Effects guys - Multi-Effects...which one????

Bob Vila

• Members

The Line 6 stuff is fine, the issue is really 4CM with Line 6 or most other gear at that price range. The A/D/A converters are just not transparent enough to be used in that type of application IMHO and the whole tone ends up sounding too processed.

But if you're just using them through the loop (passing through the A/D/A only once) and you set the levels at unit gain, it is fine. I have a {censored}load of experience with Line 6 gear, probably more than anyone else here (I worked for them for 4 years) and I was always able to use their stuff as a clean effects processor. But 4CM just does not work as well.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Line 6 stuff is fine, the issue is really 4CM with Line 6 or most other gear at that price range. The A/D/A converters are just not transparent enough to be used in that type of application IMHO and the whole tone ends up sounding too processed.

But if you're just using them through the loop (passing through the A/D/A only once) and you set the levels at unit gain, it is fine. I have a {censored}load of experience with Line 6 gear, probably more than anyone else here (I worked for them for 4 years) and I was always able to use their stuff as a clean effects processor. But 4CM just does not work as well.

Billy, do you have an tips on the HD500? I'm trying to use it strictly for effects thru the loop as you mentioned. I just want a simple warm delay (pink floyd like) and airy chorus. In the user setting I have Vol Pedal (no FS assignment), Chorus (FS1), Digital Delay (FS2) and a softer delay that I can't remember (FS4).

I'm using guitar in - 1/4" mono out set to LINE.

My Blackstar has a line level or pedal button for the effects loop..should I use pedal?

• Members

Dang Billy, you are a "spring" of knowledge.

So with what you said, would you:

a) pick up a used pod HD 500 for 300ish
b) pick up a used GMajor w/ midi footswitch for 400ish
c) pick up a used g-force w FCB1010 for 600ish

inquiring minds would like to know :lol:

• Members

This has been my experience as well.

• Members

Billy, do you have an tips on the HD500? I'm trying to use it strictly for effects thru the loop as you mentioned. I just want a simple warm delay (pink floyd like) and airy chorus. In the user setting I have Vol Pedal (no FS assignment), Chorus (FS1), Digital Delay (FS2) and a softer delay that I can't remember (FS4).

I'm using guitar in - 1/4" mono out set to LINE.

My Blackstar has a line level or pedal button for the effects loop..should I use pedal?

I have to get the manual to give you specifics but basically what you need to do is:

1- create a "template" patch with all the effects OFF. You will use this patch to set the internal levels on the HD (master volume, line/inst etc) to ensure there is no difference in volume when you have the HD through the loop. To do this, start with the HD master volume at zero and gradually increase the volume. Start taking the cables in/out of your loop and listen for any volume differences with the HD through the loop and the amp by itself.

2- once you cannot hear any volume/tone differences, save that template patch without any effects.

3- copy the template patch to the banks where you do want to use effects and start to add effects to taste to each copy of it. If you want, say one patch with chorus and reverb, one with delay/verb and one with tremolo, you will copy your blank patch to 3 different locations and then edit each one of them with the effects desired. Keep your blank patch saved for whenever you need to create new sounds.

• Members

Dang Billy, you are a "spring" of knowledge.

So with what you said, would you:

a) pick up a used pod HD 500 for 300ish

b) pick up a used GMajor w/ midi footswitch for 400ish

c) pick up a used g-force w FCB1010 for 600ish

inquiring minds would like to know
:lol:

I'd go with the G-Major. The A/D/A converters are better and the advantage of being able to control your amps channels with it is HUGE in my book.

• Members

Why are you saying the problem is with the ADA converters? That technology is simple, cheap and has been around for a long time. I would think the actual processing algorithms are much more complex, and if sound is to be affected, it would be there, rather than in the format conversion.

FWIW, I think most of the effects in the M-13 sound really good. The ones that miss, which is primarily the rotary stuff, fails because of the way they're programmed, not because of any conversion between analog and digital. I'm also curious why the 4CM would have any effect on A/D conversion as opposed to putting everything up front.

• Members

ok...this was something that I have been asking myself. What can the X3 do that the HD500 is not yet capable of? From what I have read, it almost seems like the X3 may be a better bet for effects than the HD 500. Thoughts???

Mainly the ability to sing, play bass, and play guitar through it.

As far as ADA converters... I say eh.... if the tone is mostly the same with slight changes, I am OK with that. Change doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't destroy the tone, which I haven't had a problem with. The gain in control/sounds is worth a slight change.

As far as the TC stuff, if you ONLY want chorus and delay in the loop, it would work. The power of the Line 6 is MANY more effects and unlimited potential. The TC stuff is much more limited.

• Members

Nova System; the dual delay feature alone is worth it.

I run mine in front, but as an FYI, the best method to run it is with midi patch switching and an expression pedal. This way you can still change patches with the flip of a switch, turn on and off individual effects on each patch, and use the pedal to control volume, effect mix, or pitch. I use a tech 21 midi-mouse.

• Members

Mainly the ability to sing, play bass, and play guitar through it.

As far as ADA converters... I say eh.... if the tone is mostly the same with slight changes, I am OK with that. Change doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't destroy the tone, which I haven't had a problem with. The gain in control/sounds is worth a slight change.

As far as the TC stuff, if you ONLY want chorus and delay in the loop, it would work. The power of the Line 6 is MANY more effects and unlimited potential. The TC stuff is much more limited.

Interesting. I have been talking with a seller on a TC G-Force with a FCB 1010 midi board and am considering purchasing it. It seems like the G-Force is an even better option than the G-Major 2? Anyone care to comment?

I really wanna beleive that the quality of the TC effects will be a lot better than the L6 stuff on the HD 500. Does anyone have experience specifically with both the G-Force and the HD 500 and can comment on which would be better for effects only?

• Members

I really wanna beleive that the quality of the TC effects will be a lot better than the L6 stuff on the HD 500. Does anyone have experience specifically with both the G-Force and the HD 500 and can comment on which would be better for effects only?

Yes, the quality of the effects on the TC will be better. They will be cleaner, and more studio like. I think I said that at the start of this thread. But, the HD500 has more variety. You cant use OD pedals, wah, whammy, filters, synths, etc... on a TC. So, the basic effects aren't as clean, but you get more variety.

So, the real question is: do you want options, or cleaner restrictions?

• Members

I'll throw in the G System. Sure it's expensive, but it's much worth getting the hassle of the G Major and a separate controller. You can have everything onthe floor, or rackmount the brain (plus the 4 dirt pedals of your choosing) and have the controller in front of you.

Even if you get these used, these are rugged bastards. Highly recommended.

• Members

I'll throw in the G System. Sure it's expensive, but it's much worth getting the hassle of the G Major and a separate controller. You can have everything onthe floor, or rackmount the brain (plus the 4 dirt pedals of your choosing) and have the controller in front of you.

Even if you get these used, these are rugged bastards. Highly recommended.

I have made a decision and purchases have been made. Big shout out to everyone who provided their insight. Incoming N???D sometime next week. :thu:

• Members

interesting that theres no mention of

rocktron xpression

boss vfx-1

lexicon mpx1

I have a Lexicon MPX 1 and, while it's not the most user-friendly unit.... it sure has beautiful reverbs. Other effects are great. It has 'em all.

I also have a Lexicon MPX 550 which is much more user friendly and has outstanding sounding effects..... but the patch switching delay makes it un-useable for live performance. Too bad because the reverbs actually sound superior to the ones in the TC G-Major II.

However, I still enjoy the G-Major II and I use it live often.

Archived