Jackson neck question

stonem66

• Members

Okay, I just got a 96' Jackson RR1 and I LOVE the neck on it but cant get past the body shape it's impossible to sit and play. Before you ask why I got it, it was a trade in. Anyway, are there any experts here that can tell me if the soloist or the dinky from this era have the same neck as the RR1 from this time? Thanks in advance for any insight.

• Members

Yep same neck. All the way through as far as I remember.

For what it's worth, I thought the same thing about my first kv2 and traded someone straight for an SL1. I did regret it, I had to get another v.

My RR1 and KV2s get more love than my dk2 or sl1. But they all have their own strengths, oddly. There's things I like playing on the sl1 that don't come out on the RR and vice versa. I have my RR1 in C and it just seems to sing it out rather than muddy up like most others.

I also have a WRMG and I'm really gelling with the shape. As mad as it seems, it sits on the knee nicely and the back bout is great at acting for lovage for tremolo work. The strap buttons need moving on mine I think, but it's got me thinking about a WR1.

• Members

Are you playing it in this position?

RandyRhoadsClub4.jpg

That's very uncomfortable to do... if you ever have tried it. I've played a bunch of RRs and Vs in stores, and you constantly have to adjust the axe between your legs to keep if from falling... and it makes the necks stick up way too high and makes playing very un-comfortable... IMHO.

:idk:

• Members

My Rhoads Pro EX had a super thin, wide neck. The SL-1 I had for a while had a more C shaped neck than that of the Rhoads. Not sure if any of this info is useful to you, but maybe.

Yeah, those japanese models from the first half of the 90s often had very thin necks. The US models generally had a bit slimmer necks in the early 90s compared to the Select series, as well. But all in all there isn

• Members
Yeah, those japanese models from the first half of the 90s often had very thin necks. The US models generally had a bit slimmer necks in the early 90s compared to the Select series, as well. But all in all there isn

• Members

That's very uncomfortable to do... if you ever have tried it. I've played a bunch of RRs and Vs in stores, and you constantly have to adjust the axe between your legs to keep if from falling... and it makes the necks stick up way too high and makes playing very un-comfortable... IMHO.

I've had two Vs now, one RR, one King V style, and NEVER had this problem. I mean, yeah, the necks stick up a little bit more than standing with a strap, but not terribly. That picture up there is probably the worst possible way to attempt to hold a V while sitting. I've come to prefer the King V style because the bottom wing can be locked behind the leg to hold the guitar in place and it won't move a millimeter unless you want it to. The RR V makes that a bit more difficult to do, but if you keep a strap on it you can just set it to the right height to hold it in place when sitting. It's also important to be sitting low enough, or have something to stick your feet up on to keep your legs tilted slightly back towards your body rather than sloping down away from your body.

I've gotten to the point where I honestly prefer Vs when sitting down over traditional shapes. I do most of my writing that way because I'm constantly flipping between guitar and programming drums or writing down lyrical ideas.

• Members

Yep same neck. All the way through as far as I remember.

For what it's worth, I thought the same thing about my first kv2 and traded someone straight for an SL1. I did regret it, I had to get another v.

My RR1 and KV2s get more love than my dk2 or sl1. But they all have their own strengths, oddly. There's things I like playing on the sl1 that don't come out on the RR and vice versa. I have my RR1 in C and it just seems to sing it out rather than muddy up like most others.

I also have a WRMG and I'm really gelling with the shape. As mad as it seems, it sits on the knee nicely and the back bout is great at acting for lovage for tremolo work. The strap buttons need moving on mine I think, but it's got me thinking about a WR1.

The Warrior and BC Rich Stealth are pretty much the most comfortable body shape for playing metal. Unparalleled picking wrist position for palm muting. My WRMG is just as comfortable to play on my right knee as it is in the classical position, but my picking wrist seems to get less tired in the classical position, so I usually keep it there. I'm kind of disappointed that the WRMGs don't have the input jack on the upper wing like the WR1s, as the lower position gets in the way of my leg sometimes. It's not terrible, though.

• Members

That sounds more like the instructions on having surpirse boot secks with a midget hooker in the back seat of a Smart car. WTF?
:lol:

How about you just stick with a strat body shape and leave the Kama Sutra in the bed room?

:cop::p:facepalm:

Same thing applies to the strat body shape when sitting. Why must I spell this out? {censored} slips off your leg if your leg slopes downward from your body. {censored}ing retards up in this {censored} today.

• Members

I love sitting while playing my KV2. You need a good chair though. I found a drum throne to be the best because the lower wing doesn't hit anything or get put out of place. If you sit on a couch like RR is in the picture, you end up with half you ass off the couch to keep the lower wing unobstructed. Standing with a strap is just as comfortable to me though.

As far as necks go, yes, the KV2 and KE necks are thinner than the DK or SL necks, but they're all comfortable to me.

• Members

You obviously not man enough for that guitar. Trade it for a Dinky or Soloist.

I dig the axe for sure but am trying to keep my {censored} down to two guitars and I want both to be playable sitting too. This guitars kicks major ass when standing though.

• Members

never really bothered me as long as the stool I was sitting on was short enough. Looks like it's the standard classical position to me though.

• Members

Man, the OP already said he doesn't like to play the RR while sitting down, answer his {censored}ing question instead of trying to convince him he should like it. Jeez!

OP: yes, a Soloist of the same era will have the exact same neck. A Dinky will have the same neck but different neck joint obviously, as they are bolt-on guitars.

Archived