My City is on fire (literally).....not cool. Pics

gsxrbusa

• Members

Holy {censored}. It is really bad out there.
:(
Stay safe man! I just hope everyone gets out safely!

Outside of figuring out how to conjure up rain, there is pretty much jack {censored} humanity can do when a forest fire gets roaring. They can have some effect on it through burning ahead and stuff like that, but mostly its hope to contain until the winds change/die and rain comes.
:(

This. Without super-sophisticated pinpoint detection of these kinds of fires before the get any steam, there's not a whole lot that can be done.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Mojo sent bro. My wife and I had to evacuate about 11 years ago for that {censored}. Rodeo-Chediski fire in AZ. Scary {censored}. Ended up burning over 470,000 acres and covered and area of over 750,00 acres. I work at a golf course and the fire literally stopped the distance of about a par 5 away from the development. If that area would have caught fire, our entire town would have been smoked.

We were evacuated for over 11 days. Sucked so bad. I had actually quit smoking for about 8 months to that point, but the friends that we went to stay with were all smokers that sat around the t.v. waiting for up to the minute updates. I couldn't stand it. Started smoking again and haven't been able to permanently quit since. The stress and ever flowing tobacco was too much.

Again, mojo sent, bro. Be safe.

• Members

Holy {censored} that's scary.

Its for stuff like this that you should have stuff ready in advanced in case of evacuation. Even before any situation occurs, have important documents and sentimental items (like kid's pictures, etc.) and emergency supplies (like bottled water, some food, etc.) all together in one or two places so in the event of a hasty evacuation you have the most important stuff and are out the door in a minute or two.

If something happened where I needed to evacuate I'd have have everything I'd want to save should the worst happen and everything I need and I'd be gone in 2-3 minutes. Watching people lose a lot of stuff because they didn't prepare and couldn't choose what to save under pressure during the "500 year" flood here a few years ago made me realize how important advanced planning can be.

I hope you and your friends come through safe.

It's amazing the type of {censored} you decide to grab when you're faced with the decision. Pictures and "irreplaceables" are at the top of the list but I'll tell ya dude, when you have a limited time frame it's a frantic search for the things you want to preserve and little of it has a whole lot of monetary value.

• Members

My wifes sister and family are on pre-evac status right now....they may have to come stay here, they had to cut their vacation short to prepare for possible movement....{censored}'s bad here folks. 1000+ firefighters out there battling the blaze. And damn Obama want to come here Friday, WTF?? Stay away until its mostly over or completely over your just going to slow stuff down!!!

• Members

Dudes, my city needs some mojo and prayers. I'm not going to get into much detail, just google it. These pics were taken a few minutes ago from my front porch. Pretty scary {censored}. 0% containment at this point.
:mad::cry:

5654ab45.jpg

7faadb1d.jpg

848cb92c.jpg

a729b5e6.jpg

cf43067e.jpg

I have two friends in the direct line of fire at this point. I'm sure they are ok but worry about there homes. Devastating {censored} if it hits direct.

Man this sucks, keep your head up Bro and stay safe.

• Members

And here's to the guy who started it going to the very real and literal pound-me-in-the-ass prison, and somebody setting a figurative uncontained fire to his butthole.

Do they know it was started by someone deliberately? Coz if so, that's properly {censored}ed. Like the big fires we had here a few years ago, from memory some {censored}er started that deliberately. What kind of {censored}ed up {censored} does something like that? :freak:

And best wishes to Neil and co. with their flooding too.

• Members

A link to a Reddit thread where there's a fire fighter that tells you what to do if you're evacuating.

http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/vo05g/how_can_the_national_media_not_be_covering_this/c567m3o

I'm a firefighter. Sadly, I'm not there, I'm out for this season with an ankle injury and paperwork {censored}-ups. But yes, the weather can and will take a fire and turn it into a monster in a mater of minutes. I saw it happen in Northern California in '08, I saw it happen in LA in '09, and I saw it happen in Northern Nevada in '10. Despite all logic to the contrary, fire is a ravenous creature that will devour anything and everything in it's path. If you are even remotely in an area that can burn, GET THE {censored} OUT NOW. I'm deadly serious, get you, your family, and what bits of precious you can't bear to part with, and leave. Right now, if that's possible. I have watched fire run across the ground at 40 mph, torching old-growth trees to kindling in a matter of seconds. Don't stay. Leave. A home can be rebuilt, a life cannot be remade.

If you have time, prep your house. Cover any and all openings, this means windows, doors, vents, eaves, crawl spaces, any hole you can find needs to be covered with plywood or some other dense, semi-flame resistant material. Pull EVERYTHING away from the sides of your house, from wood piles to that lawn mower you keep meaning to fix to that Rhododendron your wife planted to that empty (or God help you, full) tank of propane. Pull flammable stuff away from windows and doors if it's in the house. And when evac time comes, leave a note on your door with contact info, number of people in your household, and your destination.

