NAD: Peavey Prowler content

Mind Riot

• Members

Hark! What unknown cargo doth yonder van delivereth to me?

Box.jpg

I shall unleash what lies within by my trusty blade!

Prowler.jpg

Rejoice, one and all! It doth be the stuff of legend, the venerable Peavey Prowler! It has come to saveth us all.

And what is this? What lay betwixt the walls of thine Prowler, but an even more deadly force for staving in the skulls of thine enemies?

V30.jpg

Let us retire to the Great Hall to be regaled by the stories of battle and triumph thine Prowler bringeth! Let us drink deeply of the wenches and fornicate endlessly with thine mugs of sweet ale!

Rig.jpg

Rejoice, one and all! Our times of struggle and toil have ended! Thee Prowler wouldst lead us all!

Are those Blackstars any good?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I find myself enjoying the type of distortion you get from a Marshall style amp... I can hear how this would be great for a heavy metal application, but it sounds just a tad djenty to me...

The distortion isn't bad, just not quite my thing...

To me the first portion of the distortion sounds kind of hollow, but the second portion where the tempo is picked up I really like... It does sound very modern and aggressive in a good way though!

Cole

• Members

I find myself enjoying the type of distortion you get from a Marshall style amp... I can hear how this would be great for a heavy metal application, but it sounds just a tad djenty to me...

The distortion isn't bad, just not quite my thing...

To me the first portion of the distortion sounds kind of hollow, but the second portion where the tempo is picked up I really like... It does sound very modern and aggressive in a good way though!

Cole

This will probably sound stupid, but I don't really know what djent is. I've seen the term thrown around, but that's it.

I just tweak until I have a sound I like, something thick and heavy, and that's enough for me. :thu:

• Members

This will probably sound stupid, but I don't really know what djent is. I've seen the term thrown around, but that's it.

I just tweak until I have a sound I like, something thick and heavy, and that's enough for me.
:thu:

It is not stupid at all... I don't know how to describe it unfortunately... This youtube clip might be able to explain it :idk:

[video=youtube;a5A5aK33QR4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5A5aK33QR4&feature=related

...and you are right, it is thick and heavy! I used to own an ENGL Fireball and ultimately hated the amp, but I loved the cleans... I find that I just am not a fan of overly compressed distortions (which was what the Fireball sounded like to me). To me the distortion that you have seems to be compressed in certain frequencies, but open in others... I don't know if that makes sense or not...

Your recorded tone sounds great, and I imagine it will sound good in a mix, but I find that I like more of a vintage style distortion... What it comes down to is that YOU are happy with your sound :thu: What you have captured so far does show off good recorded tones... I hope that you don't misinterpret my preference for the type of distortion I like as being better sounding that what you have; and if I did come across that way, it wasn't intended :wave:

Cole

• Members

...and you are right, it is thick and heavy! I used to own an ENGL Fireball and ultimately hated the amp, but I loved the cleans... I find that I just am not a fan of overly compressed distortions (which was what the Fireball sounded like to me). To me the distortion that you have seems to be compressed in certain frequencies, but open in others... I don't know if that makes sense or not...

Your recorded tone sounds great, and I imagine it will sound good in a mix, but I find that I like more of a vintage style distortion... What it comes down to is that YOU are happy with your sound
:thu:
What you have captured so far does show off good recorded tones... I hope that you don't misinterpret my preference for the type of distortion I like as being better sounding that what you have; and if I did come across that way, it wasn't intended
:wave:

Cole

Oh no, of course not. No worries. :)

• Members

I wanted to add that I love your guitar! I read through your build post and you sir do some fantastic work! Those GFS single coils sound very, very nice!

Cole

Thank you very much. They were labors of love, all of them (I made three for me, and a friend of mine and I made three more for him). It's still a real gas to pick up and play a guitar you made from scratch yourself. And they all sound great! :)

• Members

Thank you very much. They were labors of love, all of them (I made three for me, and a friend of mine and I made three more for him). It's still a real gas to pick up and play a guitar you made from scratch yourself. And they all sound great!
:)

I told my wife the other day that I want to get some power tools and shop space to do wood working... Granted it won't be realized for a few more years. I plan on starting to accrue the tools after I get done with pharmacy school when I will have time and money to do it...

I have wanted to build a guitar for years, and seeing guitars like yours makes the itch even stronger!

Cole

• Members

I told my wife the other day that I want to get some power tools and shop space to do wood working... Granted it won't be realized for a few more years. I plan on starting to accrue the tools after I get done with pharmacy school when I will have time and money to do it...

I have wanted to build a guitar for years, and seeing guitars like yours makes the itch even stronger!

Cole

Well, I have to say that I had extraordinarily favorable circumstances. I built them in a cabinet maker's shop owned by a friend of mine. So I had professional woodworking tools available to me every step of the way. That being said, the woodworking aspect of making an electric guitar can be pretty simple depending on the design. I had a few years of fret and nut work experience under my belt before I started, so I already knew how to install frets and level and dress and all that.

But there's many ways to make a guitar. A partscaster is an easy way to start, then maybe making a custom body but using a pre bought neck.

I did everything from beginning to end as a personal challenge for myself, but there's tons of other ways to do things that are just as fun and satisfying. :)

• Members

much! haha

ok probably more whats weirding me out is the tuning and how it almost seems gated in how fluently cut off mutes are

I'll take that as a compliment. :)

No gate, no noise reduction, just an EQ in the loop. :thu:

• Members

Cole

Pharmacy? Colleague here though in other country. Best of luck man!

• Members

Well, I have to say that I had extraordinarily favorable circumstances. I built them in a cabinet maker's shop owned by a friend of mine. So I had professional woodworking tools available to me every step of the way. That being said, the woodworking aspect of making an electric guitar can be pretty simple depending on the design. I had a few years of fret and nut work experience under my belt before I started, so I already knew how to install frets and level and dress and all that.

But there's many ways to make a guitar. A partscaster is an easy way to start, then maybe making a custom body but using a pre bought neck.

I did everything from beginning to end as a personal challenge for myself, but there's tons of other ways to do things that are just as fun and satisfying.
:)

Thanks for the information! I am not familiar with fret work, so I might leave that to a professional when the times comes, but I wouldn't mind trying everything else...

Cole

• Members

Thanks for the information! I am not familiar with fret work, so I might leave that to a professional when the times comes, but I wouldn't mind trying everything else...

Cole

Best wishes if you do! I would also recommend picking up a good book or two on making your own electric guitar. I have one called "Make your own electric guitar" by a British author with the unfortunate name of Melvin Hiscock that is an excellent resource. There's more recent ones as well, just read whatever you can and plan everything out in advance.

Again, best wishes if you decide to give it a go. :thu:

Archived