OT:Anyone own an AWD Aerostar?

theAntihero

• Members

I had a 2wd Aerostar with the 4 liter engine. I loved it because it was based on a truck and not cars like comparable mini vans. Very solid. One problem, at least with the 4 liter, the engine is such a tight fit that ANY tuneup or work cost quite a bit.

• Members

Yeah.

My friend owned, one.

Solid car, we loved it, he still has the key for memory, his parents "cash for cluncked" it back in 08.

Took it too the beach with friends, it actually got into a couple accidents too and was still solid as a rock.

They are TANKS!

Good to know. It will be primarily used as a work van for concrete and carpentry work so hearing that they are tanks is great.

• Members

A co-worker recently bought one and is getting rid of it right away because he checked the milage. 15MPG.

Yeah, AWD minivans tend to completely blow on gas mileage. If the price is right and you need one, go for it, but I honestly wouldn't expect much fuel savings especially once that V6 is running around with it fully loaded.

That said, Aerostars tended to be solid vans as were the Astros Robson mentioned.

• Members

A co-worker recently bought one and is getting rid of it right away because he checked the milage. 15MPG.

The 1 ton van gets 10mpg as does the other and both are just rwd so it'll be an improvement either way.

If the price is right and you need one, go for it, but I honestly wouldn't expect much fuel savings especially once that V6 is running around with it fully loaded.

I have a ranger with a manual that loaded to the gills gets 21mpg and an Explorer with an automatic that gets 19mpg both with the same 4.0 ohv engine. The secret with these engines for fuel economy is synthetic oil, ive never seen an engine gain so much extra gas mileage with synthethic but the Ranger i mentioned jumped nearly 4mpg just by changing over to syn oil.

Ive looked at the Astros but to be honest i really like the Ford 4.0 OHV engine plus it seems like the Aerostar's awd system is a bit better. Plus for some odd reason the Aerostar's price is far lower.

• Members
The 1 ton van gets 10mpg as does the other and both are just rwd so it'll be an improvement either way.

I have a ranger with a manual that loaded to the gills gets 21mpg and an Explorer with an automatic that gets 19mpg both with the same 4.0 ohv engine. The secret with these engines for fuel economy is synthetic oil, ive never seen an engine gain so much extra gas mileage with synthethic but the Ranger i mentioned jumped nearly 4mpg just by changing over to syn oil.

Ive looked at the Astros but to be honest i really like the Ford 4.0 OHV engine plus it seems like the Aerostar's awd system is a bit better. Plus for some odd reason the Aerostar's price is far lower.

my full sized Ford van gets over 20mpg with 2000+ lbs of gear in the back.

• Members
I can squeek 13 out of it but im in the heavily-overloaded side of loaded complete with overload springs.

thing is, mine got about the same regardless. I towed a car home from Tallahassee and got about 15 going down, a little over 14 coming back. Same way when I pulled a trailer for larger outdoor shows.

• Members

I dunno how you guys are getting such good mileage. My band's '88 Ford Club Wagon w/ the 5.0L gets 10 MPG on a good day, fully loaded with everything (about 2000 lbs), when we're on the road. Usually it ends up being more like 8 MPG. It's maintained regularly too, so it's not in need of service.

• Members
I dunno how you guys are getting such good mileage. My band's '88 Ford Club Wagon w/ the 5.0L gets 10 MPG on a good day, fully loaded with everything (about 2000 lbs), when we're on the road. Usually it ends up being more like 8 MPG. It's maintained regularly too, so it's not in need of service.

ouch. Most 302s were fairly decent on gas.

• Members

Torque is how. The 302 isnt really a good truck engine but the 351 and 300 I6 both have good amounts of torque, in fact thats pretty much all the 300 has as it has an anemic amount of horsepower.

Both mine are Club Wagons as well, the 5.8 is the 1 ton extended as well.

• Members

Torque is how. The 302 isnt really a good truck engine but the 351 and 300 I6 both have good amounts of torque, in fact thats pretty much all the 300 has as it has an anemic amount of horsepower.

Both mine are Club Wagons as well, the 5.8 is the 1 ton extended as well.

This is true around the cities, yes. But with the short stroke of the 302, I'm always surprised when we're booting it up a mountain pass around 60 mph and I drop it into third and put my foot down... I can actually feel the power band in the high-end really kick in. Then I'm glad it doesn't have the inline 6.

But in downtown Vancouver/Seattle I wish it had the I6 hahah. Or the 460. :love:

• Members

This is true around the cities, yes. But with the short stroke of the 302, I'm always surprised when we're booting it up a mountain pass around 60 mph and I drop it into third and put my foot down... I can actually feel the power band in the high-end really kick in. Then I'm glad it doesn't have the inline 6.

But in downtown Vancouver/Seattle I wish it had the I6 hahah. Or the 460.
:love:

I think i see why you are getting 8mpg :lol:

The I6 is a great engine but it puts out something like 115hp while some versions put out 400ftlbs-ish at barely more than a 1000rpm. Its not winning any speed contests that arent downhill.

• Members

I think i see why you are getting 8mpg
:lol:

The I6 is a great engine but it puts out something like 115hp while some versions put out 400ftlbs-ish at barely more than a 1000rpm. Its not winning any speed contests that arent downhill.

You're right, come to think of it I may have answered my own question :lol:

I love that 300 precisely for its diesel-like characteristics, plus the fact they're bombproof. But yeah, passing power.. forget it.

• Members

You're right, come to think of it I may have answered my own question
:lol:

I love that 300 precisely for its diesel-like characteristics, plus the fact they're bombproof. But yeah, passing power.. forget it.

Yeah they might run for a million miles but itll take you longer than normal to get there....

Archived