what you guys doing to preserve your hearing?

6stringmenace

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think it was Tool in maybe '06 in London that did the most damage to my hearing. Specifically Justin's {censored}ing stupid feedback part in that track that goes into Rosetta Stoned.

I went to an all-day outdoor music festival when I was about 15, and of course at that age you have no clue about hearing protection. We were maybe 100 ft of the right-hand side of the PA for a good 10 hours. My right eardrum has never been the same. :lol:

• Members

I'm using wadded wet tissue paper . . . seems to do the trick but muffles everything, as expected, miss hearing the full sound of my amp.

anyone using anything that cuts out the highs and lowers volume a bit, but still lets the goodness through?

Nothing. I find that my guitar playing and singing sounds better (to myself) as my hearing loss progresses.

Kidding aside. When I go to the shooting range I use ear plugs AND ear muffs. I also try to use ear plugs during shows. Some of the good ones seem to preserve tone but just cut down on volume.

When I practice I put the cab in a closet, mic it and listen to it on studio monitors that way I can keep the SPL down and still hear what I'm doing.

• Members

I used to take the plugs out when it was time to take the stage in order to not "lose the feel" etc. But then I realised that was a bit dumb because that's the time I'm standing next to a drum kit and right in front of my amp while a bunch of 12" and 3" speakers on the floor lazer 4 khz directly at my head. Honestly, after a few gigs with plugs I didn't even notice them any more. The trick is to put them in at the start of the night, before soundchecks etc. That way you don't get the feeling that suddenly everything sounds quiet and boring.

• Members

I used to take the plugs out when it was time to take the stage in order to not "lose the feel" etc. But then I realised that was a bit dumb because that's the time I'm standing next to a drum kit and right in front of my amp while a bunch of 12" and 3" speakers on the floor lazer 4 khz directly at my head. Honestly, after a few gigs with plugs I didn't even notice them any more.
The trick is to put them in at the start of the night, before soundchecks etc. That way you don't get the feeling that suddenly everything sounds quiet and boring.

^^^

I do this and the soundguys usually :getmadbrah: but I'm like hey, I want to be able to hear at the next gig too. Standing 5-10ft from rides and crashes all night w/out earplugs? Gtfo. My drummer is a maniac on cymbals so I'm in physical pain the next day when I don't put them in.

• Members

My band goes in-ear, and I have custom molds. I wear them both and keep the volume down. I keep it down so low that, I don't have much of my drummer in my mix, I can still hear the drums "in the room" on the stage, and just bring a little bit of everyone else to match.

• Members

i check levels/souncheck w/o them and put them in right before we start playing.

cymbals are the worst and i always seem to find heavy handed drummers - which is good but i agree about standing next to them for the whole night - not going to happen without plugs.

my grandma was basically deaf towards the end, really sad. its like you are in a room full of loved ones and cant participate in the conversations.

• Members

This is coming from someone who has lost hearing from nerve damage from chronic middle-ear problems in my left ear up til the age of 13 folks(I have roughly 90% hearing damage in the left ear as of last audiogram):

PROTECT YOUR HEARING NOW WHILE YOU STILL HAVE IT.

As a musician, your ears are your most valuable instrument, protect them at all costs because it takes less dB than you'd realize to damage them!

Bottom line, if you get ringing in the ears, you're getting hearing loss. Considering I've lived with it since I was 13, tinnitus is a real bitch and something that does not go away easily if at all.

Even cheapo foam Hearos are worth the investment in protecting your hearing, so do yourself a favor and don't give a {censored} what anyone else has to say about it either.

• Members

This is coming from someone who has lost hearing from nerve damage from chronic middle-ear problems in my left ear up til the age of 13 folks(I have roughly 90% hearing damage in the left ear as of last audiogram):

As a musician, your ears are your most valuable instrument, protect them at all costs because it takes less dB than you'd realize to damage them!

Bottom line, if you get ringing in the ears, you're getting hearing loss. Considering I've lived with it since I was 13, tinnitus is a real bitch and something that does not go away easily if at all.

Even cheapo foam Hearos are worth the investment in protecting your hearing, so do yourself a favor and don't give a {censored} what anyone else has to say about it either.

This. I used In Ears for years, but in this new band it has not been an option. I wore foam plugs for most everything we did and 'ran out' or 'forgot to get some more' and did a few rehearsals and a really loud show (House of Blues Las Vegas) without them. I noticed immediately (or, shall we say, for three days afterwards) that the left side (on the drum side) was ringing... I have not made that mistake again, and as soon as I can, I will go back to In-Ears. Either way, I'm going to keep up with earplugs until then.

I have worked in Live sound and make money with my ears to this day.. they are an important part of my instrument!

• Members

Good thread!!

I have religiously used some form of ear plug since a youngster going to concerts. I remember going to the bathroom during a Judas Priest show and doing the Toilet paper trick. They were so loud I was nauseous. {censored}ed my equilibrium up. My friend literally passed out!:facepalm:

I have tried all the various plugs---short of the in ear monitors. I have finally decided on a secret trick that for me attenuates the volume the best and provides for the best tone---in my experience. What is it?

Cigarette filters!:lol:

Pull one off a cigarette---preferably unsmoked!---and take off the paper. Rip that baby in two and then roll it between your fingers and place it in your ear canal. Sometimes you will have to double them up.

It is surprising how effective this is. And if you lose them---which I did with some very high-cost plugs on a couple of occasions---you are not out much money.... probably can mouch a smoke off someone at any time, right?

Try it. It works! :thu:

• Members

lots of great info on posted . . . .

seems the problem usually resides with the cymbals
. . . .

anyone use a plexi wall to help contain the drummer?

Cymbals are loud and nasty but sustained SPL's is what kills your hearing, not the occasional crash of cymbals.

• Members

This.

I've had tinnitus for about 15 years, but recently it got worse

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

could very well be . . .

my ears always buzz out when I'm standing too close too the drummer though

thinking of using a plexi glass partition to put up around him, but just doesn't look rock-n-roll like, maybe if we airbrush some fire around the bottom of it????

Archived