pedal power suppliers

guitarbilly74

• Members

Hey guys

I've been thinking of getting a new power supplier for my board to avoid noise issues whenever I have the amp and the board connected to the same outlet or to an outlet with a common ground.

I know the BEST answer here is the VL Pedal Power or something equivalent, but I am reluctant to pay $150 or so to power 4 {censored}ing pedals that cost me an average of $50 each :mad:.

I am only using pedals in front of the amp.. tuner, wha, boost, chorus and using the 1-spot, which is fine as long as I don't have it connected to the same electrical source as the amp. Any cheaper alternatives that would also work well? Maybe a power strip with isolated outs? Hum X?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

All you need to do is wire up a power cord with a pair of antiparallel (like parallel resistors, but the diodes face in opposite directions) diodes in series with the ground lug.

On the one I made, I doubled up on the diodes (two in each direction) to double the current handling capacity.

To make it look slightly more like a schematic:

Line input -------------------> Line output

Neutral Input ----------------> Neutral output

Ground input ---> Diodes -----> Ground output

That's it.

I built mine into a big yellow replacement plug (it was like $7 @ Lowe's)

• Members

All you need to do is wire up a power cord with a pair of antiparallel (like parallel resistors, but the diodes face in opposite directions) diodes in series with the ground lug.

On the one I made, I doubled up on the diodes (two in each direction) to double the current handling capacity.

That's it.

:thu: dude that's pretty easy, thanks a lot!!!

• Members

Voodoo Lab ISO5 is basically a cheaper pedal power 2+ with less options. You should get the quality without paying for the extra features you don't need!

Oh yeah, I hadn't heard about it before but that's actually reasonably priced. I am going to try Sixto idea first and if it doesn't solve my problem I will get that. :thu:

• Members

That's it.

So...to my lil brain. Buy a couple of antiparallel diodes. Buy big replacement power plug. Hook the diodes up in line with the ground plug. Profit? Hmmm...i might be able to do that even. Would that keep my cheap 1 spot from adding crap tons of noise? Or...is that gonna happen anyway?

• Members

Would that keep my cheap 1 spot from adding crap tons of noise? Or...is that gonna happen anyway?

Nope - a 1-spot doesn't have a ground conductor, so it can't cause a ground loop.

A HumX will only work if the noise is being caused by a ground loop, which can only happen if you have more than one ground path (for example, two amps using 3-prong plugs).

Actually, Billy - I re-read your post, and it looks like you're using a 1-spot as well.

I think that the problem may require a more drastic solution.

• Members

---(000---/

It's pretty much the simplest thing that you could possibly put together.

It's just knowing how to do it right that's a bit tricky.

Nope - a 1-spot doesn't have a ground conductor, so it can't cause a ground loop.

A HumX will only work if the noise is being caused by a ground loop, which can only happen if you have more than one ground path (for example, two amps using 3-prong plugs).

Actually, Billy - I re-read your post, and it looks like you're using a 1-spot as well.

I think that the problem may require a more drastic solution.

*the more you know*

Thanks for the info Sixto.

What if the 1 spot was plugged into a power supply that had a ground prong that was plugged into the DYI humX? Or are 1 spots just noisey as hell and that's what you get for a power supply that powers that many pedals for $20? :lol:

• Members

The problem with a 1Spot is that it's not isolated - you're sending the same power to all of your pedals, and the power and signal share a ground, which means that your pedals' power will share a ground with each other, your guitar, your amp, and the 1spot.

So really, the ground loop is happening before a HumX would ever have a chance to correct it.

By the time you would plug the 1spot into it, the ground loop has already occured.

It would be like trying to fix an out-of-tune guitar by pitch-shifting the speaker.

• Members

The problem with a 1Spot is that it's not isolated - you're sending the same power to all of your pedals, and the power and signal share a ground, which means that your pedals' power will share a ground with each other, your guitar, your amp, and the 1spot.

So really, the ground loop is happening before a HumX would ever have a chance to correct it.

By the time you would plug the 1spot into it, the ground loop has already occured.

It would be like trying to fix an out-of-tune guitar by pitch-shifting the speaker.

:lol:

Ok, that makes sense to me. Damn. Though it makes a bit more sense why good multi-pedal power supplies cost so damn much. :lol:

• Members

Ok, that makes sense to me. Damn. Though it makes a bit more sense why good multi-pedal power supplies cost so damn much.

True story. To get truly isolated power for multiple pedals, you've got to have individual power transformers and regulators for each, and even small PTs will cost you $5 each. Now factor in labor cost, overhead, and retail markup, and it's easy to see how a, 8-pedal supply can set you back $150.

• Members

True story. To get truly isolated power for multiple pedals, you've got to have individual power transformers and regulators for each, and even small PTs will cost you $5 each. Now factor in labor cost, overhead, and retail markup, and it's easy to see how a, 8-pedal supply can set you back $150.

Seems a lot more reasonable now. Thanks Sixto for taking away my blissfully ignorant ability to bitch about pedal power supplies! :mad:

Seriously though, this was a highly informative thread. Thanks! :thu:

• Members

:( I got all happy and {censored} for a minute...

I guess I wil have to go with the PP ISO 5...grrr the {censored}ing thing still costs more than any pedal I use :mad:

• Members

How are Cioks priced in the US?

They're cheaper than Voodoo Labs in Norway, at least, and some of the models are isolated.

I've been thinking about this, because it has a 15V output. And I have a Tonebone pedal.

DC10_top_2.jpg

• Members

Cioks is a little pricey here, but I have one since it's the only suppy that will power two eventide factor pedals at once and it's fantastic. By far the lowest noise of any supply I've used, powers my Pitchfactor, Space, El Capistan and a few little pedals flawlessly.

My only complaint is that it runs HOT. I actually ended up buying some copper heatsinks for video cards and stuck them on it, it helped a lot.

• Members

I have a the pedal power 2+, I was reluctant too but I love it. Pedals may come and go but your power is one thing that will stick around. It aint cheap but I really appreciate the quality. Not to try and sway you or anything but by the time you're done buying power supplies, how much will you have saved vs. 150 for the PP2?

Archived