Laney IRT60-212 on the way!!!

mr. moon

• Members

Ok, so I've been looking for a 3-channel complement amp to my FJA-modded Marshall DSL100; something a bit more "brutish" for lack of a better word, which I can use for gigging smaller venues, cover clean channel all the way to heavy stuff, and use for recording. My DSL has been modded to include a foot-switchable 0-20 dB boost to both channels, which is handy for soloing and such, so I need something that does about the same for smaller gigs. The Marshall can get pretty damn heavy, but I've always thought it would be great to have something really heavy for live use and for just monkeying around, recording, and such...

I checked out one of the Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combos locally, which sounded awesome, but the clean/crunch channel was a bit limited for live use, so I was on the fence about it.

So.... Last night I was reading a Laney thread posted here and it got me thinking. I used to have a Laney AOR-50 halfstack back in the day, and really dug the tone of it. So after snooping around I found exactly what should work for me: The Laney IRT60 2x12 combo - 60-watt 3 channel amp that specs out pretty well and should be exactly what I'm looking for!

After reading the following review:

http://www.grumpyrocker.co.uk/laney-ironheart-irt60h-review,

I purchased it from here:

http://www.prymaxevintage.com/laney-amplification-ironheart-irt60-212-2x12-combo-amp/

I was able to get an additional 15% off from the listed price, so it ends up being very competitively priced. Worse comes to worse, I'll send it back and get the 6505+ ...but I'm thinking (& hoping) this one will fit the bill perfectly and *not* break the bank!

:thu:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Congrats, these are getting a lot of talk right now. I really liked the one I played, one of the best amps I've come across that can do the fender cleans, Marshall crunch and hi-gain brootz in one package. Don't forget to mess around with that watts knob, I was able to get a good amount of poweramp saturation at a lower volume and it sounded great. Too bad everybody will say it sucks in 3 months :o

• Members

Went to their site. Great price but apparently you got the last one.
:mad:

Yeah, I saw that they link through Amazon, which showed one left when I went to bed last night (this AM). I told myself that if it was still available when I woke up this AM, I was meant to buy it.

:D

• Members

Congrats, these are getting a lot of talk right now. I really liked the one I played, one of the best amps I've come across that can do the fender cleans, Marshall crunch and hi-gain brootz in one package. Don't forget to mess around with that watts knob, I was able to get a good amount of poweramp saturation at a lower volume and it sounded great. Too bad everybody will say it sucks in 3 months
:o

Yeah, I don't care what the crowd says, I just care how it sounds and how well it will hold up. Supposedly comprised of UK-made components assembled in China, so the purists are already complaining loudly (at Rig Talk especially)...

• Members

I'm so jealous!!

I assume it was my thread that pushed you to buy it, so that's great! When you get it you should do a little tone test for me.

Yup, that's the thread that got Laney on my mind and got me thinking (scheming) on how heavy I remembered my AOR being and how rugged that thing was. A few Google searches later, I lined up the amp and discount and waited until this AM to pull the trigger.

...Thanks, by the way!

;)

• Members

Yup, that's the thread that got Laney on my mind and got me thinking (scheming) on how heavy I remembered my AOR being and how rugged that thing was. A few Google searches later, I lined up the amp and discount and waited until this AM to pull the trigger.

...Thanks, by the way!

;)

No problemo. Laney should hit me with a sponsorship or something!

• Members

Congratulations!

The boost is pre gain so I don't know about soloing, it will certainly tighten the sound, make it thicker and provide more distortion but I wouldn't use it for a volume boost live.

My gripe with the ironheart series is the way it footswitches, it doesn't have separate clean/crunch/lead switches but the combination of two gives you the crunch channel which in turn shares its tonestack with the clean channel etc.

Write a review when you get it! Is it open or closed back?

• Members

Congratulations!

The boost is pre gain so I don't know about soloing, it will certainly tighten the sound, make it thicker and provide more distortion but I wouldn't use it for a volume boost live.

My gripe with the ironheart series is the way it footswitches, it doesn't have separate clean/crunch/lead switches but the combination of two gives you the crunch channel which in turn shares its tonestack with the clean channel etc.

Write a review when you get it! Is it open or closed back?

Its pretty much the same as the VC/VH, thats never caused me any sort of problem!

• Members

Know what? I just did some looking, and I think this is going to be my next amp. I'm actually thinking about selling something just to get this.

Reading the following review clinched it for me:

http://www.grumpyrocker.co.uk/laney-ironheart-irt60h-review

The three independent channels (the clean & rhythm channels share EQ, but have independent level controls) allow for the control I need, and the pre-boost is footswitch controlled, so when I'm playing the clean channel, I can dump it. This is what I have been looking for and is really lacking in all the other 2x12 combo packages I found in my price range. The 6505+ had great tone and came close, but you could not control the levels of the clean & crunch channels independently, like you can with this Laney via a footswitch & front panel controls; I need this level of control. I can send you a list that one of the supervisors at MF sent me with their combo amp options, but suffice it to say that the 6505+ was the closest all-tube option that was available. Oh, and being able to switch between 6L6 and EL34 tubes by merely flicking a switch after replacing the tubes is awesome too!

