Can someone recommend a good record player?

Soundstorm

• Members

I've been wanting to start a vinyl collection for a good while now, but Best Buy is the only place that sells turntables here and they only have two {censored}ty looking ones.

Last night I was at my cousin's house and he gave me the complete box set of Slayer on vinyl. He doesn't even listen to metal, some company got his order wrong and he's just had it unopened in his closet for over a year.

So I'm just trying to get an idea what the price range to quality might be. Im not necessarily trying to go super hi fi, just something of good quality. Thanks breauxs

• Members

What's your budget?

Good first decks would be anything by Rega or Pro-Ject... However it really does depend on how much you have to spend and the quality you are after!

A Rega Rp-1 would probably run about $450-500

However you won't regret going vinyl!!

• Members

I just bought a Denon DP-300F a few months ago, they are $300 brand new. I love it. It has pushbuttons for the record size and speed. The tonearm returns to rest automatically when the record is done and you can start it manually or automatically. Plus it has an integrated Phono preamp (switchable on or off) so you can plug it into a receiver that doesn't have a dedicated Phono input. It's got really good reviews, but not many "audiophile" types recommend it due to the auto functions (they tend to steer away from tables with features that do not directly enhance the sound).

From what I've read the Rega and Pro-ject tables are really good too, but I wanted the auto start stop and auto speed adjust (the Rega and Pro-ject tables require you to manually move the belt to a different pulley to change speeds and the tonarm is fully manual).

• Members

I recently bought several turntables off Craigslist. You should be able to find a good one for around $50-$70 and then order a new cartridge for under $30.

Oh it's important to know if your stereo has a phono input. If not then you either need a phono preamp or just get a new TT with a built in preamp.

• Members

Those 1200's are always close to $400 on my CL. If you buy a TT on CL make sure you test it out. Check that the feet aren't falling off or gone. Check the arm cue lift to see if it goes up and down properly. The arm rest isn't broken. If it's auto/semi make sure the return occurs in the album lead out. And if auto that it cues to the beginning of the album. And makes sure it's hooked up to you can check both the left and right channel.

Things like the auto/semi auto function are usually adjustable with a hidden screw, but if they don't work properly you can use that to lower the price. Same with the cue height, it's adjustable. When I've bought TTs I see more stuff with defects that are listing as perfectly functional than I ever see with guitar gear. I recently bought two TTs for $50 that had problems I fixed. The guy originally wanted $100 for one of the TTs. But after I went through a litany of problems checking both he agreed to give me both for $50. So thoroughly test before buying and don't trust the sellers word.

You will want to buy a new stylus or cartridge no matter what. They are cheap and you should assume the old one is wore out. If it sounds good keep it as a spare in an emergency. Albums are awesome. There is just something that draws you into listening to the music when playing one.

Archived