Dubstep... I get it now.

Casey

• Members

thats what i cant get into, as soon as i start groovin in comes some screeching bull{censored}. maybe i gotta be all pilled up like everyone i know who goes to the fests to see this stuff are and it would be better.

The amount of drugs these kids take is obscene. I have a couple college friends who are into this - it's embarassing.

I go drinking on weekends, they pop random pills and E and go to dubstep/jam band shows 2-3 nights a week.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ok, then, since the point of the previous post wasn't obvious enough...

Well my point is that anyone who thinks
pop
"all sounds the same" is someone who doesn't listen to
pop
enough to know what they are talking about. Its like arguing about evolution with some christian who doesn't even really understand what they are trying to argue about.

One could also question your logic of posting in a thread dedicated to a genre of music you've "never listened to" and "(Don't know) wtf it is".

• Members

The amount of drugs these kids take is obscene. I have a couple college friends who are into this - it's embarassing.

I go drinking on weekends, they pop random pills and E and go to dubstep/jam band shows 2-3 nights a week.

yeah, it really is kinda sad. i work with some people who are into it, and they basically take thursday and friday off every week in the summer cause they are off to another fest for the weekend to do any kind of drug they can find. i noticed a lot of the fest that were all jam bands are now half jam/dubstep shows. everyone was pumped for Bassnectar at the last one

• Members

Wow. Pills? E? I don't think college students have ever taken those drugs to go see rock bands, or gone out more than one night a week. Whoo. That's some pretty hard-core partying.

• Members
Wow. Pills? E? I don't think college students have ever taken those drugs to go see rock bands, or gone out more than one night a week. Whoo. That's some pretty hard-core partying.

On a regular basis? I don't have other friends who are taking E 3 times a week. People on E creep me out.

Not to mention, if you think kids buying a baggie filled with an assortment of random pills and downing them all is 'fun' and normal partying, I don't want any part of it. Call me a prude or a lame ass, but momma didn't raise me that way :idk:

• Members
To me dubstep is just an evolution in electronic/house music. People have been making music like this for years

Why'd you have to go and be so reasonable? Can't you see that the olds are busy complaining about some kind of crazy new {censored}?

• Members

On a regular basis? I don't have other friends who are taking E 3 times a week. People on E creep me out.

I'm going to go way out on a limb here and suggest that college students have been taking too many drugs, on a regular basis, since long before dubstep was even invented (or even dub, for that matter).

• Members

I don't see what old has to do with anything(27 must be old now) it was more of an observation... I just figured with the frequencies that music hits it seems it would cause more damage than most? Guess it was a question/statement? Not sure why people got defensive about it...

• Members

I'm going to go way out on a limb here and suggest that college students have been taking too many drugs, on a regular basis, since long before dubstep was even invented (or even dub, for that matter).

Why so literal bro? I'm not blaming a genre of music for people's behavior - but this is a heavy part of the subculture. Exactly what RaceU4Her is saying, these kids that I was once good friends with take off work Thurs/Fri just to drive crosscountry to go to the next big music festival with dubstep and get high/sexwithstrangersinthewoods/take copious amounts of drugs.

It's like Dave Matthews with bass farts, but it goes on year round.

• Members

I don't see what old has to do with anything(27 must be old now) it was more of an observation... I just figured with the frequencies that music hits it seems it would cause more damage than most? Guess it was a question/statement? Not sure why people got defensive about it...

It's not being defensive - it's just that you asked a ridiculous question that's remarkably similar to statements that old people make about any style of music that they don't understand.

The simple fact is that any music at a given volume (above 90db for more than an hour or so) will damage your hearing and it has nothing to do with style. There are no magical frequencies that dubstep has that metal doesn't - it's all 20-20k, and a rough approximation of the pink noise spectrum.

• Members

What frequencies are you talking about? Hearing damage comes from high frequencies, not low. I would argue that rock music has FAR more harsh high frequencies than most dubstep.

• Members

Ok, then, since the point of the previous post wasn't obvious enough...

One could also question your logic of posting in a thread dedicated to a genre of music you've "never listened to" and "(Don't know) wtf it is".

I guess I went off topic, but this whole forum is mostly off topic anyway. And I agree that I don't know much about some of those genres. I mean in my first post I said that I'm not saying that metal is progressive or innovative either. My point was that if it is stagnant, then stagnant in comparison to what? Where is all of this mind blowingly original music? I figured someone had to say it.

Also I agree with all of your edits of my other post, but I never said anything that should make you think that I wouldn't.

• Members

I guess I went off topic, but this whole forum is mostly off topic anyway. And I agree that I don't know much about some of those genres. I mean in my first post I said that I'm not saying that metal is progressive or innovative either. My point was that if it is stagnant, then stagnant in comparison to what? Where is all of this mind blowingly original music? I figured someone had to say it.

