Can you,or should you,bias an amp to a specific guitar?

pogoshoes

• Members

I was wondering if any guitar could be used to give one the best results of how an amp will sound when biasing,or if it's best to use the main guitar that one plans to use with that amp?

Will it make that big of a difference,or is it more a broader characteristic of the amp's own sound (based upon what speakers and tubes are being used) that is being dialed in reguardless of the guitar?

• Members

Yeah, you can bias an amp for a specific guitar. Whether you should is of course a matter of choice.

These days I pretty much always tune the bias on my amps to a specific guitar; that includes the preamp valves... :lol:

I'm pretty sure not many people realise the dramatic effect bias has on the distortion characteristics, thus the tone and feel, of an amp.

I imagine amp makers don't add bias control pots for every stage is to avoid user error, for simplicity and tradition...

• Members

If biasing alters the way the tubes sound,that alters the way the speakers sound,which alters the way the guitar sounds through the amp,right?
Or does finding the sweet spot of biasing the tubes have only to do with the tubes alone and every guitar will benefit the same for better or worse?

I was just wondering if it was better for a tech to use my guitar,or like model,when my amp is in the shop getting biased or if it's fine that he just uses whatever guitar is handy? Wouldn't high or low output pickups effect the way the amp breaks up?

I'm hoping the answer is "no,it doesn't really make a difference what guitar is used".

• Members

If biasing alters the way the tubes sound,that alters the way the speakers sound,which alters the way the guitar sounds through the amp,right?

Or does finding the sweet spot of biasing the tubes have only to do with the tubes alone and every guitar will benefit the same for better or worse?

I was just wondering if it was better for a tech to use my guitar,or like model,when my amp is in the shop getting biased or if it's fine that he just uses whatever guitar is handy? Wouldn't high or low output pickups effect the way the amp breaks up?

I'm hoping the answer is "no,it doesn't really make a difference what guitar is used".

Post #3.

• Members

Additional info on biasing:

OP, you didn't say what amp you were having biased.

How significant effect the bias point has on the sound is relative to how much the valves are overdriving.

i.e. if you're using mainly preamp overdrive with a pretty clean power section then the effect of the power valve's bias point will be less than if you were using an amp that is using medium/heavy power section overdrive.

• Members

Yes, everything has an effect on your sound: guitar, pickups, valves, bias, speakers, etc...

If your tech's actually fine tuning the bias by ear with a guitar then that's a +1 for the tech.

If this issue bothers you then take the axe you want to use to the tech then have him adjust the bias, you play the guitar and you say when it sounds good.

Does not take account of the fact that the primary reason for biasing should be to make the amp sound at its best. Keeping the valves within safe operating range is a secondary concern.

What if you have more than one type of guitar? Or what happens if one day you decide to change pickups?

• Members
What if you have more than one type of guitar? Or what happens if one day you decide to change pickups?

Then the amp will have to be re-biased or you will suffer with sub-optimal tone... ;)

Otherwise, the point that has been dialled in to the chosen axe is quite likely to sound half-decent with the rest of one's axes too. :)

• Members

Wouldn't high or low output pickups effect the way the amp breaks up?

also yes - if you want your amp to respond differently to different guitars, then this would be an issue - for instance, if you wanted your clean sound with your Fenders Squiers, but all out distortion with your Gibsons Epiphones, then I could see why you may want the amp biased differently.

most people around these parts would just buy another amp though.

• Members

Yeah, you can bias an amp for a specific guitar. Whether you should is of course a matter of choice.

These days I pretty much always tune the bias on my amps to a specific guitar; that includes the preamp valves...
:lol:

I'm pretty sure not many people realise the dramatic effect bias has on the distortion characteristics, thus the tone and feel, of an amp.

I imagine amp makers don't add bias control pots for every stage is to avoid user error, for simplicity and tradition...

Oh that's good to know, I will start rebiasing my amp in between songs when I switch guitars.

enhanced-buzz-15854-1300424464-1.jpg

Archived