Polepiece Orientation

Brushthrower

• Members

Hi,

Stupid question time:

I just got a new set of GFS Dream 180s to put into my Vantage VA 900. I was a bit careless and didn't check beforehand that the polepieces line up. They're pretty much centred on the inner four strings, but the top and bottom Es lay at the inner edge of the outside polepieces. Is this going to make a huge difference sound-wise?

• Members

They should be fine, and the pups line up that way on many guitars. As long as the strings are inside to pole pieces you should be set, though it may take a bit of tweaking to get it perfect. If you can't get a balance by adjusting overall pup height, you can try raising the high E pole a touch.

• Members

Neck pups are often narrower than bridge so they fit. If the neck is in the bridge position the Ohms will usually be less as well.

As far as having it being too narrow, if you back it off from the strings a bit it shouldnt make a huge difference because the magnetic field disperces quite a bit, close up it can definately affect the loudness/tone of the strings that arent centerd.

• Members

... if you back it off from the strings a bit it shouldnt make a huge difference because the magnetic field disperces quite a bit, close up it can definately affect the loudness/tone of the strings that arent centerd.

In my experience, GFS pups benefit from a little room anyway. Perhaps because they tend to be wound hot.

• Members

Your right Mr brown. They do tend to be wound hot. The lower notes shouldn be a big issue but the High E may suffer. Sometimes its actually better through an amp, For recording it may be an issue loosing definition recording guitar solos or having nots drop out as you move up the neck and the strings get closer to the poles.

• Members

Thanks for the responses everyone. Panic over.

Should not make much difference .I doubt you will notice

Thats a nice guitar with good pick ups. Why did you change them? Can I ask

As far as why I changed them, I had just heard great things about the Dream 180s and wanted to give them a try. I actually have another guitar I'm working on so I may switch them around (after a little experimenting, of course). Oh, yeah...and I just like to tinker! ;)

Archived