Head for $1500 or less

zer0psi

• Members

Not the tightest or most versatile but plenty clear enough for me...sounds great.

Yeah I also think it sounds great but not the tightest. Well I guess you have to draw a line as to how exactly "tightness/palm mutes vs open chord rock sound" will be shared in your head. I prefer mid focus tighter amps like the mesa mark series and kinda screw on the rock thing!...Also I read you had an f-50. That is an amp that is one of the best comprimises on this department if you know how the eq works. If you don't you might sell the amp without fully exploiting it! Search tommy inkila's clips with that one. I am hearing uber dollar high gain amp clips on harmony-central for quite a while but his I think are the best in my oppinion by a long shot. Of course his mic preamps cost more than some of these amps gigidy. Provided that you like a bit of organic sounding amps vs clinical hi-fi stiffness like diezel or spongy like a bogner. I can't describe amps with tonewords damn it!!! I just think his rocked the most.

• Members

What to get?

I have two Strat, both alder/rosewood, with rail style humbuckers. Style is tight, aggressive, some palm muting, some open/chimey chords/strings, big emphasis on clarity. Like my high gain when it's necessary.

Out of these, which should I get? Also, if I'm missing anything, tell me:

- Orange TH30

- 6505 (non +)

- Fender Supersonic 60W

- Engl Thunder

- Blackstar HT Studio 20 or HT Stage 100

- PRS 'H'

- Marshall JVM205H

- Marshall Vintage Modern 2466

- Laney LH50R

So far, I
really
like the JVM205, 6505 and Studio 20. CANNOT find the Orange to save my life and liked all the other PRS and Engl stuff I've tried.

The Laney LH50 is a great amp, it covers a huge amount of ground when it comes to tones all the way from country to metal. I'm also a Strat player and i think its hard to go wrong with the Laney voicing. If you want clarity and character go with the Laney.

• Members

Well, I decided. For the sheer reason of knowing that it works for me...boosted 5150/6505 it is. First version, non +, with the shared EQ, and a boost to tighten it up a bit. Now the question is do I spend $1199 on the combo which arguably sounds better due to being biased warmer,...or do I spend $1299 on the head and a US made Randall XL can with Vintage 30's? And mod the head later. I had the chance to play and almost buy (let if off layaway....stupid!) a stock 5150 head and loved it.

Keep the 412 around and get the head, or get the combo?

• Members

buy a used 6505/5150 head for around $600 and call a tube guy that can get you a set of tubes that will run hotter in the head.I personally would get a 5152/6505+ because it is tighter than a 5150/6505

• Members

I'd play through a Marshall 2204 or 2203 if I were you and had an opportunity. They sell for around 800-1000, and I'd rather have one of the Marshalls than any of the amps you mentioned in your OP. They're classic amps, will hold their value, built well, and can be easily fixed if anything goes wrong.

• Members

I'd play through a Marshall 2204 or 2203 if I were you and had an opportunity. They sell for around 800-1000, and I'd rather have one of the Marshalls than any of the amps you mentioned in your OP. They're classic amps, will hold their value, built well, and can be easily fixed if anything goes wrong.

Found a 2203KK Kerry King signature @ one of the GC's by my house new for $1k-ish, should I check that out again?

• Members

I'm one of the guys that like the 52/05+ better than the original..I would definately look into the 2203kk also.very cool amp

Today I played a + through a Marshall 1960B w/ G12T=75's and it killed with any guitar I put through it, I want those speakers with it.

Archived