Beer Nerds.....what's in your cellar?

mhenson42

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I refuse $10+ for a 6 pack.

Quality has its price. I bet you'll go to a club or a concert and pay $8 to $10 for a single beer though. I certainly won't if they are serving typical American lagers.

Goose Island Bourbon County stout is $22 for a 4 pack. If I see it, I buy it. All of it the store has. lol.

Most 22 oz bottles of imperial stuff will run you $13 or so. I have a few that I paid $20 for. With the alochol content of these beers, all you need is on 22oz and you'll be feeling pretty good.

• Members

fair enough, but I refuse to consider them American companies. Missouri pleaded with AB to not sell, so as to keep that money in the US, however they didn't give a {censored}.

plus that {censored} sucks. seriously.

While I agree that those beers suck, they are examples of the type of beer known as an American Lager, regardless of who owns them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_lager

• Members

There are more popping up in Ontario all the time, there also seem to be lots in Alberta these days, but for wicked microbreweries Quebec is where its at. There are a few depanneurs over in Gatineau that take a lot of pride in their beer selection and it really is surprising how many microbreweries there in in Quebec that are producing super kick-ass brews.

But yeah, I hear a lot about beers that I know I'll never see here. However there are importers who bring more exotic stuff - for example there's an outfit in Toronto that imports Mikkeller's stuff - so as long as you want a case there's that route.

Just about every little town in BC has one too. The problem is here that they all brew the same varieties. They do a lager or pilsner, a brown ale, an IPA, sometimes a honey brown, and a stout if they're *really* adventurous. The old brewmaster from Big Rock just started up a new one here in Calgary ("Brew Brothers") but it kinda sounds like they'll be doing the same.

• Members

quit being a {censored}, or start drinking nasty south african piss lager like Miller.

Light colored =/= pisswater. Personally, I MUCH prefer German and especially Czech pilsners over any other kind of beer. I'll take Warsteiner over any craft porter, and I'll take Summit EPA over Guinness everyday and six times on Saturday. And don't get me started on Belgian style ales.

• Members

Light colored =/= pisswater. Personally, I MUCH prefer German and especially Czech pilsners over any other kind of beer. I'll take Warsteiner over any craft porter, and I'll take Summit EPA over Guinness everyday and six times on Saturday. And don't get me started on Belgian style ales.

I don't think that's what he's getting at. I can appreciate a good German Hefe or Czech pilsner that is made well. It's the {censored} that is "triple hops brewed" for no apparent reason that = pisswater.

• Members

Just about every little town in BC has one too. The problem is here that they all brew the same varieties. They do a lager or pilsner, a brown ale, an IPA, sometimes a honey brown, and a stout if they're *really* adventurous. The old brewmaster from Big Rock just started up a new one here in Calgary ("Brew Brothers") but it kinda sounds like they'll be doing the same.

Funny - a lot craft and micro brews in the states don't do lager styles because of the additional cost involved due to refrigeration and longer turn-around time. Unfortunately, a lot of the ones who do try their hand at lagers don't produce very good ones, particularly when it comes to pilsners. Lagunitas comes to mind as one who missed the mark on pils. Very malty, and nowhere near enough spice from the hops. It's closer to Budweiser than Czechvar Budweis. Ditto Summit Pilsener and Surly Hell. On the other hand, sometimes they knock them out of the park, like Schell Pils or (though I haven't seen it in a while) Boulevard Imperial Pilsner.

Anyway, it's all a matter of taste. I just wish more quality brewers catered to mine!

• Members

I don't think that's what he's getting at. I can appreciate a good German Hefe or Czech pilsner that is made well. It's the {censored} that is "triple hops brewed" for no apparent reason that = pisswater.

Fortunately, those same brewers offer things like the vortex bottle (to ensure you spend as little time as possible tasting the beer) or coldness-meters (to ensure that the nasty flavors in the beer have been sufficiently muted by cold). Ah, innovation!

• Members

Quality has its price. I bet you'll go to a club or a concert and pay $8 to $10 for a single beer though. I certainly won't if they are serving typical American lagers.

Goose Island Bourbon County stout is $22 for a 4 pack. If I see it, I buy it. All of it the store has. lol.

Most 22 oz bottles of imperial stuff will run you $13 or so. I have a few that I paid $20 for. With the alochol content of these beers, all you need is on 22oz and you'll be feeling pretty good.

I was wondering about that Bourbon County stout...they have a bunch of it they're trying to get rid of at my local wine and spirits...might have to pick up some. I don't mind dropping the coin on something I know is good but I haven't heard of the Goose Island stuff before. Also some of you can kiss my ass...I can't get a lot of the good {censored} here in Arkansas...

• Members

I was wondering about that Bourbon County stout...they have a bunch of it they're trying to get rid of at my local wine and spirits...might have to pick up some. I don't mind dropping the coin on something I know is good but I haven't heard of the Goose Island stuff before. Also some of you can kiss my ass...I can't get a lot of the good {censored} here in Arkansas...

Do it. Goose Island is an outstanding brewer. The Bourbon County is always near the top of the annual best beer lists. I'd say it's the best beer I've ever tasted. You better like bourbon though.

• Members
Fortunately, those same brewers offer things like the vortex bottle (to ensure you spend as little time as possible tasting the beer) or coldness-meters (to ensure that the nasty flavors in the beer have been sufficiently muted by cold). Ah, innovation!

exactly :lol:

• Members

lol. I refuse to consider that {censored} beer.

Should there be a comma after "{censored}", or "that"?

Cause it really changes the meaning. :cop:

:lol:

BTW, In the fridge currently, I've got Bitburger cans, Sam Adams Latitude 48 IPA (I LOVE those two mixed), Modelo Especial, Stone IPA, Moylans Tipperary IPA...and a Moose Drool.

