Andy Timmons - Electric Gypsy Cover

gibson5413

• Members

I have really been trying to improve my playing dynamics. Sometimes the best way to tighten things up is to play with less gain (at least compared to what I am used to). I have been tinkering with my Anderson Classic and have been loving the tones out of the single coils as of late. I decided to put together a quick cover clip of my favorite tune of his - Electric Gypsy.

Let me first say, I know I didn't play the first lead break like him (tapping the harmonic notes). I can't do it well enough so I decided to play it normally. In addition, I took quite a few liberties with notes and licks. I love cover clips that stay true but allow the player to show some of their own creativity, which I did. I never play the solo twice the same way. I got a little lost right towards the end but who cares, right? :yes:

Either way, hope you like it. I used my Anderson Classic and Rhy 2 on the Mark IV. Let me know if you have any questions.

[video=youtube;mekc__vFSOY]

• Members

Thanks for the comments guys. I wasn't going for his tone or anything. In fact, this is a fairly new tone I have been playing with in combination with single coils. I like it with the guitar volume rolled off a bit and the humbucker boosted. This amp (the Mark IV) is know for its Lead channel which I love. I have been trying to find my way around the Rhy 2 channel which I am starting to find useful for mid gain tones. I can see why some might not like the tone if comparing to Andy's but I like how it sounds on its own without comparison. I have always been a fan of cover tunes where the player uses their own tone and playing nuances instead of doing an exact note for note recreation. Most professionals (including Andy) never play it the same way twice which keeps it interesting.

I was thinking about redoing the clip with my standard Lead channel tone which I have dialed in real nice.

• Members

Nice one, dude
:)

Tone wise, I wasn't digging it though. Too harsh and trebly.

I know you weren't trying to cop a dead on Timmon's tone but that song needs a smoother tone with more body.

FWIW, his neck and middle pups are not true s/c's.

Thanks for the comments. Rhy 2 has quite a bit more differences in character when compared to the really focused Lead tone the amp is known for. I love how it sounds in the room with my single coils. The Anderson SCs that I have loaded here are more like a stacked single as well.

• Members

Nice job. As others have mentioned, I didn't like the tone. I never was a big fan of the Mark IV channel 2 tone ever though.

This is the first time I ever tried to record with channel 2. I may try and redo the clip with the Lead channel for comparison.

• Members

This is the first time I ever tried to record with channel 2. I may try and redo the clip with the Lead channel for comparison.

I bet you would get a lot closer to Timmons tone with a BB preamp into the clean channel of the Mark.

• Members

damn chad all of your vids are so inspiring to me. I happened to have loved the tone, it sounds very organic and loose which really fits that song especially the opening riff. Great playing as usual.

• Members

I bet you would get a lot closer to Timmons tone with a BB preamp into the clean channel of the Mark.

I'll have to try out the clean channel with a boost. I did some digging ans here is what Andy used for the studio track (in his words):

"The song was recorded live with my band using a VHT Pitbull 2x12 combo amp with no pedals, just the clean switching of the amp. The main portion of the song was on the mid-gain channel, though you can get a similar sound by running your amp clean with a Tube Screamer-type pedal in front of it. Then switching to a heavier tone from bar 64 out.

• Members

damn chad all of your vids are so inspiring to me. I happened to have loved the tone, it sounds very organic and loose which really fits that song especially the opening riff. Great playing as usual.

Thanks dude! You always make feel good about my playing even when I think I make mistake after mistake. Would love to hear a new clip from you soon.

• Members

One more comment. I realize you weren't trying to cop AT's tone, but in relation to dynamics, a different amp might help a bit with that. I found the Mark IV to not respond as well to different pick attacks as some other amps, particularly channel 2. The lower gain gets fizzy instead of warmer and smoother. That makes a big difference to the dynamics you can get when you pick harder or dig in. The dynamics that AT gets are much easier in my experience with the lonestar and BB preamp combo than with a Mark IV. The mark isn't as good at responding dynamically. Just a thought since you were talking about working on your playing dynamics.

• Members

One more comment. I realize you weren't trying to cop AT's tone, but in relation to dynamics, a different amp might help a bit with that. I found the Mark IV to not respond as well to different pick attacks as some other amps, particularly channel 2. The lower gain gets fizzy instead of warmer and smoother. That makes a big difference to the dynamics you can get when you pick harder or dig in. The dynamics that AT gets are much easier in my experience with the lonestar and BB preamp combo than with a Mark IV. The mark isn't as good at responding dynamically. Just a thought since you were talking about working on your playing dynamics.

I feel like I maybe sorta got ballparkish with my Thunderverb when I had it

http://tonefinder.com/files/26-channelBlightbreakup.mp3

Archived