hey guys.. help me with my mix

guitarbilly74

• Members

help me out and let me know what do you think it should be changed.. this is for our demo and I don't have the vocals yet

http://www.tonefinder.com/files/81-MC1.mp3

would appreciate some constructive comments and pointers.

You can be brutal too if you know your {censored} and back it up with some knowledge, I can take it :)

If you're just a noob/hater then just {censored} off :p

• Members

Use SoundCloud, goddammit!!! :mad:

:lol:

Guitars are WAAAAAAAAAAY out front, Billy. I mean WAY out front. It's burying everything else. But if you're mixing it, makes sense b/c you're the guitar player. :lol: That's the first impression I get. I'm a total mixing n00b as far as the technical aspect of it, but bass and drums need to come up, or guitar drop back. Tone is damned good tho. :thu:

• Members

Use SoundCloud, goddammit!!!
:mad:

Guitars are WAAAAAAAAAAY out front, Billy. I mean WAY out front. It's burying everything else. But if you're mixing it, makes sense b/c you're the guitar player.
That's the first impression I get. I'm a total mixing n00b as far as the technical aspect of it, but bass and drums need to come up, or guitar drop back. Tone is damned good tho.
:thu:

Yeah that's what I am thinking too. I need to turn the guitars down. It sounded cool last night, but listening to it today yeah, too much. :lol:

• Members

Yeah that's what I am thinking too. I need to turn the guitars down. It sounded cool last night, but listening to it today yeah, too much.

Also...and again, I'm a mixing tech n00b...but the clean part at the beginning, your bass player's tone seems like it might need more low end and less treble in the post EQ. Just seems a little tinny to me, but that could be exactly what you guys want, for all I know. :idk: Just my ears and taste. Cool tune, though.

• Members

Also...and again, I'm a mixing tech n00b...but the clean part at the beginning, your bass player's tone seems like it might need more low end and less treble in the post EQ. Just seems a little tinny to me, but that could be exactly what you guys want, for all I know.
:idk:
Just my ears and taste. Cool tune, though.

Cool, I will look into that as well :)

• Members

I only listened to about 1:30. Sounds pretty good dude. Murdoch is right..Guitars sound a little too loud. Personally on the distorted parts I would add more gain to the guitars. You clean tone is {censored}ing great but the distorted guitars just aren't enough for my tastes.

• Members

I think it sounds pretty reasonable overall. The rhythm guitar tracks are way too high in the mix and maybe a bit too heavy on the upper mids; not really digging the tone on the palm mutes much either. Are those live drums? Personally I'd try to do something to the snare, it doesn't really sit well in the mix to my ears, maybe tweak the EQ and try to work some compressor magic.

• Members

I only listened to about 1:30. Sounds pretty good dude. Murdoch is right..Guitars sound a little too loud. Personally on the distorted parts I would add more gain to the guitars. You clean tone is {censored}ing great but the distorted guitars just aren't enough for my tastes.

Yeah that makes sense, I recorded this track with the Legacy, which is not the heaviest sounding amp out there. I may record a few more guitar tracks with the Laney and mix them in.

• Members

I think it sounds pretty reasonable overall. The rhythm guitar tracks are way too high in the mix and maybe a bit too heavy on the upper mids; not really digging the tone on the palm mutes much either. Are those live drums? Personally I'd try to do something to the snare, it doesn't really sit well in the mix to my ears, maybe tweak the EQ and try to work some compressor magic.

Yeah, they're live drums. I would love to do something to the snare, I am not feeling it either, but I am not sure what to do to it. Do you have any compressor/eq tips I could use?

• Members

This is what I hear. The guitar needs to go down. The cymbals need to come down. the drums sound pretty distant, but I'm not sure if that's a symptom of being too far back in the mix. BTW this track needs some type of Marshall on it, maybe like MkIII 900? :lol:

BTW that snare is way too ringy for my tastes. Its a long PIIIIIINNGGG with no real body or snap to it. Was it miced up, or did the over heads cover all the drums?