:idk:

• Members

We have the same problem in Ontario. The vast majority of microbreweries here just do lagers and pilsners. The Quebec ones though, they're doing Belgium style beers... big and spicy, 8%-13% alcohol, dubbels, trippels, blondes, etc. Dynamite stuff.

• Members

wrong. love ya, Neil, but Matt knows what he is talking about. A lot of the craft brew stuff does get better with age. Matt used to supply the ATX ampfests with beer, and he was always a gentleman about bringing some extra nice stuff for us to try. I know he would always hand me some delicious IPA's that were extremely hard to find.

On top of the aging... when people like him are out and about, it's best to stock up since a lot of those beers are local to various regions of the US. Not like the UK where everything is a subway ride away
;)

This makes sense

no planning ahead? c'mon meow. I used to buy and then drink too... when I was in college. I always have several varieties of beer on hand, to account for my constantly changing mood. I ended up drinking Sierra Nevada the other night, because the Oktoberfest stuff didn't sound as good.

Also the markets in Europe and Japan are more geared to selling single servings of the stuff. I popped in just about every shop I saw in Germany, and would grab a beer or two. Was so strange to have them offer to open it for me when i was leaving. I was pretty much just like "Oh? Why, yes please do open this for me! I am ready to drink it and this saves me having to use my Bic lighter/fist
:love:
"

here in the US it's illegal to drink alcohol on the same property as the place you bought it. In addition, most of the beer here is sold in quantities starting in 6 packs.

Finally, my local Central Market has at least 3x the beer selection as that picture
:o
Imported, domestic, craft beers... good stuff!

The pic only shows the bear not the lagers, and that one is the local one 5 min from my old house, the bigger supermakets have more.

I will add I am not a fan of the bear here in Japan, they have a few good lagars but I miss real good ales.

And as for my comments I guess a different beer culture in the UK its very very old, prehistoric old (not dinosaur prehistoric :D) and our beer culture in europe is not the same. I guess a lot of beers are aged before they are bought from the local breweries.

But the English attittude is dont save it, enjoy it (when it comes to beer)

• Members
If you don't wanna age your beer, then you don't know what you are missing. Beers that age well tend to be barrel aged imperial stouts, imperial IPAs, Barleywines and Belgian Quads - all high alcohol stuff that smooths out and mellows over time. The taste definitely improves. On Saturday we drank a 2005 Avery Beast and a 2011 Avery Beast - in the picture on the original post - and the 2005 was way better. Aging lagers, pilsners and low ABV beers probably ain't gonna help and will probably end up tasting like {censored}.

A few examples....Deschutes actually dates their reserve beers (Abyss, Black Butte 23, etc) with best after dates. My 2010 Abyss says best after 11/15/11. Sierra Nevada Bigfoot dates each bottle specifically for aging. Goose Island Bourbon County says on the face of the bottle "ages well for up to 5 years." Stone Double Bastard says "age at cellar temperature knucklehead", etc....

Here's my bar.... Right now I have Great Divide Oak Aged Espresso Yeti (imperial Stout) and Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA on draft.

bar4-21.jpg

amps3-27.jpg

Oh hey dude. What ya got in this room> Oh! What's this? EVERY REASON IN THE WORLD TO KILL A MAN AND TAKE OVER HIS LIFE!!!

...not really, but damn dude! That's ridiculous!

-Curtis

• Members

We have the same problem in Ontario. The vast majority of microbreweries here just do lagers and pilsners. The Quebec ones though, they're doing Belgium style beers... big and spicy, 8%-13% alcohol, dubbels, trippels, blondes, etc. Dynamite stuff.

Unibroue has some good ones yeah, too bad there's enough sulphites in 'em to give me an asthma attack :cry:

• Members

What are some good beers to try which I can easily get from a BC Liqor Store? It's so expensive here that I don't wanna be stuck with a crate of beer I don't like. I quite liked Granville Island Lager, it's better than Whistler Brewing Co's Whiskey Jack which was average. I prefer something easy to drink and refreshing so I can have a few after a days riding, rather than something heavy and distinctive.

• Members

What are some good beers to try which I can easily get from a BC Liqor Store? It's so expensive here that I don't wanna be stuck with a crate of beer I don't like. I quite liked Granville Island Lager, it's better than Whistler Brewing Co's Whiskey Jack which was average. I prefer something easy to drink and refreshing so I can have a few after a days riding, rather than something heavy and distinctive.

Anything from Mt. Begbie (Revelstoke) is good, if you can find their Kolsch or Cream Ale those are the lightest ones. They had an IPA at the Calgary Beerfest this year that was AWESOME, but I don't think it made it onto shelves anywhere.

Crannog breweries is another good one, their stout is amazing (and it's called "The Backhand of God" :lol:) They only sell their product in pigs/half kegs/full kegs though so that's a little more tricky.

If you like IPA's, the Tree Brewing Hophead IPA is not bad but it's quite hoppy with a bitter finish (If your idea of IPA is Keith's then you might wanna pass on this).

Fernie First Trax Brown ale is nice & light... a bit on the sweet side... very malty.

You'd probably like the Granville English Bay Pale Ale too if you liked their lager.

Dead Frog has some nice light ones too.

Here's a list if you're curious about some others: http://www.bcbeer.ca/brewery.aspx

• Members

I've got a bottle of Surly Five, SN/Dogfish Life & Limb 2, Black Butte XXIII, some Dark Horse Plead the Fifth, Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin, and Weyerbacher Heresy. Also picked up some Oaked Arrogant Bastard on sale, as well as Founder's Breakfast Stout, the other week. Those won't last long though ;)

Archived