For those looking for the $99 HP Touchpads...

MattACaster

• Members

You realize the reason they are priced so low is to get rid of them, because they are not going to continue making them...because they have a {censored} OS on them and there's no dev support, right?

It'll be a $99 paperweight inside a year...

WebOS is pretty sweet, IMO. I had a Palm Pre for a while and the OS was nice, but the phone was under powered. Either way, you can stick Android on the Touchpad if you don't like WebOS.

• Members
  • Members

Android is not ported yet. Videos are fake. $2000 dollar reward for first to do it. It will happen just when. There is however a Linux port ( UBUNTU )... This should offer lots of life. Obviously when Android ports it will breath new life into it also. For $99 it sure beats a kindle or Nook even if you just use it to read books. Just my 2c....

• Members

webOS is probably the best of the operating systems IMO. I had a palm pre plus, and like someone said the phone itself was {censored}, but the operating system was beautifully laid out and so easy to use. they aren't seriously discontinuing them are they?

Yup, and webOS, except for wanting to port it to printers for god only knows why?

Of course...maybe the interest sparked in it will change their minds now? :idk:

• Members
You realize the reason they are priced so low is to get rid of them, because they are not going to continue making them...because they have a {censored} OS on them and there's no dev support, right?

It'll be a $99 paperweight inside a year...

articles I have read recently:

1) HP did an OTA update AFTER the blowout, and made a statement that they continue to support the OS regardless they continue to manufacture the device. FWIW, YMMV, all that {censored}

2) "They" have, at the very least, booted Android OS on the Touchpad. One might assume that once the bugs are worked out, the hardware will be viable for long after the cycle of "oh I have to have the newest {censored}" guys have long forgotten about it.

3) webOS was by far the best OS offerred to date....by ANY manufacturer

okay #3 is kind of moot now :D;)

jmo. ymmv, fwiw, etc.:o

Archived