Also I agree with all of your edits of my other post, but I never said anything that should make you think that I wouldn't.

Fair enough. I think we're making similar points through opposite arguments.

I don't have a problem with metal, and I'm not really into dubstep.

My point was that it's hypocritical for a bunch of metalheads to bash on dubstep for being stagnant and sounding the same when there's a whole bunch of metal that's guilty of the exact same crimes. i wasn't bashing metal, I was pointing out the ridiculousness of the anti-dubstep sentiments.

• Members

I'm tired as hell, but basically what I meant was with as much bass/high as there is it would ruin hearing faster than say most music(Talking live shows not just listening to it like mp3/CD) just due to the peaks of each and those shows seem to be stupid loud., I just couldn't figure out how to put it into words, so tired.

• Members

Check this {censored} out:

Here's the frequency response plot of a V30:
vintage_30.gif

And here's a plot showing SPL weigting to determine exposure limits:
10gfg_9.gif
To summarize - the closer you get to 3.8k, the less time it takes to damage your hearing.

See how the speaker response is pretty much the exact compliment to the hearing damage scale?
That means that the guitar speaker cranks up the damaging frequencies and decreases the non-damaging ones.
So, in effect, guitar speakers are specifically designed to be the most efficient devices for hearing damage.

• Members

Figures, it was more of a guesstimate than anything. Either way I have worn hearing protection for exposure to loud environments for almost 16 years now. I'm scared to death of losing my hearing in any way.

• Members

Why so literal bro? I'm not blaming a genre of music for people's behavior - but this is a heavy part of the subculture.

Are you unaware that drugs have been a heavy part of the rock music subculture since the 60s?

Exactly what RaceU4Her is saying, these kids that I was once good friends with take off work Thurs/Fri just to drive crosscountry to go to the next big music festival with dubstep and get high/sexwithstrangersinthewoods/take copious amounts of drugs.

Yeah, and when I was in college, people did that to go to Dead shows. And the non-Deadheads were going to see Judas Priest or whoever the {censored} was on tour and getting {censored}ed up on alcohol and pot instead of LSD and mushrooms. Or they were going to bars and frat parties on Thursday nights to get {censored}ed up. And it was old news then.

• Members
Are you unaware that drugs have been a heavy part of the rock music subculture since the 60s?

^{censored}ed that up

I view alcohol and pot far differently than psychadelics and grab bags of prescription drugs. So do the police :idk:

Not asking you to agree with me - just stating that the heavy drug culture of rock n roll has fallen off, and now 'jam bands' and 'dubstep' are the types of music that attract that crowd.

• Members

^{censored}ed that up

I view alcohol and pot far differently than psychadelics and grab bags of prescription drugs. So do the police
:idk:

Well IN THE SIXTIES (and 70s), people were taking psychedelics and grab bags of prescription drugs, too.

Not asking you to agree with me - just stating that the heavy drug culture of rock n roll has fallen off, and now 'jam bands' and 'dubstep' are the types of music that attract that crowd.

Well, the culture of rock & roll, period, has fallen off rather considerably, especially with the under-30 crowd.

• Members
Are you unaware that drugs have been a heavy part of the rock music subculture since the 60s? Well IN THE SIXTIES (and 70s), people were taking psychedelics and grab bags of prescription drugs, too.

Well, the culture of rock & roll, period, has fallen off rather considerably, especially with the under-30 crowd.

I am that under 30 crowd :D

• Members

Loving the Dub hate on this forum. I used to be one of those ignorant metal head douches who dismissed every other form of music that's out there. "Metal has real instruments and requires talent." Bull{censored}. There's more {censored}ty metal and computerized bull{censored} metal out there as there is good, well produced, well played, metal. Dubstep and D&B are the same way. Although I think Dubstep is a bit more of an acquired taste than D&B.

• Members

Loving the Dub hate on this forum. I used to be one of those ignorant metal head douches who dismissed every other form of music that's out there. "Metal has real instruments and requires talent." Bull{censored}. There's more {censored}ty metal and computerized bull{censored} metal out there as there is good, well produced, well played, metal. Dubstep and D&B are the same way. Although I think Dubstep is a bit more of an acquired taste than D&B.

Not sure what thread you're reading, but most people here like Dubstep. We have a huge thread dedicated to it.

• Members

I think that song is horrible for the exact reason you mentioned. The melody is great, but the wobble bass {censored} in this song ruins it completely. It's probably Skrillex's worst song in his entire discography, yet it's the one that everyone seems to know.

Can't {censored}ing stand skrillex, by far my least favorite brostep producer. That said every once in a while there's a hint of something good in his songs. I actually enjoyed hearing "rock n roll" in an essential mix until it got to the obligatory autobots {censored}ing part. I like to think that Mord Fustang is what skillrex would be if he had talent and spent a lot of time hanging out with Wolfgang Gartner

Archived