Played an EVH 5150 III for the first time today

Rockett

• Members

Holy {censored} what an incredible sounding amp! It covers pretty much every territory of music you can play. It's amazing how the clean channel pushed can even replicate some old Fender combos and even some Vox territory if you get close to blasting the treble and presence.

I play in a hard rock band so I generally go for high gain amps. This amp delivers some punishing chugs and the note separation is incredible.

I want the 50 watt version but it seems after some extensive searching, these amps are not even available yet or have been release in a very limited batch. Does anybody own one? Even better, has anybody played both the regular version along with the mini version?

• Members

I posted a very similar thread to this one a while back. Really cool amps. Even though I pretty much have all my bases covered with my Axe Fx, I still wouldn't mind having a 5150III too.

Do you gig that thing? That seems like the last thing in the world i would ever expect a hardcore dude to play live with. I don't know if I would have the balls too.

• Members

Do you gig that thing? That seems like the last thing in the world i would ever expect a hardcore dude to play live with. I don't know if I would have the balls too.

You mean my Axe Fx? Yeah, I've played it at every show I've had since I got it. I love the thing. Awesome live tones and I can send it direct to the PA so the sound guys won't {censored} up my tone with a badly placed mic. I thought all the metal dudes were using Axe Fx now??

• Members

You mean my Axe Fx? Yeah, I've played it at every show I've had since I got it. I love the thing. Awesome live tones and I can send it direct to the PA so the sound guys won't {censored} up my tone with a badly placed mic. I thought all the metal dudes were using Axe Fx now??

Oh, I'm used to hardcore shows with only a barely working PA for vocals. I don't know, by your music and "stance" in your pictures you posted that Sheik was giving you {censored} about I figured you were more of Hardcore dude not a Metal dude.

• Members

Oh, I'm used to hardcore shows with only a barely working PA for vocals. I don't know, by your music and "stance" in your pictures you posted that Sheik was giving you {censored} about I figured you were more of Hardcore dude not a Metal dude.

Uh oh, let's not bring that up again haha. You know, I've always considered my self a metal guy, but I guess with the way metalcore bands have taken over mixing hardcore and traditional metal sounds it's pretty much all a big hybrid now. I pretty much just consider most heavy music to be "metal" now.

• Members

I've been debating between the 5150 III, YCS50, Engl FB100, JVM 410H and Roadster. I just read the 5150 III warranty. WoOzz or anyone else in Florida know an authorized service center that also sells the amp? If I do have a problem, seems like that would be the way to go, rather than sending it to California or Arizona for who knows how long.

• Members

How do they differ in sound from the original 5150's?

Night and day different man. The Peaveys have a very sharp , aggressive sound no matter how you dial them. Lots of high end fizz . The new ones dont have that. They also have a very usable mid gain sound that the Peaveys didnt .

• Members

How do they differ in sound from the original 5150's?

Nice clean channel, good crunch mid gain channel and channel 3 is smoother, thicker, more compressed and more refined in comparison to the original 5150's. Both are great. The 5150's probably cut a bit more in a mix but the 5153's are just awesome too. I really love mine!

• Members

Night and day different man. The Peaveys have a very sharp , aggressive sound no matter how you dial them. Lots of high end fizz . The new ones dont have that. They also have a very usable mid gain sound that the Peaveys didnt .

I played a 5150 in an R&B band for years. Use the low gain I/P and don't crank the channel gain and you can get all kinds of low to mid gain tones.

• Members

I love the 5153, {censored}s awesome. I hate the baffle "evh" cosmetics though, but thats just preference.

Uh oh, let's not bring that up again haha. You know, I've always considered my self a metal guy, but I guess with the way metalcore bands have taken over mixing hardcore and traditional metal sounds it's pretty much all a big hybrid now. I pretty much just consider most heavy music to be "metal" now.

Uhhhh.... wat

• Members

Yep, pretty much my experience.. But I get the feeling for recordings the smoother tone of the 5153 would lack that aggressive bite of the original. For me anyway.. But just playing with the 5153 it's an awesome amp and great tones all around.

• Members

Had 2 of them, bought brand new about 3 months go. Both had issues. Read the threads over at RT. Lots of bugs still in these amps. They sound good when they work right.

Thanks for the heads up (no pun intended :lol:) Probably the reason why these heads have been released in limited quantities thus far. I guess I'll just grab the 100w version in the meantime.

Archived