So is this GSP1101 the best modeler in the market or what?

guitarbilly74

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's a strange thing, I've heard many a modeler sound good recorded. Mine is set for in-ears/FoH/recording, I haven't experimented with a power amp and cab yet, but I will.

I've never been in the same room with a snax or Kemper, so I can't comment on them. Mark Day's recent clips of the Axe rig with that power amp, sound pretty darn good in the room.

You just heard 3 out of 4 of my tones, the only other one I use is a Fender Twin clean. I could prolly get away with using the 77 Master Volume for a clean tone, so, buying a $2k modeler for 2 or 3 models is a bit of a waste for me.

Billy, I think the answer for you would be, "how does it sound in the room, compared to my amps"?

• Members

I think the 1101's are kickass, i've heard lots of great tones from them. The Kemper sounds like the amps its profiled so if you don't like it then you don't like that amp/speaker/mic combo, easy enough. It does not mean one is better than the other, but if you're going off the benchmark of real amps then I don't think its really a contest. Different tools for different jobs.

• Members

I have both.

GSP1101 for value is pretty hard to beat , i've never been able to get a direct tone as good as thru the power section of my Laney.

The Eleven Rack is slightly more realistic direct , ive had much better results with it , tones are pretty darn good.

Thru the power section of the laney its sounds even better than the GSP.

Never tried any AXE FX units so i cant comment, would like to try one and it would have to be enormously better than either of the units i currently to justify the cost.

GSP 1101 is used as my staple FX in my rig for the last 3 years, absolutely love it.

Coupled with a good valve power amp it can definatelty hold its own.

Just my opinion .

• Members

For the price (I bought mine used with controller for less than 3 bills) they can't be beat.

IR capability, great effects only, great in 4CM, effects spillover, fast preset change time (negligible latency).

Models sound very good and you can expand a vast majority of that tone using IR's.

• Members

For me a modeller is not an amp and I can't find them comparable unless we are talking recorded tones, in my oppinion. For the use and target group along with the fx and routing capabilities and ability to just integrate to a system/rig with minimal hassle the GSP 1101 is an overachiever whereas some other even higher level more expensive products are not exactly worth their price tag. This analogy maybe different for everyone but the GSP 1101 I find a succesfull concept. Also USA made! Only gripe seems to be the harmonizer (which is dependent on the tuner) is not exactly top notch (constant pain for some of its users) for whoever needs it.

I was dissapointed that digitech didn't evolve it or replace it and went the i-thing route.

• Members

For me a modeller is not an amp and I can't find them comparable unless we are talking recorded tones, in my oppinion. For the use and target group along with the fx and routing capabilities and ability to just integrate to a system/rig with minimal hassle the GSP 1101 is an overachiever whereas some other even higher level more expensive products are not exactly worth their price tag. This analogy maybe different for everyone but the GSP 1101 I find a succesfull concept. Also USA made! Only gripe seems to be the harmonizer (which is dependent on the tuner) is not exactly top notch (constant pain for some of its users) for whoever needs it.

I was dissapointed that digitech didn't evolve it or replace it and went the i-thing route

you and me and 150,00 other loyal fans

The bitch of it was that Digitech rep saying how excited we'll all be at the new Workstation and GSP lines and it was {censored}ing Ipad Dock RP500/1000 POS repackaged.

• Members

Hear hear.

I still have a GSP1101 in my rack! Great little amp.

Of the modellers I've tried, I always felt the Pod HD500 represented the best value, however after spending a few weeks with the 11Rack, I'm coming round; it's getting more use than my Pod HD500 these days. It's more expressive and feels more like a player - I dunno, trying to explain it without using bollocks words. It feels more like you're playing a real amp, if it makes sense; the guitar just seems to respond to it that way, but I just wish there was some more usable gain on some of the models.

The AxeFX II was really good, thought the models were excellent. However, I just didn't see the

• Members

I've been pretty damn impressed eith my buddy's Fender Mustang III
. Best modeler

I've played, personally. Wouldn't mind checking out that new Mustang floorboard they have now.

This. I like it's Fender tones more than the Axe-fx :idk:

• Members

Im under the impression that with modellers, and most gear, the user makes the main difference. A noob could make a snax sound {censored}ty while a pro could get a cheap digitech rp150 sounding great

To a point, I would tend to agree, but then with modellers there's no real art to them. IMO, a noob can get great results surfing the net for a patch that someone posts up. One of my main Pod HD500 patches is one I got off CustomTone eversoslightly tweaked.

The 11R takes a little more work admitedly, but it's not like if you got someone to sit down with a JTM45 or a JCM900 DR; those are a lot harder to dial in IMO to get the tone that's in your head.

That said, I think my next money will go on a Mesa Triaxis. I used to own one and loved it, just not sure how it'd sound with my EL34 loaded Marshall Power AMp.

• Members

ok, but is a noob going to know how to eq whatever patch they download for the room they are in or make the tiny adjustsments for their cab or pickups? 2 people playing the same patch with different gear in different rooms could sound very different. my point is that people who know how to dial something in can make a much cheaper piece of gear sound better than a noob with expensive gear.

• Members

ok, but is a noob going to know how to eq whatever patch they download for the room they are in or make the tiny adjustsments for their cab or pickups? 2 people playing the same patch with different gear in different rooms could sound very different. my point is that people who know how to dial something in can make a much cheaper piece of gear sound better than a noob with expensive gear.

I'm not totally disagreeing, however modellers do blur that line a helluva lot. A lot of it has to do with how easy a particular piece is to dial in to begin with. IMO, modellers are relatively simple compared to vintage valve amps.

• Members

While we're here (and I'm lazy), link to these clips?

Made a few new clips. Guitar used is my PRS Dave Navarro model loaded with Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz set. All using the Digi ALT412 cab sim. Direct in, with USB cable, recorded with Reaper.

First up, my main dirt tone, the '77 Master Volume model. It starts with coil tap activated on the neck pickup, then both pickups, then bridge pickup. At 1:20 I add some chorus and delay. After that, (about 1:50) I switch to full bridge humbucker:

http://soundcloud.com/guitarbaba/77-master-volume-tone-clip

Second is my "dirtIER" tone :D, JCM800. I add delay at about 1:40 in. This one is a bit long, you get the idea within 2 minutes:

http://soundcloud.com/guitarbaba/jcm800-tone-clip

Third, this is pretty much the same tone, it's my lead tone, so it has delay, but I have the SD distortion on this preset. I just hit record and played whatever came to me.

http://soundcloud.com/guitarbaba/jcm800-lead-tone-clip

Archived