So, let's actually talk about tube amps for a moment, and possibly figure stuff out

Dolf

• Members

12AT7's are cool tubes. Lower gain but they produce more voltage. So in the PI they work well as they're a bit more dynamic. At least that's the theory and it's been my experience. It's mostly a feel thing.

tubes don't produce any voltage...

• Members

I use a JAN GE 5751 in the PI spot of the Randall RM's I have had. In my experience, it adds some clarity and more usable range on the gain with the preamp's.

The 5751 had this effect when using 6550's, 6L6's, EL34's, and any combination of those tubes in the 100 watt power sections of the RM's I have played.

I believe that many Fender amps come stock with the AT7 in the PI. I remember reading somewhere that the AT7 also works well in Rivera's. I have had a few of those as well but don't remember trying that out.

• Members

if RA said that tubes produce voltage, i'll eat {censored}.

Nope... he didn't. I just skimmed his site again. Great site. Somewhere I read something about the relationship of gain vs. voltage as it relates to 12AX7's vs. 12AT7's. I need to do more reading anyway.

• Members

Nope... he didn't. I just skimmed his site again. Great site. Somewhere I read something about the relationship of gain vs. voltage as it relates to 12AX7's vs. 12AT7's. I need to do more reading anyway.

what you probably read is that a 12at7 conducts about 10 times the current of a 12ax7. in the case of a long tail pair PI, that translates into a 12AT7 having a greater voltage gain than a 12AX7. you can verify what i'm saying using the PI calculator on the pentode press site.

bottom line is that in most amps, a 12at7 PI hits the power tubes harder than a 12ax7. whether that's good or bad depends on the user.

• Members

what you probably read is that a 12at7 conducts about 10 times the current of a 12ax7. in the case of a long tail pair PI, that translates into a 12AT7 having a greater voltage gain than a 12AX7. you can verify what i'm saying using the PI calculator on the pentode press site.

bottom line is that in most amps, a 12at7 PI hits the power tubes harder than a 12ax7. whether that's good or bad depends on the user.

That's exactly it lol... It's finals week mang... between my toddler and that my brain is barely working right now.

I've got a local dude about to order one of your amps tho lol. He's scrambling for the cash after I told him about you and had him look at your site.

• Members

yeah, sorta.

the larger the signal swing out of the PI, the more overdriven the power tubes can be. there's also some distortion to the signal caused by overdriving the PI.

So, this is why a 12AT7 in the PI spot of my JCM makes for killer clean tones? Like unbelievable sparkly clean tones? Because it can handle more heat pretty much?

Simpleton asking here. But it did make a stunning difference in my Marshall.

• Members

Lol... I just spent the day un-{censored}ing an amp I built (2203) that the guy took to a local "amp guru" to have converted to run 6550's. What a mess. Dude didn't have a clue what he was doing.

He just sort of randomly swapped stuff around in the bias supply circuit till it sort of worked. He even went so far as to install a bias trim pot where one of the 15k resistors should have been rather than just calculate or look up the appropriate value.

lulz...

Sounds killer now.

• Members

So, this is why a 12AT7 in the PI spot of my JCM makes for killer clean tones? Like unbelievable sparkly clean tones? Because it can handle more heat pretty much?

Simpleton asking here. But it did make a stunning difference in my Marshall.

yes, but not for the reasons you think. in most long tail pair phase inverters (which your marshall has), using a 12AT7 results in a larger signal going to the power tubes. this increases harmonic distortion, which makes stuff sound better. what you hear as clean really isn't clean at all, you see.

edit: here's a link to a calculator that will show you what i'm talking about: http://www.ampbooks.com/home/amplifier-calculators/long-tailed-pair/

to get an accurate number, change the "tail resistor" value to 10K. hit calculate with 12ax7 selected and look at the numbers it spits out. then, change the tube type to 12at7 and see what the numbers go to.

Archived