need a new computer for recording

Mike LX-R

• Members

I'm looking to drop up to $1,000. I want a computer specifically for recording and am most likely to buy Pro Tools 9 or 10 and I'm aware that the software will put me over budget. Remove software from the budget equation for now. Please just learn me on this, what kind of specs I should go for, useful external hardware etc.

Thanks.

• Members

I went with the Samsung 7 series for this purpose.

i7 quad core, 1 TB HD space, 8 GB ram...etc.,

You might be able to get something better or cheaper as a tower instead of a laptop. But these specs are fast enough for me to run any of my DAWs.

• Members

I went with the Samsung 7 series for this purpose.

i7 quad core, 1 TB HD space, 8 GB ram...etc.,

You might be able to get something better or cheaper as a tower instead of a laptop. But these specs are fast enough for me to run any of my DAWs.

Good to know, thank you :thu:

• Members

I built my own, and went through hell regarding compatibility when it came to 64 bit, drivers, glitches and all sorts of nonsense.

If I knew now what I knew then, I would not have bought 80% of the software/hardware I did.

So if I were you, I would go known brand and intel, and the software/hardware is vital because stuff like Mackie CLAIMED it was 64 bit ready, but the drivers were useless etc.

I am usually all about barebones systems, but drivers for audio devices are so fkn bad you should go with mainstream names to avoid conflicts. So its more about avoiding crappy software than it is hardware. Avoid protools on PC's, avoid Sonar X1 at ALL COSTS because it is a bug{censored} fest. If I had to do it all again I would get this:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2811222&CatId=4928

Reaper DAW, Steven Slate 4 for drums, for instruments/synths Komplete Elements and a Roland Quad capture.

• Members

I built my own, and went through hell regarding compatibility when it came to 64 bit, drivers, glitches and all sorts of nonsense.

If I knew now what I knew then, I would not have bought 80% of the software/hardware I did.

So if I were you, I would go known brand and intel, and the software/hardware is vital because stuff like Mackie CLAIMED it was 64 bit ready, but the drivers were useless etc.

I am usually all about barebones systems, but drivers for audio devices are so fkn bad you should go with mainstream names to avoid conflicts. So its more about avoiding crappy software than it is hardware. Avoid protools on PC's, avoid Sonar X1 at ALL COSTS because it is a bug{censored} fest. If I had to do it all again I would get this:

Reaper DAW, Steven Slate 4 for drums, for instruments/synths Komplete Elements and a Roland Quad capture.

What about soundcard/interface?

• Members

What about soundcard/interface?

The last bit: Roland Quad capture.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=1166

Out of all the ones I tried, the Mackie Onyx had the best pres, but worst drivers. The Saffire pro14 had nice pres albeit mellow high end (but pleasing), the Maudio Fast track had crappy pres but rock solid performance. The Roland Quad capture has a very flat honest pre which I really like, but the drivers are pretty damn good. The maudio 1010lt was pretty good for the price/features.

But as for software...I have been through the ringer. You have yourself face-palming yourself because Ilok needs a 6 year old internet browser to transfer licences etc. I thought waves were the best because they are so pricey..only half of their plugs are 64 bit ready! Same for other expensive companies like Soundtoys.

The only reason I stick with Sonar X1 is because I am too lazy to learn a new daw. That program has lost me so much time head scratching because of bugs, it's not even funny.

• Members

Out of all the ones I tried, the Mackie Onyx had the best pres, but worst drivers. The Saffire pro14 had nice pres albeit mellow high end (but pleasing), the Maudio Fast track had crappy pres but rock solid performance. The Roland Quad capture has a very flat honest pre which I really like, but the drivers are pretty damn good. The maudio 1010lt was pretty good for the price/features.

But as for software...I have been through the ringer. You have yourself face-palming yourself because Ilok needs a 6 year old internet browser to transfer licences etc. I thought waves were the best because they are so pricey..only half of their plugs are 64 bit ready! Same for other expensive companies like Soundtoys.

The only reason I stick with Sonar X1 is because I am too lazy to learn a new daw. That program has lost me so much time head scratching because of bugs, it's not even funny.

I have been looking into everything you recommended. Solid advice, thank you.

• Members

I have been looking into everything you recommended. Solid advice, thank you.

• Members

I am usually all about barebones systems, but drivers for audio devices are so fkn bad you should go with mainstream names to avoid conflicts. So its more about avoiding crappy software than it is hardware.
Avoid protools on PC's
, avoid Sonar X1 at ALL COSTS because it is a bug{censored} fest. If I had to do it all again I would get this:

I haven't had any issues:idk:

• Members

I haven't had any issues:idk:

Are you on Win 7 64 bit etc? In my instance, I downloaded the demo, loaded up my ilok with the key and even bought a god damn Mbox mini II (designed for protools) and the thing would hang at random. Do you have a diy PC?

Things like Reaktor were having issues with it. Google PC protools crash and your search engine will explode.

• Members

I didn't jump on that unit yesterday and now it's not available. I got the next best thing for $25 more (dammit), 2gb less memory, .2 ghz less processing.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2713153&Sku=G180-13003

on its way.
:thu:

Tidy. I think extra memory is cheap anyway these days. And it's even more mainstream than the one I suggested.

• Members

Are you on Win 7 64 bit etc? In my instance, I downloaded the demo, loaded up my ilok with the key and even bought a god damn Mbox mini II (designed for protools) and the thing would hang at random. Do you have a diy PC?

Things like Reaktor were having issues with it. Google PC protools crash and your search engine will explode.

I was using windows XP then later windows 7 64bit and it worked fine BUT now, that I think about it I remember going in and tweaking all the settings to optimize it for protools use. I had two different hardware protocols set up one for ProTools and one for everything else. I totally see your point, it is kind of a pain using PT on a PC. I don't remember doing much of anything when using it on a Mac.

In either case, I've since quit using ProTools (though I still have a license for ver 9) and just use Reason now.

• Members

I'll be putting together the exact setup you recommended, and thank you for that by the way.

Haha. Cool. The quad capture has this nifty feature where it has a sensor that tells you what the best recording input gain is. So you play the guitars loudest part...It then highlights (with an LED) where you should have your mic input gain set.

Contact Steven Slates sales direcly and ask are there any deals/coupons before you buy. And don't forget to buy the stuff from Loop. PM me if you need his email address since he is awol. He will get you the quad capture for cheap.

• Members

I was using windows XP then later windows 7 64bit and it worked fine BUT now, that I think about it I remember going in and tweaking all the settings to optimize it for protools use. I had two different hardware protocols set up one for ProTools and one for everything else. I totally see your point, it is kind of a pain using PT on a PC. I don't remember doing much of anything when using it on a Mac.

In either case, I've since quit using ProTools (though I still have a license for ver 9) and just use Reason now.

Yarp. I hated the PT GUI interface too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

New computer is set up. Bought Reaper DAW and Steven Slate 4 last night. Gonna wait a couple weeks to buy Komplete Elements.

I run this mixer http://www.mackie.com/products/402vlz3/

into this interface that I've had for years http://www.zzounds.com/item--MDOAPUSB

Turns out that my interface set-up was already pretty decent so I'm not going to be getting any new interface. I should have some clips coming in the next few weeks, because I know everyone cares.. :lol:

Archived