Speaker suggestions?

DeadNight Warrior

• Members

Anyone feel like giving any speaker suggestions for a 2x12?

I've got one V30 lying around to possibly pair with something else, but I'm not hugely into that upper mid-spike. I guess one problem is I'm in a band with a double bass player, and his instrument doesn't really fill the low end the same way I'm used to with electric basses in rock/metal stuff. So while I'm not looking to take over his low end, I think something a bit fuller sounding is in order.

I'm wondering if CL80s are maybe more what I'm after? :confused: Or maybe something from WGS? Is their take on the CL80 any good? Or does their V30 tame the mid-spike enough that I might be converted? I've looked at the shipping cost to get their stuff over here, and while it's not particularly cheap (nearly as much as the speakers), it still works out at about the same price as say a V30 here, because this country is a worthless {censored}hole for gear. :idk:

And no, I'm not putting EV12Ls in there. Aside from costing a small {censored}load, I also live a floor up. There's no way I'm carrying that {censored} up and down the stairs every time I play with the band. :o

• Members

I'm thinking this is gonna get very expensive. :o I wanna pick up something quick locally I can use for now as we've got a gig on this week and I want to get the sound sorted to at least a decent level this weekend. I'm still curious about the WGS stuff though. But with the cost of freight on those... well it's not really worth buying just one speaker... so I might as well buy two and be paying less freight per unit. :facepalm: The ET65 sounds promising, but I think I might leave WGS 'til I have some more cash later on to do more speaker experimenting.

Raf... Not sure it's so much a huge low end that I'm after, probably more like a big full warm mid-range. I've already discovered it's quite easy to just stomp all over the bassist's sound with too much low end, and all you end up hearing from him is the percussive slaps. But between his low end and clickity-clack, there's a huge gap. And I'm not sure the V30 fills that. It's just shrill high mids until you try tame that, and then you've got... nothing much. Aside from the low end, what's the rest of the K100 like?

• Members

i think this site has better shipping rates than getting direct from WGS, does anyone have experience ordering from them?

http://www.tonetronix.com/p/WGS-Retro-30-Speaker.html

i have the wgs vet 30 and et 65 combo in my whitebox and love it. i also have k100s in my avatar and they are great too. the k100s dont break up very easily though but they can handle a ton of power.

• Members

Well, I'm in {censored} now. I found out Celestion have a new distributor here, just a few suburbs away from where I work. And they also sell the speakers direct to the public, which is better than having to get a store to order {censored} in (coz no one here {censored}ing stocks anything) and paying the ridiculous mark ups. Actually, the prices are pretty much comparable to what you guys would pay in the US, which has to be some kind of first in Australian guitar gear history. :eek:

So for now I've ordered a couple of CL80s, as despite all the recommendations here (thanks :)), I also did a lot of reading elsewhere and I got the impression the CL80 is going to suit me nicely. I'll run it stereo with the V30 and compare the two... maybe I'll pair 'em up, maybe I'll run both CL80s. Or maybe I won't like it in the end. In which case I'll just order something different from the distributor until eventually I have a pile of speakers and no money left. :facepalm:

On top of that, I'm still curious about the WGS stuff. :facepalm:

• Members

I had a few CL80's over the years. I liked them quite a bit. Mixed with a V30, even better. Good choice.

Just remember, give them some time to break in. Mine sounded a bit cardboard'ish for the first few hours and needed some volume to get broken in properly.

• Members

they're all the same.

tone is in the dick

Well I might as well just give up then. :cry:

I've had 75s before, although I never paired them with V30s. I can definitely see how they'd play nice together. But I get the feeling I just need to get away from the V30 entirely. Dunno... I guess I'll just keep experimenting and see what happens.

• Members

I had a few CL80's over the years. I liked them quite a bit. Mixed with a V30, even better. Good choice.

Just remember, give them some time to break in. Mine sounded a bit cardboard'ish for the first few hours and needed some volume to get broken in properly.

Thanks for the tip. :) They should be turning up here any time now. I'll bash 'em in the cab tonight and play around a bit (only low volumes though), do some more tomorrow night and Saturday, and then Sunday I'll get to put 'em through a good few hours of high volume band practice.

Handily I can run my rig stereo and easily control the two volumes separately (although actual use will just be mono), so I'll put just one in and see how it sounds compared with the V30. Go between the two, see how well they blend when used together. At 60W and 80W I could probably even just run it stereo and tweak the two sides separately to get the best from each speaker but... meeeeeeehhhh.... like I can be {censored}ed doing that. :o

Archived