soldering: do you use a 25W iron or more?

Tube Sock

• Members

I have a Hakko 936, which goes up to 60 watts. However it has temperature regulation and measures itself in temperature- not in watts. I don't ever turn it up to the 896F temperature... but I suppose I could.

Are you using lead-free solder? You should honestly be able to solder a pot with most irons.

• Members

Mine is an adjustable soldering station that gets to around 90 W I think.

When soldering pots make sure the pot surface is clean. I use a little fiber optic cleaning brush from Radio Shack and clean the crap out of the soldering area.

• Members

25 is too cold for soldering to pots! 40 is about right for what you're wanting to do. If you do manage to get the back of the pot hot enough with a 25w iron chances are you're going to damage something inside the pot from overheating. 40w heats up the back enough to solder to it but does it quickly enough that not much heat will travel to the inside of the pot. Also, if it's a new pot clean it with alcohol, lighter fluid, or something similar as they're almost always coated with a corrosion inhibiting oil from the factory. THEN hit it with some fine sandpaper or steel wool. Doing this will make soldering to it a lot easier and you will get a better, more secure solder.

If you plan on doing this a lot get an adjustable soldering station like the other guys said! I just got a Xytronic XY9-60D adjustable station and I LOVE it! I can turn it down low for circuit board work, up for guitar work, etc...

• Members

If you aren't already, try a chisel tip. I find for larger jobs, like soldering to the back of pots, they make better contact and heat the joint quicker. Also keep your tip tinned and clean.

That said, I just got an adjustable iron, and I will never go back.

• Members

wlc100_thumb.gif

I use a weller soldering station that has a range of 0-40 watts. 25 watts is plenty for most DIY cases! solder efficiently and quickly. Especially quickly! you don't want to be mucking around on a chip's pin for more than a couple seconds, idealy just one. pots are more resistant. 25 watts should be enough if you hold the oron on the pot's lug for a couple seconds before applying solder, I dont know why you're having trouble! I keep mine at 30w almost all the time and don't have that problem.

• Members

I'm a horrible solderer.

Just thought I'd throw that in there. Lotsa practice...little results.

I have a $14 radio/hack iron, however, I can't blame the tools.

well i suck too. just like my playing. but i don't suppose i;ll give up just yet.

• Members

Hi...I'm actually an electronics technician for the FAA. I would suggest using eutectic (63% tin, 37% lead) rosin core solder. This is standard for electronics, as it has a relatively low melting point (361 degrees F) and an almost nonexistant plasticity stage (the period of time it is gel like going from liquid back to solid) The iron should be set at about 750 degrees F, typically a 35 watt iron will do the trick (unless you have a nice temperature controlled soldering station). Clean the case of the potentiometer with isopropyl alcohol, and rough a little bit with a wire brush. Dap a little bit of flux on the pot, as this will aid in solder flow.

• Members

thank you Kerzeck. I've got 5 electrics, and two acoustics. that's one of the two electrics I built myself. Fender American Standard neck, Allparts Surf Green body (SBF-SFG) Seymour Duncan antiquity pups, CTS pots, Gotoh tuners, and cloth covered wire. I have a friend who's been playing semi-pro for 30 years, who hates strats...plays Les Pauls, he says this thing almost makes him wanna play a Strat!

Archived