BTW: Prymaxe was the least expensive place I could find for the amp here in the states, so maybe contact them and see if they'd extend the "yule15" 15% discount since there's no amp available now? Never hurts to ask, right?

;)

• Members

The bias switch is more or less a fixed bias two position switch isn't it. Still good to have it but you can't really bias any tube correctly. I wonder how can you choose tubes to be in the range laney chose.

All in all an interesting amp but has yet to pop up in any of the dealers close to me.

I understand what you are saying about the peavey. I wish laney had implemented the peavey's separate pressence/ressonance per channel control that would be kick ass.

By the way if you are talking about the chinese 6505+ it has a particle board/ply baffle cab. The laney is all plywood, much better built as a result.

• Members

Yup. I think all the 6505+ 1x12's are manufactured in China, correct? I've been more of a Marshall guy for the last 5-10 years or so (always kept my Tech21 Trademark 10 amp though!), so I'm not so up to date on the Peavey stuff anymore. I think the 2x12 6505 is made in the USA, but don't quote me on that....

I'm pretty sure I'll most likely never use the bias switch or swap out power tubes, but who knows? I'm happy to hear about the plywood.... MDF sucks! (especially when it gets wet!)

• Members

trademark 10 through a big guitar cab, still puts out sounds that people don't expect. And sounds really good and quiet through whisper levels. It has a toroidal transformer like the laney!

[video=youtube;k4h1YRmVH0E]

The 112's 6505+ are made in china, as is the ironheart, the 2x12 are made in the USA, all plywood. They weigh a {censored}ing ton though...

• Members

trademark 10 through a big guitar cab, still puts out sounds that people don't expect. And sounds really good and quiet through whisper levels. It has a toroidal transformer like the laney!

I honestly wouldn't be looking for another amp if the Trademark 10 had a footswitch that allowed me to change between all the amps, drive levels, and cab options! I've used the Trademark 10 on many recordings and always use it as a baseline comparison for all new amps I am trying at home. Most recently, it put an Egnater Tweaker and Bogner Alchemist to shame! If an amp cannot sound as good or better than the Trademark 10, it goes back. I hope the Laney will do well against it!

• Members

I hope so too and I understand what you are saying. I really like its ability to almost put every guitar through the microscope. Some guitars sound good on the mesa mark mode some on the british mode and vice versa. On some rehearsals when I was bored to lug and amp around I used the clean british, gain crancked, eq to taste, a booster from the front and a zoom multieffect for delay and volume/eq for leads and played with the guitar knob for cleans. I went DI with the uk speaker sim and it worked pretty good! Almost made me though of a PSA 1.1 or tri ac for DI purposes. But from all tech 21 products I like the trademark series the most, especially the 10.

Hope the laney surpasses it even in low volume!

• Members

Reading the following review clinched it for me:

http://www.grumpyrocker.co.uk/laney-ironheart-irt60h-review

The three independent channels (the clean & rhythm channels share EQ, but have independent level controls) allow for the control I need, and the pre-boost is footswitch controlled, so when I'm playing the clean channel, I can dump it. This is what I have been looking for and is really lacking in all the other 2x12 combo packages I found in my price range. The 6505+ had great tone and came close, but you could not control the levels of the clean & crunch channels independently, like you can with this Laney via a footswitch & front panel controls; I need this level of control. I can send you a list that one of the supervisors at MF sent me with their combo amp options, but suffice it to say that the 6505+ was the closest all-tube option that was available. Oh, and being able to switch between 6L6 and EL34 tubes by merely flicking a switch after replacing the tubes is awesome too!

BTW: Prymaxe was the least expensive place I could find for the amp here in the states, so maybe contact them and see if they'd extend the "yule15" 15% discount since there's no amp available now? Never hurts to ask, right?

;)

Definitely a good idea, but I think I'm just gonna wait until one comes up used.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

It has arrived!!!

Actually, a few days ago ...but been too busy to be able to play with it until yesterday & today!!!

I am completely blown away ...speechless, actually. This amp easily competes with my FJA-modded Marshall DSL100 and complements it perfectly! I'll do a more complete review once I really get a chance to dig into it, but this amp has that "gestalt" to it that the Bogner Alchemist never ever got close to. Hard to explain, but the Laney retains string dynamics even when your pushing the hell out of it, it doesn't flatten out and get overly compressed & thin sounding like too many amps I've tried do at volume.

I'm completely satisfied with both the product itself and Prymaxe Vintage where I purchased it from!!

http://www.prymaxevintage.com/

Archived