New Kemper Day! Dirty clip inside...

Valtiel

• Members

But it comes pre-loaded with badass amp/tones, as evidenced by the clip in the OP.

You could use the unit as-is and never bother with the profiling stuff if you wanted.

Half the fun of these modellers is experimenting with new tones. I know theres probably some great sounds in it already but i know i'd want to load in my own tones too.

Like i said, im still considdering one but the over-reliance on the community is just a little off-putting for me

• Members

From what I gather, the barrage of varying noise that the Kemper sends through your amp during the Profiling process allows it to analyze and gather data about how the amp responds to said noise, and since the noises vary in frequency and power its able to gather how the amp reacts to varying voltage levels at different frequencies. This is how its able to capture the particular amp's dynamics, but only within the confines of how its setup. If you want to to profile your dimed plexi then I believe you need to have it dimed during the profiling process.
And yes, whatever is inherently quirky about your amp would come through in the profiling process
as long as those quirks have an audible impact on the tone or the feel of the amp.

There are actually some things that the kemper "fixes" if you consider it that.

In Chapper's big ass video here, later into the video when I think they're working with the cornford, he demonstrates how the real amp does this sort of squishy ultra compressed "flat line" on holding a note and the kemper doesn't which sounds SOOO much better than the actual cornford.

to me that is incredibly impressive because it's something I've heard quite a few nice amps do.

**EDIT** Go to right at the 41 minute mark!

• Members

Well, in case it hasn't been said enough ... great tones and playing. I really liked the Rad and Green Bogner patches as well as the AC20. This would be great for those of us who REALLY like our stage rigs but can't crank them loud enough at 2am or whenever it is convenient at home for recording. Profile it and have at it.

• Members
Valid point

you haz one

I just feel as if I wouldn't go on "tonal explorations" enough to justify getting something like an axe or kemper. For me, just changing out guitars (ie. les paul to strat) causes me to be inspired or play differently.

Well yeah, as always it's just down to the individual. :)

I don't do that much tonal exploration, as my guitar playing time is usually spent practising or working on stuff that involves my main sounds. But at the same time, the Axe rig (aside from a little prac amp and a Smokey) is all I have now. If I ran some expensive tube amp rig for my main sound, yeah maybe it'd be a bit excessive to have an Axe to just piss about with when I wanted something different. Certainly would be for me, budget-wise. But for me, it's my main rig, and happens to double as a great pissing-about tool. Aside from the amps, stuff like the looper are also great fun to play around with. It also works wonderfully to piss off my band mates when I just play a riff once and then stand there doing nothing while it loops. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi Valtiel,

Sounds great. Are those Andy's rigs or have you made your own. If so, would you mind posting them?

Cheers,

Mats N

The Bogner's, the Plexi, and the Carr are Andy's rigs. The AC20 and the Peavey 5150 are other user rigs as well, none of these are my own creation.

• Members

plexi and the slant 6 (?!?!) are my faves of the lot.

that's some good sounding amp. good lord! how's it feel though?

The feel is great! Its easy to fall into the trap of hating the way everything feels when you play at low volumes too much, which is very easy to do with modelers. Everything feels lifeless at apartment/conversation levels, the trick is making sure that lifelessness goes away when you bring the volume up and it absolutely does with the Kemper, just like a nice amp. That is of course if the Profile is solid because like I said earlier in the thread, there are a number of lousy profiles of very nice amps up there on the Kemper Rig Exchange that are none to pleasing to the ear or the hand, IMO at least.

• Members

That is of course if the Profile is solid because like I said earlier in the thread, there are a number of lousy profiles of very nice amps up there on the Kemper Rig Exchange that are none to pleasing to the ear or the hand, IMO at least.

Ok, so we know that profiles are based on "settings" from the original profilers amp, much like the soldano SLO profile on youtube from gold sound studios. The original sounded like {censored}, hence the profile sounded equally {censored}ty. It does however sound EXACTLY like the original. Wonder how much you are able to tweak a {censored}ty profile, to turn it into a great sounding profile????

Archived