Tube Ticking

CountGrishnackh

• Members

I just got a new amp the other day, Kustom Defender, love the hell out of the tones I am squeezing out of it.

One issue though...the tubes, the actual tubes, are making a clicking/ticking sound when warming up and cooling down. Not coming through the speaker or anything, I can hear it when it's warming up on standby and for about 10 minutes after turning it off. I'd imagine it has something to do with the glass expanding.

They seem to be running fine, no unusual glow or tone issues. Just like someone taking a pin and tapping the glass every few seconds.

Normal? Haven't noticed this on my other tube amps, but those are well used and the tubes very broken in.

• Members

Most likely it's not the tubes themselves but parts of the chassis and/or things screwed (rivited?) to the chassis that are creeking. If you really want to find out, turn the amp off and quickly remove the tubes (you'll need an ov glove) and listen for where the creeking is coming from. Be careful because tubes are more fragile when hot.

• Members

I just got a new amp the other day, Kustom Defender, love the hell out of the tones I am squeezing out of it.

One issue though...the tubes, the actual tubes, are making a clicking/ticking sound when warming up and cooling down. Not coming through the speaker or anything, I can hear it when it's warming up on standby and for about 10 minutes after turning it off. I'd imagine it has something to do with the glass expanding.

They seem to be running fine, no unusual glow or tone issues. Just like someone taking a pin and tapping the glass every few seconds.

Normal? Haven't noticed this on my other tube amps, but those are well used and the tubes very broken in.

Why don't you go ask those asshats on GJ, maybe they'll give you some info based on their infinite knowledge of........................................

absolutely nothing..........................:idea::idea::idea::idea::idea::idea::idea::idea:

• Members

I love the Defender 50 watt combo. Almost pulled the trigger on that amp several times myself

I'm really enjoying it so far. The cleans are deep and lush, slight breakup sounds phenomenal for blues. Although it's simple, there is alot of tonal variation to be found. Great reverb, large tank. It's a dark reverb, but works well for anything short of surf(I have the FRV pedal, so that isn't a problem).

Driving it hard, I find less appealing with singles. It's just...not quite there. I'm sure cranking it louder will improve that. Hums sound great driving it, really aids in taking the stock gain further and smoothing out the harshness. I hear it's moderately pedal friendly, so I'll try a few OD/distortions through it.

What I like most about it though aside from what I've mentioned...it sounds big. It's just a 1-12", but it sounds much bigger than most 1-12"s. The bass response is great, and fills the room to a surprising level.

So far i'm very happy. I nabbed it for an excellent price, and I noticed they seem to be coming out with new defender models, or have come out with them, so keep your eyes peeled for this model at a discount soon.

• Members

I'm really enjoying it so far. The cleans are deep and lush, slight breakup sounds phenomenal for blues. Although it's simple, there is alot of tonal variation to be found. Great reverb, large tank. It's a dark reverb, but works well for anything short of surf(I have the FRV pedal, so that isn't a problem).

Driving it hard, I find less appealing with singles. It's just...not quite there. I'm sure cranking it louder will improve that. Hums sound great driving it, really aids in taking the stock gain further and smoothing out the harshness. I hear it's moderately pedal friendly, so I'll try a few OD/distortions through it.

What I like most about it though aside from what I've mentioned...it sounds big. It's just a 1-12", but it sounds much bigger than most 1-12"s. The bass response is great, and fills the room to a surprising level.

So far i'm very happy. I nabbed it for an excellent price, and I noticed they seem to be coming out with new defender models, or have come out with them, so keep your eyes peeled for this model at a discount soon.

This amp loves tube screamer type od's. I had a delta labs tube overdrive that I used with mine and it was perfect.

This amp will really teach you how to use your volume knob too. It's hard to play anything else after owning it because I loved how much of a dynamic/organic feel to it.

My b-52 comes very close though.

• Members

This amp loves tube screamer type od's. I had a delta labs tube overdrive that I used with mine and it was perfect.

This amp will really teach you how to use your volume knob too. It's hard to play anything else after owning it because I loved how much of a dynamic/organic feel to it.

My b-52 comes very close though.

I absolutely agree with the volume knob thing. That is preciously what I got while using this amp, it really takes slight volume knob adjustments well.

It's more or less going to be used for surf and rockabilly, sounds great so far.

Archived