YARR!!! It be a NGD. Jackson, Hand-painted by Peter Joseph/ihave27frets (The Absence)

superflyinmonke

• Members

This is totally true. I've used the X2N a bit myself in the past, and I found this is definitely the case. Hell, I remember it even came with a piece of paper in the box saying it needs to be backed off more than standard pick-ups to sound right, due to it's strong magnetic pull..something like 1/4" was recommended.

FWIW, I actually do the same with my Blackouts. The output on those is ridiculously hot, but if you back them away from the strings more than you might a more 'normal' pick-up the hrashness and clipping chills out, and the tone gets very big, and deep sounding while still having plenty of bite.

I always keep a little screw driver handy after installing pick-ups so when I plug in and turn my amp up to a good loud playing volume I make adjustments to the pick-up height between bashing out a couple repetitive riffs, and listening for the changes in tone. Wash, rinse, repeat til you find the sweet-spot. Very rewarding, and it really only takes about 5 minutes or so of trial and error.

Exactly on the Blackouts.. Emg have such low magnet pull they recommend.putting them right under the strings.. Which I do and prefer.. When I first tried the blackouts I did the same and it was horrible.. Eventually before I yanked them it I tried really messing with the heights and they started sounding a lot better to my surprise.. Now I like the blackouts, but only when they are set up a fair distance from the strings.. EMG I still like right under the strings..

For instance the Crunch lab also has insane magnet pull.. Everyone complains about it being muddy and bass heavy.. I thought the same thing til I dropped it and it soundEd way better.. Some pickups sound anemic and have no attack when dropped down like that.. But the X2N and Crunch lab still retain plenty of attack and low end, they just become tighter and more open.. On the flip side, my 2 Evh pickups, the Frankenstein and Wolfgang both sound best when they are closer to the strings than I typically would with a passive.. Moral of that story, {censored} with them heights!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Exactly on the Blackouts.. Emg have such low magnet pull they recommend.putting them right under the strings.. Which I do and prefer.. When I first tried the blackouts I did the same and it was horrible.. Eventually before I yanked them it I tried really messing with the heights and they started sounding a lot better to my surprise.. Now I like the blackouts, but only when they are set up a fair distance from the strings.. EMG I still like right under the strings..

For instance the Crunch lab also has insane magnet pull.. Everyone complains about it being muddy and bass heavy.. I thought the same thing til I dropped it and it soundEd way better.. Some pickups sound anemic and have no attack when dropped down like that.. But the X2N and Crunch lab still retain plenty of attack and low end, they just become tighter and more open.. On the flip side, my 2 Evh pickups, the Frankenstein and Wolfgang both sound best when they are closer to the strings than I typically would with a passive.. Moral of that story, {censored} with them heights!

Thanks for the advice and I completely agree. I was just riffing and having fun. Since the tools were more than arms-length away, I didn't {censored} with the height yet. Pete set it up wonderfully for me. I already changed to strap-locks so I can use the same strap as my other V and I also have a brass block ready to go in, but I'm not quite done playing it with the current set-up yet. I have 3 pickup sets kicking around, in case I feel I need a change.

I'm considering selling my Voodoo, since this one fills the D-standard field and I've forgotten who on here called dibs. This guitar has a bigger, not as agressive tone as the other V, so I don't need the overly thick sounding Voodoo. I'd like to keep all of them, but I'm a student now and I probably shouldn't.

• Members

{censored}ing sick dude

Want another?
:cop:

Thanks Mave. I can't say I love the colour scheme of that one. You have 3 Jacksons now, right? The only other Jackson V I'd consider getting now is my own custom or the Corey Beaulieu Custom hairydangler has.

I dropped the bass side of the pickup and increased presence and I got pretty much instant Symbolic tones. It has a good grind to it and sounds just as big with more definition. It's not a very dynamic tone, but it screams death-metal, which is a great trade-off, since the black/red one is thrashy as all {censored}.

I'll probably keep it as is for a while, since I wanted a more death sounding guitar, but I may opt for a Crunchy Rail to make it a little more dynamic and natural sounding, while still keeping that grind that I love about the X2N.

• Members

Jesus christ thats epic!!! Looks amazing. Ever since I saw his Suhr and his avenger headshell that he did, Ive wanted to get something done like that. The avenger headshell was {censored}ing badass.

The Avenger was badass too. He is very much a perfectionist who takes a lot of pride in his work.

• Members

Amazing looking finish on a killer guitar.

Cool..

But concerning the X2N, make sure you play with the heights before you off it.

I was gonna suggest this as well. The X2N lived in my RG1570 for a long time and really sounded awful unless it was backed way off the strings. Up close it could sound spanky clean, but made any sort of gain sound like buzzy {censored}. Backed off it sweetend up a lot.

• Members

Nay, he's a tattoo artist. I really appreciate him taking the time to do this for me.

The Avenger was badass too. He is very much a perfectionist who takes a lot of pride in his work.

Well damn, I would have liked to see how much and what he would do to my tiger painted Charvel San Dimas

• Members

Amazing looking finish on a killer guitar.

I was gonna suggest this as well. The X2N lived in my RG1570 for a long time and really sounded awful unless it was backed way off the strings. Up close it could sound spanky clean, but made any sort of gain sound like buzzy {censored}. Backed off it sweetend up a lot.

As I mentioned before, it did sweeten up a bit, but nothing very significant, considering it is a very hot humbucker. The leads have a nice fluidity to them, with a more filled out tone in general. Really well tailored to death metal with the grind characteristic. It really opened up with a take-your-head-off more open quality, but it's not very natural sounding. One might call it forced.

• Members

They were running ~$1100-$1300 when I was shopping, but the custom paint ones are at least a few hundred higher. Just keep trying to find another LTD Ninja or another V. The KV2 is an excellent guitar. I've only played 3, but none have had anything about the sound I didn't like. It's a guitar I would still consider buying again without having played/heard. Mine definitely sound different, but it's only in terms of strengths, as they are only weak in sounding {censored}ty.

There's a joke in there somewhere...

haha word. Well, if its gonna be that cost, Id rather save the couple hundred more and get an SV-II...

Archived