any of you gigging guys try shure beta 87s/86s/ or other condensers for live work?

newholland

• Members

Just wondering- I occasionally run sound for a rock band with three gals singing, and i'm wondering if something like a beta 87 or a cad c195 might work well for beefing out their voices. 58's tend to get a little sibilant/boomy. i know their mic technique isn't the best-- but having a more sensitive mic might buy me a little more wiggle room with keeping proximity effect in check. i've heard some REALLY nasally gal singers with them, and they sound pretty good.

just needing a reality check.

• Members

Try the AKG D5 series. Dynamic but not as meh as 58's or Senn.

Neuman also makes a good handheld condenser.

yeah-- i would love to try neumanns buuuut.... these guys got serious beer budgets. I was thinking the cad c195s 'cause they're inexpensive and kinda flat, versus the big presence bump. figured it might make quick work of the lispy sounds they struggle with and get them off the mic a bit.

honestly, never used condensers for live ball mic sitches-- only used large diaphragms and small diaphragms for arrays or close acoustic micing.

• Members

If you think an SM58 is sibilant and boomy, a condenser is definitely not for you. I'd suggest that there are problems other than the microphones themselves.

Their application is fairly limited and can be troublesome in a lot of situations, namely loud stages.

• Members

I've been using Beta 87's for about 12 years.

I owned and managed a Pro Audio Hire business (Pre Divorce) for about 7 years.

Beta 87's are an excellent live vocal mic for any vocalist, male or female, and have pretty much been the industry standard for about 15 years.

However the Neumann KMS 105 is THE best vocal mic... No question. :thu:

The Beta 87 is a distant no.2...

• Members

If you think an SM58 is sibilant and boomy, a condenser is definitely not for you. I'd suggest that there are problems other than the microphones themselves.

Their application is fairly limited and can be troublesome in a lot of situations, namely loud stages.

naw-- it's not the mic-- its' their mic technique. not to say somebody with bad mic technique is fixable with a mic- to a large extent, i know its a practice thing. but having a more sensitive mic could make them more consistent when moving-- which is the primary problem. i've recorded these guys-- and they actually did WAY better in front of LDCs because the pattern made life easier to get them consistently on mic. you know how proximity works-- so sometimes-- they back way off, and the sound goes WAY reedy-- then others, they're eating it. if they could stay relatively static.. life would be easier on the eq side- but that's not how it works. :D they're NOT super loud-- which is nice- but the two main vocalists are actually really good singers and i always feel i could do them better service with something that filled out a bit more evenly (and with less mega proximity effect) than a 58 as well.

i don't think if they plan to play live they should think much about NOT learning to work 58's... talk about futility! but if choosing-- i wonder if some of the benefits outweigh the negatives for their own practice space or local shows with their own PA.

Archived