So...Peavey Butcher vs. VTM

Ovid9

• Members

What's the difference? I could search the net, but...honestly everything I know, love and believe I get from here. So...

If I understand things correctly, the Peavey Butcher (original) is essentially a Marshall right? But which Marshall?

The VTM is essentially a Marshall (which one?) but hot rodded because of the dip switches.

Basically, I'm asking because I have the opportunity to buy a Butcher, but I already own a VTM. While the idea of a rig of doom of a VTM & Butcher together makes me hard, I honestly have other gear things that would be more practical if the VTM pretty much covers all the ground the Butcher would.....I'll probably pass on the Butcher for now.

Damn I hate having low limits of disposable income. :cry:

• Members

The VTM is a Butcher with dip switches and an effects loop. Roger Crimm stated something to that effect on the Peavey forum at one point.

Ok, I thought that to be the case...but I think many things that aren't necessarily true. :lol:

Somehow knowing this still doesn't make me want to buy that Butcher any less. :(

:lol:

Dammit, I was 240 watts of tube power stacked on top of each other. Must resist pointless purchase. MUST RESIST! :mad:

• Members

The vtm does everything the butcher does and more, but i found myself liking thd butcher more
:lol:

Sometimes simple and straightforward is the best!

I'm gonna pass, but I know, down the line, I'll be like "damn, why didn't I buy that?" and the stuff I will buy won't satisfy me. :lol:

• Members

Poor People amps, LOL.

Ha! Cause most musicians are known for having a ton of cash right? I think most of the members have had one of these at one point in time. I have played one and it sounded decent, loud as fuk that's for sure!!!

• Members

How much is the Butcher?

~$300 plus shipping I think. The MusicGoRound in Davenport has it. I don't know if its up on their site yet as they just got it back from a tech. Might be a bit more now that its been gone over.

• Members

The VTM has a considerable amount more gain than the Butcher just with the gain 1 dip switch, and a huge amount more with the gain 1 and 2 dip switches engaged. It's way more versatile and I disagree that the Butcher is bigger sounding. It is definitely a bit more raw, but with all dip switches disengaged on the VTM they sound nearly identical imo.

• Members

I'd get it. Great amps for the money, just ugly as hell and heavy as hell... real back breakers those amps are.

Hell yeah they are heavy. A butcher was my first tube amp and its up there with my Ampeg in terms of back pain.

Archived