What Up W/Boosting A Mark IV You Mesa Afficiandos??? Help Needed!!

buddhapaugh

• Members

Is there something I should know about the input sensitivity of a Mark IV. I have never experienced a tube amp that is so picky when it comes to boosting it with an OD.

MY Mark III was not as picky. My Trem-O-Verb LOVES to be boosted. Not this Mark IV.:confused:

I have tried an OCD, an Ice 9, a Maxon 808, a Green Rhino, a T-Rex Michael Batio OD (which is the winner so far), a Lovepedal amp50 and amp11.... and none of them sound GREAT!

Is it possible they are driving the input too much?? Are there are any secrets I am not aware of. Every other amp I have owned as loved to be boosted. Just seems like the Mark IV gets grainy and flubby----and certainly not tighter with a boost.

Any ideas, experiences, comments??:thu:

• Members

I've never boosted my Mark IV. That amp has so much gain it's unreal, i would be very careful about the pull bright, fat switch, and mid gain if I were you. In fact I would make sure all three of those are disengaged or it might spin out.

You been reading the manual!!:thu:

• Members

I never liked boosting marks, the tonestack does a great job of cutting bass etc it is before distortion! I'd boost if I needed more gain to be honest...but how much more?

Not really looking for more gain----just those times when I want the amp to sing a little more. My default assumption has been that every amp likes a little kick in the teeth now and then.

The Mark III I had was way more gainy than the Mark IV. Maybe time to check the preamp tubes out.

• Members

Not really looking for more gain----just those times when I want the amp to sing a little more. My default assumption has been that every amp likes a little kick in the teeth now and then.

The Mark III I had was way more gainy than the Mark IV. Maybe time to check the preamp tubes out.

Nah, my Mark III has more gain than my Mark IV too. I would say if you want to boost it for the tone, do it, just watch out how you dial it in or you'll end up with a squealing mushy mess because of how much gain it already has.

However, you might only need to adjust input gain to account for the boost on second thought.

• Members

I never liked boosting marks, the tonestack does a great job of cutting bass etc it is before distortion! I'd boost if I needed more gain to be honest...but how much more?

This, since it already has assloads of gain and a predistortin eq there is really no need to boost it. If you want it tight then just turn down the bass knob to 0 and the mid knob to less than half with the treble up.

• Members

I know I am acting like a noob here.... but why does my Dual Rec Trem-O-Verb... and most Recs.... like to be boosted and the Mark's are more temperamental?? Is it what was mentioned about the nature of the tone stack??

Recs have eq after distortion, marks (if they have a graphic) have the 3 band eq after the first gain stage (which is clean) and another at the end of the preamp.

Sit down with 2 eq pedals and a distortion pedal in between and you will see why they react differently.

Archived