Jet City JCA50/100H mods

J.custom

• Members

the amp can't safely operate with KT88's according to mike soldano/doug. I only ran them at bedroom volumes (didn't have any problems) but I also ran EL34's (another no no) at bedroom without problems but they red-plated like crazy during sound check at a show when the amp was pushed harder.

the KT66's have been my favorite.

Zach did the SLO100 mods on my lead channel that cleaned up the gain some. With that, the 66's and tweaked bias, the amp is killer.

• Members

The shared EQ didn't bother me...

I'd like something which can get more of the modern (Diezel, ENGL) grind on the OD channel.

Is there a way to add a second preamp/master to the clean channel? (or even just a footswitchable crunch ala 6505+) The clean channel does clean AND crunch so well it's a shame to only use it for one or the other. Then with a modern OD channel that would be a KILLER (pseudo) 3 channel.

I had a 50H for awhile...but I sold it because it didn't have enough bass on the gain side. I'm considering a HDM...which should help with that.

Seems like you guys want a bit more of an aggressive amp. I'll see about the clean crunch footswitch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Right now, am loving the amp as it is, stock. But I wish that I could get a tight bass response out of the amp! Like John Petrucci/Nuno Bettencourt kinda tight, so that I can get a more percussive sound.

You do the depth mod yet? what speakers are you rocking and in what cab btw?

• Members

Right now, am loving the amp as it is, stock. But I wish that I could get a tight bass response out of the amp! Like John Petrucci/Nuno Bettencourt kinda tight, so that I can get a more percussive sound.

Not really the amp for that, but I got a substantial different in low end tightness when i switched over to the Sovteks. Still no where near as tight as my 2203 though.

• Members

How bout JJ's? I just got a Boss FV300L and put it in the efx loop, so it's sort of like an attenuator. Managed to crank the normal channel's master vol to 6, gain's at 3. OD master vol to 3, gain's at 5. Sounds way more open now, a lot of the fizzy-ness gone!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm going to make the ultimate 100h mod thread (hopefully it will get as popular as my 20h mod thread, 75,713 views and counting) as soon as I have the cash to get a 100.

I have more than a few good ideas to add to that amp but i want to try them out first.

speaking of jca any one seen doug around?

I'll be watching this intently. Love my JCA 50, but there's still more tone to be gotten from it.

• 7 years later...
  • Moderators
Hi guys is this post still going ?

Im wanting more gain from the crunch channel on my 100hdm and wondered how i could achieve that ? Ideally i would want basically 2 of the overdrive channels as i could use one for solo boosts

from 2011...likely these folks are long gone...

Archived