Peavey Ultra Plus humming like a mofo

Lucius

• Members

Its got that low hmmmmmmmmmmmm that increases with the master volume. I can have nothing plugged into the amp and doesn't matter which channel is selected. I swapped out all the tubes with new ones and it still does it. Do I have to take it apart and resolder some joints. Cheers, Lucius

• Members

Its got that low hmmmmmmmmmmmm that increases with the master volume. I can have nothing plugged into the amp and doesn't matter which channel is selected. I swapped out all the tubes with new ones and it still does it. Do I have to take it apart and resolder some joints. Cheers, Lucius

Does it make a difference if the Reverb is on or off?

• Members

this is pretty common issue and is often solved by re-seating/cleaning the ribbon cables, often in the FX loop. New PS caps can help noise too, I managed to double the filtering on my Ultra+ 212 for about $50 .

Good to know, i'll give that a go. Also, it just so happens I'm staring at a bunch of filter caps on my workbench right now ( I just designed a power supply for another application). Cheers, Lucius

• Members

I have the same "problem" with my XXX and it is the reverb doing the humming which increases with volume with nothing plugged in. It is not excessive but it is there but not using reverb...solves it and I never cared for the onboard reverb anyway so...

Hope it is something simple man. Plug the GSP straight in and see if it is power amp related!

• Members

I have the same "problem" with my XXX and it is the reverb doing the humming which increases with volume with nothing plugged in. It is not excessive but it is there but not using reverb...solves it and I never cared for the onboard reverb anyway so...

Hope it is something simple man. Plug the GSP straight in and see if it is power amp related!

Doesn't matter what is plugged where, I use the GSP in the 4cm and every other variation as well. It is definately after the preamp tubes. Cheers, Lucius

• Members

FYI I managed to fit the following snap-in caps in mine:

C51, C52 (330uF/350v) -> 680uF/350v about 35 X 32 (dia X height)

C53, C54 (100uF/350v) -> 220uF/350v about 22 X 30 (dia X height)

but double check height clearances

best sound came from C76, C75 ->2.2nF/630v and C35-> 1uF/25v film

also added JSX res/pres circuit which helps dial in the pain at low volumes

Archived