Treble set at Zero, Bass at 10, but my amp is still too 'trebly', can this be fixed?

cheney50mc

• Members

Hi there,

I have a Fender Super Champ and I have to set the treble at zero and the bass at 10 to get a good sound, I've had the amp for over 20 years, I didn't think that it used to be like this...I've changed the tubes...

It seems kind of the same for my Laney VC30, although there is a mid setting so I have a bit more wiggle room...

Anyone else come across this problem? Thanks for your help.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

it could be a case of the player...I have a rivera r30 and I keep the eq roughly 6/5/6 for b/m/t but I can hand my guitar to a buddy of mine right after me playing it and he will have to turn the treble down to 0 otherwise it's way to piercing, it was really strange, he'd hand the guitar back to me and it would sound muddy when I played it so i'd have to turn the treble back up.

• Members

it could be a case of the player...I have a rivera r30 and I keep the eq roughly 6/5/6 for b/m/t but I can hand my guitar to a buddy of mine right after me playing it and he will have to turn the treble down to 0 otherwise it's way to piercing, it was really strange, he'd hand the guitar back to me and it would sound muddy when I played it so i'd have to turn the treble back up.

There's that too. Glad to see you posting more good friend!

• Members

Maybe your hearing's shot? The first sign of ear damage other than the constant ringing is a perceived lack of high frequencies.

• Members

:lol:

:D

Its sad for him though. He's like the only shredder I can stand listening too. Hell, I actually like listening too. Dude makes shredding fun instead of a clinic.

Ok, sorry OP, Paul Gilbert has nothing to do with your amps sounding trebley. Its probably your ears though. Maybe experiment with darker sounding pickups?

• Members

:D

Its sad for him though. He's like the only shredder I can stand listening too. Hell, I actually like listening too. Dude makes shredding fun instead of a clinic.

Ok, sorry OP, Paul Gilbert has nothing to do with your amps sounding trebley. Its probably your ears though. Maybe experiment with darker sounding pickups?

Yeah I get how you feel. I never get tired of some PG.

And yeah, if your amp's treble knob is at '0' and you still find it piercing, get some darker pups of better yet, darker speakers.

• Members

Maybe your hearing's shot? The first sign of ear damage other than the constant ringing is a perceived lack of high frequencies.

definitely not the case, I recently had my ears checked for a job and I passed with flying colors. It was definitely the other guy playing, it wasn't just him and I, my gf was there too and she had the same reaction I did.

• Members

Actually sometimes it's an over sensitivity to high frequencies.

Could do with a geeky smily here, the closest I can do is by mixing these ones...

:cool::p:idea::o

Archived