Contemplating a pickup change

C-Dawg

• Members

I have a Motor City Pickups Afwayu pickup in the bridge of my '68 Reissue Les Paul Custom. I play hard rock and some metal (think Alter Bridge, Killswith Engage, Trivium type tones...) The Afwayu that I have in there now seems harsh in the high end. It gets a little tiresome after a while, it kinda starts grating at my ears. I've had this pickup in the guitar for a few years now and never seemed to have gelled with it. I didn't really like the original pickup that was in there either, which I think was a '57 classic.

Anyways, so I have been thinking about getting a new pickup for a while now. I have a duncan custom with an alnico 8 magnet in it that is in my epiphone les paul and I really like it. It sounds clear in the highs with strong base but not flubby at all. I don't want to just put the same pickup in this guitar though, I want something different, just to have two different types of tones. I really want to get a pickup that sounds very throaty and growly. I guess that would mean I want something with a lot of grinding mids. This has led me to consider the Bareknuckles Pickups Painkiller. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this pickup in a les paul custom? I've heard a lot of people say that it is a middy pickup, and that is the description it gets on their website. I don't necessarily find my les paul to be a middy guitar. I guess it is on the bright side. I'd like to have very tight but very present base along with strong mids; my guitar will take care of the treble so I don't necessarily need a pickup with a lot of highs.

Does anyone here think this would be a good pickup for my application? I'm tired of my $500 epiphone les paul sounding better to my ears than my $3000 les paul custom.

Also, what configuration should I go for? I have a gold cover on my Afwayu so it would look stock. I was wondering if an open coil pickup would look better and whether black coils or zebra coils would look best. Look at my guitar and tell me what you think:

DSC03407-Resized.jpg

Give me suggestions! :mad:

• Members

I dunno if the 59's have enough output. I have one in the neck position of my epiphone and I do love it as a neck pickup tho! I felt like the 57 classic had the same type of harshness in the highs (just not as severe) as my afwayu. Thats why I think it is perpetuated by my guitar, hence maybe finding an aggressive pickup only with less high end.

• Members

I dunno if the 59's have enough output. I have one in the neck position of my epiphone and I do love it as a neck pickup tho! I felt like the 57 classic had the same type of harshness in the highs (just not as severe) as my afwayu. Thats why I think it is perpetuated by my guitar, hence maybe finding an aggressive pickup only with less high end.

Weird, I think the 57 classics are anything but harsh in the highs, they're much smoother than burstbuckers etc. Though I haven't heard them with an ebony board which could be what's going on. I've heard good things about duncan antiquities too.

• Members

I have a painkiller that I would sell ya. Its tight and definitely has a hi mid that sort of accentuates the tightness, while adding a lot of attack. Clean settings, they sound really big and warm. Under distortion they sound like I described. Loud, tight and a lot of attack.

• Members

Rio Grande BBQ would sound good

I was thinking the Rio Grande Crunchbox myself.... It is an awesome pickup!!!

EDIT: This clip was using a Rio Grande Crunchbox and Marshall DSL 100... The guitar was an LTD MH-1000, which was all mahogany except the rosewood fret board.

http://netmusicians.org/files/13-The_End_of_Heartache.mp3

Cole

• Members

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions. I'll have to check these pickups out. I used to be interested in the rio grande BBQ pickup until I read a description that said it had a loose low end, and I definitely don't want that. I'll email bareknuckle today and see what they suggest. I guess I could also just put the '57 custom back into the guitar and give it another go. I just figured that if I was gonna go through the trouble of changing out the pickups, I should at least put a new pickup in there :D . Those painkillers have always intrigued me, as well.

• Members

I would go for a 500T or Dirty Fingers. It will do what you want just fine, it's a Gibson pickup (to keep things somewhat stock) and it won't cost you an arm and a leg.

Some lesson to be learned there:

I'm tired of my $500 epiphone les paul sounding better to my ears than my $3000 les paul custom.

I still haven't found any "boutique" pickup that justifies the increased cost over the tried-and-true SD, DM, Gibson etc. But YMMV.

Also, open coils would look absolutely killer on this guitar.

• Members

I would go for a 500T or Dirty Fingers. It will do what you want just fine, it's a Gibson pickup (to keep things somewhat stock) and it won't cost you an arm and a leg.

I still haven't found any "boutique" pickup that justifies the increased cost over the tried-and-true SD, DM, Gibson etc. But YMMV.

Troof.

• Members

Also, open coils would look absolutely killer on this guitar.

While I 100% agree with you on this (I self admittedly love my alnico 8 modified duncan SH-5), I don't really think that bare knuckle and motor city pickups cost that much over the gibson that you recommended. To buy new (which I know I wouldn't have to with so many 500Ts available used), I would only save about $10 over a bare knuckle sent to my house from across the pond in the UK. I don't think $10 is too much to sacrifice to try something different. If I was looking for something like a PAF type of pickup, I would have no problem staying with tried and true brands like SD, DM, or Gibson. But since I am looking into trying something different, thats why I was asking for some advice on the painkiller. I know it is a love-it-or-hate-it pickup so I wanted to get peoples opinions on both sides about it. I may just say screw it and get another SH-5 and an alnico 8 magnet and put it in my LPC, I still haven't decided.

Thanks for the advice!

• Members

seymour duncan alnico 2 pro in the bridge and neck or in the neck with a custom 5 in the bridge.

I'm starting to wonder if I just don't like alnico 5 magnets. I love the alnico 8 in my SH-5 though (same pickup as the custom 5 only with a different magnet).

• Members

While I 100% agree with you on this (I self admittedly love my alnico 8 modified duncan SH-5), I don't really think that bare knuckle and motor city pickups cost that much over the gibson that you recommended. To buy new (which I know I wouldn't have to with so many 500Ts available used), I would only save about $10 over a bare knuckle sent to my house from across the pond in the UK. I don't think $10 is too much to sacrifice to try something different. If I was looking for something like a PAF type of pickup, I would have no problem staying with tried and true brands like SD, DM, or Gibson. But since I am looking into trying something different, thats why I was asking for some advice on the painkiller. I know it is a love-it-or-hate-it pickup so I wanted to get peoples opinions on both sides about it. I may just say screw it and get another SH-5 and an alnico 8 magnet and put it in my LPC, I still haven't decided.

Thanks for the advice!

It's true, but the used market is full of Gibson pickups for cheap. I recommend buying used if you don't know exactly what you want and you're just trying out different flavors. You can re-sell it and break even if it's not for you.

• Members

I'm starting to wonder if I just don't like alnico 5 magnets. I love the alnico 8 in my SH-5 though (same pickup as the custom 5 only with a different magnet).

well, 5 and ceramic both have tight attack.

the alnico 2 pro has a bit more smooth attack, but has incredible harmonics. probably not the best for a bridge pup if you are playing tight, aggressive music but they sing in the neck like no other.

don't know nuthin' bout no 8s.

Archived