Weird Amp Problem

Deeprig9

• Members

Moved from the "Amp" forum...

I AB two amps. Yesterday at the recording studio, I had a problem we couldn't figure out. I don't know how to explain this succinctly, so here goes:

I was on the Y setting of the ABY pedal (both amps).

In my pedal chain was also a boss dd3 and a blues driver.

I had the delay set to a slapback kind of delay.

Out of Amp A, I was getting note + slapback

Out of Amp B, I was getting note + slapback + slapback.

In troubleshooting the problem, I uplugged cable from amp A, and in the process, the typical "bwazzzz" you get when you plug in/out of an amp, the "bwazz" came out of both amps, even though I was only unplugging Amp A.

WTF? This has never happened before, at least I've never noticed it before. What gives?

• Members

If you unplugged from the amp itself that amp shouldnt have buzzed. The input jack shorts the input when you unplug just like a volume control on a guitar does when you turn it down. If you unplugged from the AB box you had an open connector and and it would make the amp buzz that the other end is plugged into. If its something different than this I would check the way you have the things wired up. Draw a diagram and post it here.

• Members

The setup is simple and what I posted before was right. I'll go way out on a limb here cause I spotted something here I recently dealt with (If I'm wrong let me know)

My best guess is you might not be using Zero hum adaptors like Boss or Dan Electro. Boss pedals especially that blues pedal arent true bypass and they hum like a bitch in the off and on position sounding just like a bad cord.

I just worked with a guitarist who drove me nuts every time he pulled out a budget wall wart out of his bag the humming was back. I eventually gave him a good one and footballed his old one in the trash. Let me know if this helps.

Archived