• Members

The rhythm guitars are a bit hot. The snare seems to be a bit lost in the mix to me, not like the typical snappy snare that I personally like. The rhythm guitar is a bit muffled in the low end, I have found that using a low pass eq on my rhythm guitar helps clean up the sound so it doesn't clog in that frequency (which it seems to be battling the bass guitar, at least to my ears). The leads sound awesome, maybe a bit low than it should be though. At the end it sounded Toolesque, which I totally dig!

Overall, that is a cool track and I love the structure of it! I think the biggest area of focus should be blending the rhythm guitars back and adjusting the leads a bit more forward (of course this is dependent upon how low you end up taking the rhythm guitars).

I can't wait to hear the updated mix!

Cole

• Members

This is what I hear. The guitar needs to go down. The cymbals need to come down. the drums sound pretty distant, but I'm not sure if that's a symptom of being too far back in the mix. BTW this track needs some type of Marshall on it, maybe like MkIII 900?

BTW that snare is way too ringy for my tastes. Its a long PIIIIIINNGGG with no real body or snap to it. Was it miced up, or did the over heads cover all the drums?

The snare was mic'd up from the top and bottom. But there is also a lot of snare bleeding into the overheads, and a lot of other {censored} bleeding into the snare mic so whenever I try to change the snare sound, it changes the whole drums tone. I hate recording drums with a passion :mad:

Pretty sure the 900 MKIII would fit well in the mix :lol:

• Members

The rhythm guitars are a bit hot. The snare seems to be a bit lost in the mix to me, not like the typical snappy snare that I personally like. The rhythm guitar is a bit muffled in the low end, I have found that using a low pass eq on my rhythm guitar helps clean up the sound so it doesn't clog in that frequency (which it seems to be battling the bass guitar, at least to my ears). The leads sound awesome, maybe a bit low than it should be though. At the end it sounded Toolesque, which I totally dig!

Overall, that is a cool track and I love the structure of it! I think the biggest area of focus should be blending the rhythm guitars back and adjusting the leads a bit more forward (of course this is dependent upon how low you end up taking the rhythm guitars).

I can't wait to hear the updated mix!

Cole

Cool, I see we have pretty much a consensus regarding lowering the guitars and working on the snare tone so I will focus on that. Using the low pass filter on the guitar tracks might also be a good idea, I need to see if the low end will still be too much once I turn it down :)

• Members

The snare was mic'd up from the top and bottom. But there is also a lot of snare bleeding into the overheads, and a lot of other {censored} bleeding into the snare mic so whenever I try to change the snare sound, it changes the whole drums tone. I hate recording drums with a passion
:mad:

Pretty sure the 900 MKIII would fit well in the mix

Try using a gate to chop out the bleed from other instruments or go in and do it by hand. That will make the drums much more present. Do it for all the mics that you don't bleed going through.

• Members

Try using a gate to chop out the bleed from other instruments or go in and do it by hand. That will make the drums much more present. Do it for all the mics that you don't bleed going through.

Yeah I tried the gate but by the time I get the bleeding to be chopped out, it also affects the snare tone. I was dreading the thought of having to do it by hand but I think that's what I need to do :cry:

• Members

Have not read anyone else's post so this may have been covered already. The rhythm guitar is covering everything. More Snare, Kick and Overheads on the drums and much more girth from the bass. You may want to roll off some above 12k as the cymbals seem a little harsh too.

• Members

Yeah I tried the gate but by the time I get the bleeding to be chopped out, it also affects the snare tone. I was dreading the thought of having to do it by hand but I think that's what I need to do
:cry:

Bill, if you wanted, could you send me these tracks? I'm trying to get some mixing practice with live drums sounds so I can mess with samole replacement and all that nonsense. If not, I totally understand, but it never hurts to ask.

• Members

Bill, if you wanted, could you send me these tracks? I'm trying to get some mixing practice with live drums sounds so I can mess with samole replacement and all that nonsense. If not, I totally understand, but it never hurts to ask.

I dont have an issue with sending them but let me ask my bandmates first. :)

Archived