A cap on the volume pot......if you're not doing this, you should be.....

aldridt1

• Members

this is one thing i've been wanting to try lately but I don't wanna end up with to much treble and having to change them out to find the right one. I"m not sure i have that kind of patience.
:lol:

its on my list of things to do.

Just experiment using alligator clips until you find the value you like - then solder into place...

• Members

Any ceramic disc cap is fine.

One of the worst caps to use. Silver Mica is way better. Also, some of the values suggested are way to large. The amount of hi-freq roll-off depends on the amps design, but much smaller values (around 100pf) than suggested is the best place to start.

A better place to tackle this is in the amp's front end.

• Members

the 330's that I use are definitely bright. It would be too bright on its own, but with a band it cuts thru well.

I will have to try some lower values. I just looked at what was used on an old Ibanez I had that I thought worked well, and bought a ton of them, all the same value.

• Members

EMGs shouldn't need it. The tone almost doesn't change when you turn them down.

Yup, EMGs use those 25k pots. It's the increase in resistance that causes the treble loss, this is why 1meg ohm pots get dark much faster, they are traveling from a 1000k impedance down to 0 in the same window that a 250/500k pot is so the resistance increases much faster. A 25/50k pot going from 10 to 0 had a nearly negligible increase in resistance across its throw meaning an imperceptible loss in treble. Your likely to find a 25-50k difference in any given CTS 500k pot (I've measured some as high as 530k and as low as 410k :freak:)

• Members

Yup, EMGs use those 25k pots. It's the increase in resistance that causes the treble loss, this is why 1meg ohm pots get dark much faster, they are traveling from a 1000k impedance down to 0 in the same window that a 250/500k pot is so the resistance increases much faster. A 25/50k pot going from 10 to 0 had a nearly negligible increase in resistance across its throw meaning an imperceptible loss in treble. Your likely to find a 25-50k difference in any given CTS 500k pot (I've measured some as high as 530k and as low as 410k
:freak:
)

That's a factor but it's mostly because an EMG has a much lower impedance than a passive pick up.

It has enough current content in the signal to charge the amps input capacitance and thus have no toan suckage.

• Members

That's a factor but it's mostly because an EMG has a much lower impedance than a passive pick up.

It has enough current content in the signal to charge the amps input capacitance and thus have no toan suckage.

True, long runs of cable and effects have little to no effect on the tone, David Gilmour has said that this was why the red Strat came about.

Archived