Animals As Leaders Assaulted by Boston Police

spawnofthesith

• Members

It means that I live in a large mertopolitan area like Boston and have never seen anything like that. Do you really think that there is a big difference between cops in NY and Boston or any large metropolitan area? Did you really need an explanation?

Actually, dept. culture plays a huge role in the quality of policing on the street. Whole reams of PhD's have been won writing about such things in Psychology. It's kind of interesting even though I'm not a psych major.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
In my experiences, older cats (well, dudes in their mid 40's & up ) are usually alright, and black cops. Black cops have always been square with me & never seem to have the "cop attitude" white dudes have (and Im white & country as they come). When I was 17, one asked me "What's that plate on your front bumper about?" (A confederate flag lic plate) . I told him that it was simply just decoration. Im Southern. That's how I was raised. It represents to me the way I live, my family, my brothers, the things we do, and how we do 'em. He just said "Good enough. Get that light fixed. Have a good day son." and went on his way.

On the other hand, young cops, and small cops usually (again, in my experiences) are usually pricks. Most bigger guys will tell you that there are guys with little man syndrome. (Im 6'4 & about 210. Not exactly a big dude, but have run into little man syndrome guys ALOT. Mix little mans syndrome with a badge ..and you get an a$$hole.

The young guys must have the eager rookie thing going. Maybe they mellow with experience.

No doubt... The bad cops get all the press and make the rest wear the black eye for it. Sure, Ive run into my share of assholes but for the most part, I have found that when you treat them with some respect, you dont have problems. I can count the bad experiences on one hand but have lost count of the good ones...

• Members

It means that I live in a large mertopolitan area like Boston and have never seen anything like that.
Do you really think that there is a big difference between cops in NY and Boston or any large metropolitan area?
Did you really need an explanation?

Yes. Different departments most definitely can have different cultures.

• Members

It means that I live in a large mertopolitan area like Boston and have never seen anything like that. Do you really think that there is a big difference between cops in NY and Boston or any large metropolitan area? Did you really need an explanation?

For real. I've never seen a large dog attack a small dog in Louisiana, so I find it really doubtful that Ricky Bobby observed anything like that this morning in Texas.

• Members

id be very surprised if that trainwreck of a story was accurate. i could be wrong, who knows?- but that sounds very one sided. they very well couldve been lit up and decided to get in the cops' business.

of course theres some bad cops out there but theres also a lot of asshole drunk musicians. taking ones side over the other based on a 3rd grade writing level blog post or whatever is silly.

• Members
Simply because you've never witnessed something doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.

Of course not but in the end, cops are cops. The cultures argument may hold some water but in the end, theyre all dealing with the same issues for the most part.

• Members

Where in NYC? There's a big difference in NYPD between Forest Hills Gardens and Bed Stuy.

• Members
Training methods, policies & procedures, department size, the citizenry, politics, etc. These are all variables that can affect the culture of a department.

So what are the differences between NYPD and BPD that explains the incident?

• Members

Eventually they do let him go, cause we did nothing wrong, but its a situation that was completely instigated and escalated by the cop.. For what? His ego and power trip is all I could figure

This happens all too often because most cops feel that ordinary citizens are supposed to cower in their presence. If their very presence doesn't intimidate you, they have no problem being complete a-holes in an effort to goad you into something that they can make a big deal out of. Most cops feel that the law doesn't apply to them.

A few weeks ago I was reading about the trial of one of the people arrested as part of the "occupy wall street" movement. He was arrested for doing nothing more than observing a protest, but the arresting officer accused him of a whole bunch of things that he knew he didn't do. Since the whole "he said, she said" thing always goes in favor of the police officer, the officer assumed the whole thing was a slam dunk. The defendant testified and gave their version of the story, and the arresting officer did the same. Much to the arresting officers dismay, the defendant was able to provide video footage (shot by a third party) of the entire arrest. Sure enough the video tape matched up exactly to the defendant's version of events and completely contradicted the arresting officers version of events. If that were you or me, we'd have been charged with Perjury for lying under oath, but because it was a police officer, they didn't get so much as a reprimand. In reality they should have been fired on the spot AND charged with perjury.

• Members

Of course not but in the end, cops are cops. The cultures argument may hold some water but in the end, theyre all dealing with the same issues for the most part.

