Give me some tube-amp advice, please

bluesfella

• Members

I also saw they have the Bugera 6260 and Bugera 333 combo's. They seem cheap and look pretty cool. Are they any good?

I hear good things about the Bugeras but they are not fashionable.

They seem to be like your basic plain, generic Sears & Robucks workwear denim while the cognescinti are all wearing Levi's or Gucci. Haven't played one so i don't know how they sound but I'm pretty sure the kids will point and laugh at me if I am caught playing one in my bedroom and let pics circulate around the forums.

• Members

It depends with Bugeras. Some of them have solder joint problems. I think they've improved on this but in the past they have been known to be kind of unreliable. A Fender might be a good option if they're plentiful but will not sound like a Marshall. However, if you've already got a plexitone, you can get the marshally type sound from that and use the amp clean. Fenders are good at that. Perhaps a bassman combo or a twin?

• Members

I also saw they have the Bugera 6260 and Bugera 333 combo's. They seem cheap and look pretty cool. Are they any good?

The 6260 is extremely close to a Peavey 5150 and the 333 is extremely close to a Peavey Triple XXX. Neither of these would be my first choice for what you are going for. The Bugera 1990 is close to a Marshall JCM 900 and the Bugera 1960 is close to a Marshall Plexi, these would be better choices. The Bugera V22 is very close to a Peavey Classic 30 and the Bugera Magician is close to a Mesa/Boogie Mark IV. These would be good choices too. See if you can find one of those amps to play.

• Members
How about the Fenders? Would they do me any good? I really have no clue where to start...

Fender Super Sonic 22 combo would be a good choice for exactly what you describe, imo, if you could find a used one.

[video=youtube;qO_aM8y-n-g]

:idk:

• Members
Yeah. The funny thing is that I didn't knew that before. I guess I
am
a Marshall guy afterall.

I live in the Netherlands and Budda amps are pretty rare here. The store I went to was pretty big and they didn't have any of them in stock. They'd have to special order one. The Netherlands isn't much of a music country compared to the USA. People are more into techno here for some reasons I'll never understand.

I'm definitely going back to check some more aps out. They had the Egnater Rebel 30 that musicmanmu suggested as well. It's a 1000 bucks, so it's a little bit more than I hoped for, but I'm going to try it anyway.

The Peavey Classic 30 is nowhere to be found here. Jet City is pretty rare too.

Just caught that you live in the Netherlands ~ I should say that I *really* dig my Koch Studiotone head ~ you might look into that, because I think it does a pretty good job of clean/crunch/high gain without sounding too modern at all. :thu:

• Members

+1 on the Peavey C30, Egnater Rebel 30.

If you can check out Laney AOR 30 or 50. These usually go anywhere from $300-$500 used depending on condition & are built like a tank. They're practically hand wired employing only a turret pcb - but everything else is separately wired & mounted to the chassis.

Great clean tones & Marshall-esque gain. It was said that Ratt used these amps somewhere at the beginning of their career - but you can get 70's mid gain rock tones outta these beasts as well.

Archived