NAD! Randall I am disappoint.

Crunchtime

• Members

First off, I have always been a Randall guy. I've owned a lot of high dollar amps and always feel at home on a Randall. So, when I saw the RT503 being blown out for $278 I assumed it was a no brainer. I ordered without hesitation.

The RT503 arrived today via UPS ninja. I stepped out to take care of my dogs and noticed a Randall box at the back door. I rushed the amp in and noticed the box read B stock. Not exactly sure what that means but, I don't like the sound of that. Anyway amp was packed very well and looked great.

DSCF000227.jpg

Next I opened the little box with the footswich. No manual, power cable, or 6 pinfootswitch cable. I was bummed most about the foot switch cable because the flake I got my T2 was a total flake ass and I could never get him to send 6 pin footswitch cable for T2 switch. Oh well.

Anyway the amp looked sweet and build seem well too. First thing I do is hook it up and check the bias via the handy rear bias points. Here's where things get dicey. I wanted to try the amp at 35mv per tube. The stock reading was 41mv so I went to adjust it and the lowest setting I could achieve was 40mv per tube. Not good in my book.

So I fire it up with my ESP XJ6 and go through the channels. First thing I notice is the lack of volume. The amp seems to be fine, it is just really lacking in volume. The lead channel would not breath untill the channel volume was maxed and the master was at 3 O'clock! I maxed the master and was surprised how weak the volume was. I've never maxed a tube amp before.

I start fiddling with the knobs and realize the reverb and clean channel bright switch do not work. Randall, I have always been a pimp for you. Why hast though forsaken me?

Regarding the tone, it is actually pretty good. The clean is good and can achieve a nice rock tone with the gain up. Did not spend anytime really on OD1 but it seemed like a lesser version of OD2. OD2 was actually really good. Just the way I like a Randall high gain channel. Tight as {censored}, tons of gain, and a mean as {censored} saturation. Sounds just like the way I remember the Ultra XL module when I had the MTS amp.

If everything worked and the volume was not so anemic, it would be a steal. However, this is the first Randall I have been disappointed in. It is going back. I am sad.

• Members

If it's the same as the MTS amps, just order a 6 pin midi cable. I got mine from guitar-cable.com and worked like a champ.

I dont think its the same. I ordered two 6 pin cables and both of them were ineffective in all the switching functions.

• Members

Mine was certainly lacking in volume, even after i revalved it. I frequently had the master flat out just to get the volume from this amp, its just not a very loud 50w!

They do sound good on their own though, its only when it goes into a band mix that it really suffers, theres just no cut through at all on any of the channels. As a practice amp its great, but the stupid amount of low end and the vocing of the amp just make it unsuitable for loud live bands.

• Members

Mine was certainly lacking in volume, even after i revalved it. I frequently had the master flat out just to get the volume from this amp, its just not a very loud 50w!

They do sound good on their own though, its only when it goes into a band mix that it really suffers, theres just no cut through at all on any of the channels. As a practice amp its great, but the stupid amount of low end and the vocing of the amp just make it unsuitable for loud live bands.

Something's wrong.. it shouldn't be like that.

• Members

So this thing has tubes and you never swapped anything to find out if the tubes are defective?

Yes, tried new tubes this morning with no improvement. Had to borrow some 6L6's from a friend. The amps I have here right now have no 6L6.

I suspected this would be the case. The amp sounds good, it is just not loud. It would actually be great for a home player. The bias and reverb issues are enough to make me not want it of course. Not interested in trying to work it out as amp is being discontinued and I've not heard great things about Randall cs lately.

• Members

FYI, "B-Stock" means somebody returned it and MF is reselling it again, although since these were on backorder, I would have thought these would have come straight from the factory, but I guess not.

Mine is out for delivery today, Im sorta bummed to hear this review tho :( Ill report back when I get mine.

Archived