PRO WRESTLING FANS: I know you cats are out there!

EricJohn

• Members

I'm always told "it's fake" and "it's a soap opera for men," to which I reply "yeah, so what!"

I've loved pro wrestling since the mid 70's when I watched a local wrestling show called "Wrestling Hawaii." Bobby Heenan was on it, a very young Roddy Piper, Mr. Fuji (who's actually from Hawaii, not Japan). Then there was the legendary Georgia Championship Wrestling with Gordon Solie on the mic (anyone remember the phrase "Pier 6 Brawl").

Of course there's the golden era of the eighties with Hulkamania in the WWF and the Nature Boy Ric Flair in the NWA.

• Members

I was big into WCW my first two years in college 98-00. After that I sorta got busy with other stuff and haven't paid a lick of attention since. It was lots of fun though. About 8 of us from my floor got together every Monday night to watch...Nitro? Whatever the monday night WCW was. We watched a lil WWF, but for me, during that era, the wrestlers to watch were all WCW and the guys in the WWF all seemed gimmicky as hell to me. Even for wrestlers. :lol:

Played the HELL out of the WCW game for N64.

• Members

Still watch it to this day. Spaced Out Ace and chriscb (sp?) are fans too.

Been watching since I was 8, year later Wrestlemania happened. Has changed over the years, I watch it for the finishing moves, teh LULZ, and the Divas/Knockouts.

Coming from the 3rd World, I've told people that I've recorded wrestling videos and pretended to be a commentator, that's how I improved my English diction. :lol:

• Members

Still watch it to this day. Spaced Out Ace and chriscb (sp?) are fans too.

Been watching since I was 8, year later Wrestlemania happened. Has changed over the years, I watch it for the finishing moves, teh LULZ, and the Divas/Knockouts.

Coming from the 3rd World, I've told people that I've recorded wrestling videos and pretended to be a commentator, that's how I improved my English diction.
:lol:

I saw this thread and immediately thought of you...no homo lol.

I used to watch it a lot in the mid 90's Diesel was the man, then I stop paying attention after a few years but my best friends in high school were huge into it, even going so far as to wear the chuck and billy headbands during a debate tournament.

Coolest pro-wrestling story I have; I was at an airport in philly and I see this massive shadow next to me and I look to my left and see this dude's forearm right in my face...I look up and this dude is huge, but he also looks familiar. I turned to my little sister and asked her to look and see if she recognizes him. She does and I take another look and it turns out this massive dude is Kevin Nash.

n16718617_38065381_8266.jpg

• Members

I'm a very big fan of Adam Copeland aka edge who recently retired to prevent further injury with the belt. He'd always been the only good thing about the pg era (aside from c.m. punk). He had good ring skills and was second only to chris jericho when it came to mic skills.
He had great moments and epic feuds, from the wrestlemania super spear to slapping john cenas dad.
He has too many moments but i'll post up a couple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBJtF4Saooc

All you guys that are out of the loop should check out c.m. Punk.

• Members

I remember several years ago, one of my uncles entered a contest for the hell of it that, I think, TNT or TBS was having. Participants were supposed to finish the following statement with 5 words: I love professional wrestling because _____ ______ ______ _____ ______. The winners would get free tickets to a match. He sent in "duh, I got no brain," as a joke. He won. He said it looks even more fake in person than it does on TV.

• Members

I remember several years ago, one of my uncles entered a contest for the hell of it that, I think, TNT or TBS was having. Participants were supposed to finish the following statement with 5 words: I love professional wrestling because _____ ______ ______ _____ ______. The winners would get free tickets to a match. He sent in "duh, I got no brain," as a joke. He won. He said it looks even more fake in person than it does on TV.

Dude some guys wrestle better at house shows. I remember shelton benjamin and christian wrestled their hearts out at a house show once (This was the same show were edge got his ligament injury).

• Members

It was all we watched growing up. Back when they had characters you could really get into and stuff. :thu:

I'm kinda glad they cleaned it up some too. I don't know if I'd have been happy with some of the "Attitude" era stuff they were putting out and my kids were watching honestly. But I realize they were competing with WCW at the time so it made sense to get more edgy.

I don't watch much anymore just b/c 2 hours 2x a week is a lot for my schedule but I hope my kids get into it. It's a blast. I've probably been to a dozen live events including Wrestlemania here in Houston. :thu:

• Members

Loved wrestling for decades. I got into it way back in the early 80's. Loved the whole Iron Sheik / Bob Backlund era, Jimmy Snuka, Mr. Fuki & Saito. Those were great ties in wrestling. I remember the first Wrestlemania. Got out of it for a while when the WCW came around. Got back into when The Rock and Mick Foley were big but it lost it's shine back in maybe 1999 for me.

Archived