Trade advice: JVM410h for JCM800 2203x reissue

satannica

• Members

Been talking to this guy for a few weeks and he's offered a trade: My JVM410h, brand new condition with box, manuals etc, for his JCM800 2203x reissue in pretty much the same nick; from the photos original box too, manuals etc. Straight trade, no cash either way.

Sadly, I'm not going to get to try it out other than driving up to meet him (130 miles away). But I don't mind putting in the time/fuel to do it.

Question is, should I? I love my JVM410h, never really thought of getting rid of it, but I do have JCM800 gas pretty bad... I've only ever owned one which went a while ago (traded for a Jackson KV2).

If it helps, I also have a Peavey 6505+.

• Members

the JVM will get close enought to the 800 that I don't think it would be worth trading.I had a modded DSL100, 2203kk, and a JVM 410h all at the same time and ended up keeping the JVM because it got close enough to the other two amps.personally i would sell the peavey and just buy an 800 then go from there...

• Members

In my comparisons the 800 reissue had less bottom end/warmth than the originals but still sounded decent to me maybe the differences in the transformers account for some of this not sure. With a boost pedal for higher gain stuff it sounded as good if not better than the JVM high gain sound just imo.

• Members

No way I would do that trade personally. The 2203x is a great amp , but the 2nd channel on the JVM can get scary close to the same tone. Value wise , they are neck and neck though. I just personally wouldnt do the trade

• Members

I wouldn't do it either. Not for the reissue at least! I am with norton666 who says that if a/b properly the JVM gets "close enough" for me at least. Plus this kind of versatility (if you gig the amp that is) is godsend.

If you don't and have that much GAS consider it. Or sell the JVM and hunt for an older marshall perhaps.

• Members

The tone is great from both amps, but with the JVM there was just too much there for me. I guess it also comes from laziness...I didn't like balancing the channels/master volumes everytime I had to plug in. I liked the simplicity of my 2203, plus it sounds badass. Either way, you'll have a great amp.

• Members

the JVM will get close enought to the 800 that I don't think it would be worth trading.I had a modded DSL100, 2203kk, and a JVM 410h all at the same time and ended up keeping the JVM because it got close enough to the other two amps.personally i would sell the peavey and just buy an 800 then go from there...

This. I just got a Plexi reissue and thought I would end up selling the JVM, but after playing them together a few times , I can get 99% of the tones of the Plexi out of the JVM. The differences are minimal, I promise blindfolded, you would not be able to tell the difference. The JVM and also has a great clean, and OD1 orange which is one of the best Marshall OD's IMO. I also have a ckoke in my JVM and that made me like the JVM allot more.

Archived