question about the peavey 6505 combo

Guitarist+

• Members

This is the back of a peavey 6505 combo

If I were to unplug that speaker cable, and saw off the part of the amp that has the speaker, and rebuild a bottom for the "head", would this effectively turn the Peavey 6505 60 Watt Combo into a Peavey 6505 60 Watt Head?

s5jxbs.png

• Members

Yep, you can do that Guitarist+. There is no definite reason to, other than to separate it because that combo weighs a {censored}ton. Like 65 lbs.

Check ebay and CL for one that has already been modded like that, if you're lucky you can grab it for ~$300. Lots of time & effort in separating the cab, and lots of opportunity to screw up if you're bad with a saw.

• Members

Yep, you can do that Guitarist+. There is no definite reason to, other than to separate it because that combo weighs a {censored}ton. Like 65 lbs.

Check ebay and CL for one that has already been modded like that, if you're lucky you can grab it for ~$300. Lots of time & effort in separating the cab, and lots of opportunity to screw up if you're bad with a saw.

What should I type in the search bar, lmao? "Peavey 6505 60 watt" and scroll until I find one that is seperated?

• Members

Peavey 60 watt head, Peavey 6505 combo converted head, peavey 6505 head combo

Figure it out, you're a bright boy. For $300 or so dollars, it can't be beaten. I almost grabbed Nixer's a while back to do that to, but didn't have the money at the time because I had just bought a JCA50h and another guitar.

• Members

Why dont you look around and see if there are headshells already made? Or make one yourself. It seriously cost me about 50 bucks to build the one I made. That way, if you ever decide to sell the combo, you can just put the chassis back in there...

• Members

Why dont you look around and see if there are headshells already made? Or make one yourself. It seriously cost me about 50 bucks to build the one I made. That way, if you ever decide to sell the combo, you can just put the chassis back in there...

True, and it will be a LOT easier to sell it as a combo than a hacked-up head.

• Members

Srsly though. If you come out of this spending less than you would on a used 6505 head, it's gonna look awful.

I saw 2 go on ebay for $350 each several months ago. They looked pretty solid and the guy had made new headcases for them - but I'd definitely ask for a lot of pictures before purchase because someone could do a real hackjob of it.

I also saw one selling locally that looked great but the kid was asking $500 for it :rolleyes:

• Members

Aren't you just jamming in the garage right now? Dude, you don't need a head+cab combo for that. The combo is PLENTY loud enough to jam as is, even if you add a drummer. I mean if you want to do it, go for it, but why go to all that trouble when you don't really need to? :idk:

Archived