Ok, maybe I'm missing your argument, but it seems like you are suggesting that because you've never seen this type of thing in NY, it's unlikely that it happened in Boston. Is that accurate?

• Members

Ok, maybe I'm missing your argument, but it seems like you are suggesting that because you've never seen this type of thing in NY, it's unlikely that it happened in Boston. Is that accurate?

No not entirely. I think that my main premise is that from what Ive seen amd experienced, Im willing to reserve judgement until I get both sides of the story. If you notice, I didnt really take a side in this incident. I disagree that the majority of cops are assholes but I fully admit that there are bad cops out there doing bad things.

I happen to know more than a few cops and the vast majority of them are guys that are no different than you or I; youd never know they were cops if you met them off duty. I know a bunch that fit the stereotype to the T as well, I just dont hang out with them anymore lol... BTW, many of the guys that I know are not all NYPD. Some are Nassau county , some are State Troopers, some are in various areas of Jersey and some are from other areas of the country.

• Members

Feel free to back up that statement

Common sense has backed it up plenty..

Unless I'm misreading your intent, but you are coming across like you've never experienced or can believe that a cop may unjustly start harassing a innocent person or simply a guy passing by. While it may not be as cut and dry as that in the OP, I have definitely seen cops instigate arguments among people who were doing nothing more than standing on a street, in my own personal experience. And have seem countless other times when a cop will just randomly focus in on someone I and start asking questions with an attitude, which to me is along the lines of trying to get someone to.respond back and talk themselves into trouble. I've seen occasions such as this totally unprovoked. I think at times cops are looking for reasons to have a little "fun" on their jobs, for presumably power trips and because some feel they can get away with it..

And the fact you are in NYC and claim that you've never remotely seen something like that seems very naive, especially considering the size of the city and the amount of altercations cops will get into.. Its actually understandable that at times cops may overreact to a passer by, because of experiences they've had in the past and because their lives are put into danger whenever they are arresting someone and are or in a crowd or street.. Understandable, but doesn't make them right if they do overreact. On the other hand there are also just plain ole instigators and power trippers in all walks of life, certainly including cops

• Members

No not entirely. I think that my main premise is that from what Ive seen amd experienced, Im willing to reserve judgement until I get both sides of the story. If you notice, I didnt really take a side in this incident. I disagree that the majority of cops are assholes but I fully admit that there are bad cops out there doing bad things.

I happen to know more than a few cops and the vast majority of them are guys that are no different than you or I; youd never know they were cops if you met them off duty. I know a bunch that fit the stereotype to the T as well, I just dont hang out with them anymore lol... BTW, many of the guys that I know are not all NYPD. Some are Nassau county , some are State Troopers, some are in various areas of Jersey and some are from other areas of the country.

Well, I definitely misunderstood your argument then. And I pretty much think that everyone else did too. I'm willing to reserve judgment here too, but I wouldn't be completely surprise if there were more than a kernel of truth to this. It does sound a bit one sided, but generally speaking, I wouldn't be astounded to find out that a cop used excessive force. It happens pretty often all over the place. The civilians may not have been completely innocent, either.

And to use a bit of your logic, I know a lot of people who aren't cops. I don't personally know a single person who would willingly pick a fight with a cop.

• Members

Anyone remember that guy who posted on here about him almost getting killed driving by a guy who intentionally slammed into him, caused serious damage to his car. When the police got there, they said there was no crime committed and wouldnt help they guy or even report the incident.

• Members

And the fact you are in NYC and claim that you've never remotely seen something like that seems very naive, especially considering the size of the city and the amount of altercations cops will get into.. Its actually understandable that at times cops may overreact to a passer by, because of experiences they've had in the past and because their lives are put into danger whenever they are arresting someone and are or in a crowd or street.. Understandable, but doesn't make them right if they do overreact. On the other hand there are also just plain ole instigators and power trippers in all walks of life, certainly including cops

See above. Ive spent some serious time in bad neighborhoods as well as very active neighborhoods that are going to have a police presence due to the very nature of what they are. Ive got friends all through out the city and not a single one of them has ever had anything to complain about where NYPD is concerned. Granted, we've had ourissues with the Louima, Diallo and Sean Bell incidents but Im sure that youd agree with me that doesnt speak for NYPD or police as a whole. The media would have you believe otherwise because all they show you is the bad but what else is new..

Archived