I'm so sorry I'm not there to help. I feel like I've let you all down. All I can do is sit here at home, feeling useless, and pass on what info I can. Stay safe, my thoughts are with all of you.

EDIT: For those of you interested, I'm doing an AMA right now. If you have questions about keeping yourself safe, come ask them!!

The link to his Ask Me Anything (AMA)

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/vp4wo/iama_wildland_firefighter_ama/

• Members

My wifes sister and family are on pre-evac status right now....they may have to come stay here, they had to cut their vacation short to prepare for possible movement....{censored}'s bad here folks. 1000+ firefighters out there battling the blaze. And damn Obama want to come here Friday, WTF?? Stay away until its mostly over or completely over your just going to slow stuff down!!!

It's one of the few things that's actually changed in the last 4 years... he's gotta be there to associate himself with it :cop:

Cheap shots on Obama aside though, mucho mojo to everyone in Colorado Springs & Fort Collins!

I was riding through the Highway to the Sun pass in Montana a few years back (2003 I think it was) when there was that big fire there (and on the north side of the border too in Crowsnest Pass). There were flames shooting 100+ feet off the top of trees no more than 300 yards off the road. The firefighters staged at the side of the road looked so tired and worn out, but you could see the resolve in them... it was awesome and surreal and scary as {censored}.

One of my best buddies did the forest firefighter thing for 4-5 years while he was getting experience for a full time city firefighter gig... he's got some crazy stories from those summers man.

• Members

Shouldn't the National Guard be helping significantly at this point?

They will probably help with evacuation and traffic control in the disaster zone. As it was explained to me, not all fires are ones the guardsmen can really help with. Ordinarily they can use people with engineering equipment (earthmovers) to cut firebreaks that help contain the burned area. The fires out west are in country too steep for that to be effective, and the high winds and high altitudes make the embers carry so far that ordinary cleared firebreaks don't work that well.

Similarly, they generally don't want volunteers, because it's so dangerous even for professionals to fight these fires.

• Members

They will probably help with evacuation and traffic control in the disaster zone. As it was explained to me, not all fires are ones the guardsmen can really help with. Ordinarily they can use people with engineering equipment (earthmovers) to cut firebreaks that help contain the burned area. The fires out west are in country too steep for that to be effective, and the high winds and high altitudes make the embers carry so far that ordinary cleared firebreaks don't work that well.

Similarly, they generally don't want volunteers, because it's so dangerous even for professionals to fight these fires.

The National Guard is trained and capable of using helicopter assistance in putting out fires. They should have started that several days ago. That's what they're there for.

• Members

The National Guard is trained and capable of using helicopter assistance in putting out fires. They should have started that several days ago. That's what they're there for.

I'm in fire country. We have horrible years where they fly bombers out of our airport non-stop for months and the valley is full of smoke like those pix the entire summer.

Helicopters are really pretty useless on big fires because of the winds involved. They're not fast enough nor do they have enough payload to be of use for anything other than ferrying crews around.

Plus, the country involved in the fire in CO plus the ones we have here in NorCal and Southern OR is just too rugged to bring in heavy equipment and get big firebreaks made. The problem is the ladderfuel. There's lots of it. We've been neglecting our forests for a hundred years for various reasons and around communities people aren't getting rid of the ladderfuel so when there's a big fire it gets up into the canopy rather than just burning the brush like it would if we'd just left the forests alone a hundred years ago.

Everyone likes the Picturesque home in the woods but you've really gotta know what you're doing when you prep the site and maintain your surroundings or it'll burn at the drop of a hat.

• Members

Sure, I can believe the California NG helo companies are. The ones we have in the east are NOT, although they've done some bad-ass work in rescuing people in hurricanes. Firedrops are NOT a normal sling load that every H-60 jock trains for.

• Members

I really hope everything is ok with gsxrbusa as he hasn't been online for a few days now...

I am good brother. Sorry, have been really busy at work. We are a block away from the evacuation zone so we continued to work. We had a medium sized pump truck and a cop car go down. Had to rebuild both transmissions. Needless to say we were under the gun. My house is around 5miles from ground zero, so we lucked out. We are not out of the woods yet, the biggest part of this fire is still on the edge of town in the north and south(south being the bigger problem). Thanks for everyone's concern, mojo and prayers.

• Members

I am good brother. Sorry, have been really busy at work. We are a block away from the evacuation zone so we continued to work. We had a medium sized pump truck and a cop car go down. Had to rebuild both transmissions. Needless to say we were under the gun. My house is around 5miles from ground zero, so we lucked out. We are not out of the woods yet, the biggest part of this fire is still on the edge of town in the north and south(south being the bigger problem). Thanks for everyone's concern, mojo and prayers.

Good to hear you're ok :thu:

Archived