Neodymium Speakers?

grunge782

• Members

What are your guys thoughts on Neodymium speakers? I've been looking to get either some G12H30's or Greenbacks, but I had heard that ceramic are generally a bit more trebley/bitey than alnico with a tighter response. I've been thinking instead of going with some alnico's then, but I'm not sure how alnico's will handle higher gain applications.

So do these Neodymium speakers sit somewhere in the middle? Only thing I'd be concerned about would be the speakers sounding too "sterile" or flat. I'm looking for some speakers that can cover a little bit of everything from cleans to hi-gain.

• Members

I have the Jensen 100 watters in my 2x12, the clip I put up here is that cab:
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2934736-7-watts-of-Fookin-Fury-Bludotone-Anubis

That is only a 7 watt amp that I am borrowing. My amp is a 100 watter, these Neos remind me of Celestion 75s with a bit thicker low end. They did take a bit of break in, but the are tight and smooth. Definitely not sterile, but they are warm and even.

I hope it helps!

• Members

Ive found that most Neo speakers sound a bit sterile and with less bass in PA and bass applications but ive never really tried them for guitar.

As for alnico's for high gain i cant really think of one off the top of my head, alnico's usually arent as tight because of the magnet structure and usually on high gain stuff you dont want your speakers to sound too floppy.

• Members

Neos are getting pretty expensive (something about china restricting export of rare earth metals).

I have all neo speakers, but it's a weight thing for me. I don't feel like going that route would be a tone choice - there's just so much more variety in ceramic speakers and they're generally way less expensive.

The common things I've found between different neos is they tend to have a leaner low end, and they also have this weird high end sizzle that can't really be dialed out.

Archived