I finally understand why all the big shots use Marshalls (Vid inside)

flyingrhoads

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I use a an old 1981 2203 w/ EL34's (modded with a switchable extra gain stage) and my other guitar player uses a KK2203. In stock mode, both amps are actually pretty similar. My '81 is slightly tighter and has a ton more low end. The KK is a bit more "Sparkly", but that may be due to the bright cap value. Also, mine is a {censored}-load louder (but i would consider my 81 to be too loud, so the KK is actually better volume wise IMO). Beast-Mode has a ton of gain on tap for sure. It tightens the amp up nicely. My '81 with the extra gain stage on definitely cuts a bit more (nothing a volume adjustment can't fix) and has a ton more low end, but they both compliment each other very nicely.

They have a very similar thing going on (You can feel they are based of the same model). Also, things to consider are mine has extra filter caps, older components and is running different power tubes. Also, mine is one of the tightest and ballsiest 2203's I had heard. I have to keep my bass on 1 or 2. The low end is ridiculous.

I'd buy the KK in a second as a backup. I wouldn't hesitate if I found a good one used.

• Members

It's just a shame that Marshall made it look like a classless, bald, tattoo fan.

Tribal graphics.....
:facepalm:

Everyone says they sound great though.

I'd like to try the ZW sig.

If I ever snag one I'll get a new face plate made for the front (they make them for about anything now.) and re-do the cloth that has the graphics on it. Black grille cloth is cheap. I like Kerry king, but dont want those graphics on my {censored}.

• Members

does the kk need to be cranked to get heavy, or can it deliver heavy tones at lower volumes??

Pretty much yeah it does, down low it sounds pretty bad and pretty buzzy. When you turn it up 11:00+ it starts turning into a completely different beast, it becomes a LOT ballsier and very authoritative, and the louder you turn it the clearer it becomes

• Members

I kind of avoided the 2203KK as I am not the biggest slayer fan (though I have seen them live a few times). But I thinking I need to check one out soon.

I need another marshall.

don'tet the KK fool you it does much more than the kerry tone

• Members

Thanks for the kind words guys! I've had a {censored} load of exams lately and honestly forgot about this thread and making a second video displaying the heavier side of this amp.

I'm charging my camera now as will record one soon :wave:

Also, for anyone wondering, I got my engl back from the tech and fired it up, and after about an hour of playing the volume suddenly dropped and I had a tube red-plating like a bitch, so it's back at the tech and my friend loaned me the Marshall again

• Members

Haha I've had more time dialing it in now and my opinion has changed; beast mode = raunchy gainy goodness

This Marshall tone has really been growing on me though, I'm highly considering some sort of modded 800 or even a splawn for my next amp.

The 800 does';t have tons of options but its a true workhorse and built like a tank.

I told jim to get a loop installed and a footswitchable beast mode.

• Members

The 800 does';t have tons of options but its a true workhorse and built like a tank.

I told jim to get a loop installed and a footswitchable beast mode.

If this had both of those options on here I'd be completely sold on getting one of these; the footswichable beast mode would be the most handy of the two (for me anyway)

Did your old splawns get in the same ballpark tone/feel-wise?

Archived