Got my Orange back from the tech :rawk:

strtdv

• Members

My old Orange Reverb Twin was humming quite a lot, and the sound was lacking in places (overly flabby bass, some nasty extra preamp distortion on channel 2), and had a few things I already wanted sorted out, so over christmas I treated it to a full service at a local amp tech.

He gave the whole amp the once over, cleaned the inputs/pots etc, replaced all the 35 year old electrolytics, took out a couple of crude mods that had been done previously, power tubes replaced/biased, and generally gave the amp a good tune up.

Got it back today. What can I say? It sounds like a whole new amp.

It still has the massive bass response you expect from an old Orange, but it's tightened it up a bit, no more flab. The hum is MUCH better now, this is a properly quiet running amp now. And it sounds much better at lower volumes too. It always sounded great at full tilt, but now you get that great sound at much more sensible volumes as well.

All in all I'm very happy, and hopefully another 35 years of playing will be got out of it.

It wasn't cheap, but well worth it.

• Members

its nice to read an amp tech story that doesn't involve robbery or fraud for once
:lol:

Yeah the tech was a really cool guy. Canadian originally. He was very up front and said there was probably more he could do to get rid of even more hum but it would be very labour intensive and cost a lot, but he'd done everything he could up to that.

• Members

I'm extremely curious as to what this sounds like
:confused:
Any pics?

In many ways it's like a Twin with EL34's, although you get a great roar off it when you crank it whereas a Twin just basically gets louder and louder with not much breakup. It has the typical Orange huge bass response.

Here's a few pics:

a.provider,m.62232,mod.media,th.normal,s

3889720767_edb0a05bbe.jpg

3889724443_51ec6bf365.jpg

orange1001537i.jpg

(yeah, the knobs are pretty ugly)

It weighs about 90-100lbs

Archived