Keeley Mods?

EricJohn

• Members

Nothing you can't do yourself with a soldering iron and $5 worth of parts.

But then again, pedals are a joke anyway as none of the parts exceed like $20

No {censored}. I'd love to try to build a digital delay. ODs and distortions are easy. Fuzz too. It's the modulation effects and time based effects that are trickier unless you buy a kit.

• Members

I had two Keeley pedals years ago: A compressor and a modded TS-9. This was bout 8 years ago when this internet hype was really heavy. For the life of me I never understood why. The TS-9 sounded about the same as a $30 Digitech Bad Monkey and the compressor had that squishy sound to it I hate. Later on Keely added some knobs to his compressor to address the "attack" problem but I found a more elegant answer was to just buy a Barber Tone Press that blends dry signal in with compressed signal. Thankfully I got most of my money back reselling on Ebay.

• Members

I think the Keeley modded SD-1 is absolutely worth the money and is probably my favorite pedal ever. It allows me to get get the tone I hear in my head.

FWIW I owned it and a stock SD-1 at the same time.....the keeley blows it away, no comparison. Night and day.

Haven't used any other Keeley mods/pedals so I dunno.

• Members

I think the Keeley modded SD-1 is absolutely worth the money and is probably my favorite pedal ever. It allows me to get get the tone I hear in my head.

FWIW I owned it and a stock SD-1 at the same time.....the keeley blows it away, no comparison. Night and day.

Haven't used any other Keeley mods/pedals so I dunno.

Yea I have a modded TS9 flexi. You can tell it's got extra zazz. If you can actually mod and not eff up your pedal tho, go for it.

• Members

No {censored}. I'd love to try to build a digital delay. ODs and distortions are easy. Fuzz too. It's the modulation effects and time based effects that are trickier unless you buy a kit.

A kit is definitely the way to go for some of the more complicated circuits.

Even then they're only like $80 to $100 or so.

Plus used pedals are usually dirt cheap on EBay or craigslist.

Even for Digital Delays etc.

• Members

I had two Keeley pedals years ago: A compressor and a modded TS-9. This was bout 8 years ago when this internet hype was really heavy. For the life of me I never understood why. The TS-9 sounded about the same as a $30 Digitech Bad Monkey and the compressor had that squishy sound to it I hate. Later on Keely added some knobs to his compressor to address the "attack" problem but I found a more elegant answer was to just buy a Barber Tone Press that blends dry signal in with compressed signal. Thankfully I got most of my money back reselling on Ebay.

I had his comp too. The Barber Tone press, to me, is much better

• Members

I was batting around the idea of having Keeley mod my RAt. Instead, I spent twenty bucks on the Vodka Mods kit and did it myself. I have always loved Rats, but my modded Rat is just a whole other level. It's frigging sweet. I have another Rat that I'm going to mod at some point. I just haven't decided how I want to mod it.

My next project will be modding a Boss CS3 with the Monte Allums kit.

My advice is to put that money towards a soldering iron and learn how to do these things yourself. It's fun and cheaper in the long run

• Members

What do you want out of a pedal?

A few no brainers:

- Fulltone OCD

- Crowther Hotcake

- Keeley Java

- Bad Monkey boost

Some are cheap, some more expensive.. really depends on the taste you have.

looking to pair it with a Boss Blues Driver. The Blues Driver would be basically always on to give the amp a little more oomph. Other pedal would be for mid range and sustain when doing solos.

Archived