Laney IRT60-212 on the way!!!

mr. moon

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So, how high gain is the 'rhythm' channel? What does the boost do, add mud, or is it tweaked to be more like adding a ts9? Does the wattage control really feel like the amp is being pushed, or is it more like a second master volume?

Might buy one of these, and sell my 3120.. :lol:

• Members

The chassis, transformers and key components are out sourced to china, they are still assembled and checked in the UK.

I think you have that backwards: The components are UK and the amps are assembled in China. On the back of the amp it says "Made in China"

• Members

How easy can you get a Running Wild or Iron Savior-esque tone. Can it do other types of hard rock and metal? How's the clean on it?

"Running Wild?" ...Is that the metal bands from the 80's I'm thinking about, or another band? Anyways, the amp will cover the classic 80's metal tones including the "chuckas" of Anthrax, and will cover the heavy AIC tones too. The clean channel is fuller than my DSL100 ...which I know is not saying that much (I'm joking), but it is what it is and has served me well onstage for years.

I have been able to dial in any tone I want on the thing, and it retains the character even into ear-splitting volume levels. It's all very easily controlled via the included footswitch as well!

• Members

I think you have that backwards: The components are UK and the amps are assembled in China. On the back of the amp it says "Made in China"

Like i said the majority of it is made in china, the chassis, tubes, speakers etc are not dropped into the cab until they hit the UK.

• Members

So, how high gain is the 'rhythm' channel? What does the boost do, add mud, or is it tweaked to be more like adding a ts9? Does the wattage control really feel like the amp is being pushed, or is it more like a second master volume?

Might buy one of these, and sell my 3120..
:lol:

Unlike most multichannel amps like this (including my DSL100), the rhythm channel on this amp is off the hook! I started out on the lead channel and found a high-gain tone that I loved and was surprised that I was actually able to reproduce it 100% on the rhythm channel too.

Best thing about this amp that I've found so far is that the tone actually gets better the louder you push it.

• Members

How are the speakers?

I'm considering ordering an Ironheart 2x12" in the next couple of days.

Speakers are good in the combo, but I've been doing most of my testing using a Avatar Contemporary loaded with a Celstion V30 and a gt100. I'll monkey with the amp a bit more over the weekend and test them out a bit more.

• Members

I've a/b'ed the IRT412, Lionheart 4x12 (h30's) and GS412 pro (v30's)

I'm not a huge v30 fan, so that cab would be my last choice, but the IRT was a huge surprise for a budget cab, great definition and lots of low end. The Lionheart 412 is a real banger though, one of the nicest 4x12's i've ever played through.

The IRT 2x12's are great compact cabs, they dont sound as big as a mesa or orange but then they arent anywhere near the size or cost!

• Members

Is there a noticeable difference between the Celestions and the internal speakers?

My Avatar is closed back with heavy plywood and a good amount of internal volume, so the "chugs" resonate more, the bass is more pronounced. The combo speakers are good, but I haven't had a chance to crank them yet as I use the Avatar to test all the heads I am trying out for consistency. I will try the combo speakers more later this weekend ...if time allows (2 young kids make it tough to get too loud).

• Members

Like i said the majority of it is made in china, the chassis, tubes, speakers etc are not dropped into the cab until they hit the UK.

From what I have read, the major/larger electronic components are made in the UK (like the Laney Toroidal transformers), shipped to China, and then the amps are assembled there in China. I have no idea what happens to them after that... However, I do know that the bottom line for me is that the final product kicks ass, and Laney stands behind it. Funny, it even has the "Laney smell" to it that my old AOR50 head did back in the 80's. Much different than the "odeur de Marshall" that my DSL100 used to sport.

Peace!

• Members

Yep! Unda Jolly Roga
:rawk:

That recalls the days of Grim Reaper, Manowar, Saxon, Maiden, The Rods, Wild Dogs, and all those other heavy bands that were out back in HS ...Saxon was more hard rock to me, but they got dumped under metal with the rest of them. Fun times ...most of which I cannot remember at all.

• Members

Originally Posted by Toshiro: Does the wattage control really feel like the amp is being pushed, or is it more like a second master volume?

Yes, I want to know also.

Yes, it does, however, speakers sound different when they are being pushed hard, so it's not quite so simple as that. But yes, it retains more of the overall sound (like an amp being pushed) rather than just adding gain/fuzz ...if you know what I'm saying.

It's too bad they don't have more dealerships here in the states so people can try these out, as it's really hard to put into words what the sound is like... I purchased this amp on prior experience with the Laney sound (old 80's AOR50 50-watt head), so I have a reference point for the sound of the Laney amps, which is a bit different from Marshall & Mesa.

• Members

That recalls the days of Grim Reaper, Manowar, Saxon, Maiden, The Rods, Wild Dogs, and all those other heavy bands that were out back in HS ...Saxon was more hard rock to me, but they got dumped under metal with the rest of them. Fun times ...most of which I cannot remember at all.

Love 'em all dude. Manowar is my all-time favorite band. I wish I could have lived through the 80s.

• Members

It does kill me that I cannot hear one in person. I hate buying and returning.

I hear you. I only moved on it so quickly because it was on sale (at Prymaxe Vintage) and I loved my AOR50 before I sold it to fund a new guitar back in the day (...a long story ...really long and stupid story, actually). Also, the review from my OP really affected my decision too. Pushed me over the cliff, as it were....

• Members

Unlike most multichannel amps like this (including my DSL100), the rhythm channel on this amp is off the hook! I started out on the lead channel and found a high-gain tone that I loved and was surprised that I was actually able to reproduce it 100% on the rhythm channel too.

Best thing about this amp that I've found so far is that the tone actually gets better the louder you push it.

Cool, thanks for the info! GAS is brewing... :lol:

Archived