2045: The Year Man Becomes Immortall

Cibyl

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
A long read but interesting none-the-less:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2048299-1,00.html

On the OP, though ... y'all all need to read all four of Dan Simmons' Hyperion books, if you find this sort of ... impending doom ... interesting. About the best exploration of all angles of it I've yet come across.

Hyperion

The Fall of Hyperion

Endymion

The Rise of Endymion

Read 'em now, y'all. :thu:

• Members

On the OP, though ... y'all all need to read all four of Dan Simmons' Hyperion books, if you find this sort of ... impending doom ... interesting. About the best exploration of all angles of it I've yet come across.

Hyperion

The Fall of Hyperion

Endymion

The Rise of Endymion

Read 'em now, y'all.
:thu:

I will check these out as I do find doom scenarios,...or dystopian banter interesting.

• Members

Hyperion

The Fall of Hyperion

Endymion

The Rise of Endymion

Read 'em now, y'all.

Singularity Theory doesn't really have anything to do with doomsday.

• Members

even if we're able to upload our consciousness, there is no immortality. the universe IS going to end.

well, not so much end as just go completely cold and dark. it's a long way off, but it's going to happen. we'd have to find a new galaxy to "live" in first, though.

• Members

Kurzweil has said all kinds of crazy {censored}. He takes hundreds of pills of day thinking it will help him live long enough to see nano technology progress to the point of keeping our bodies alive indefinitely. He's also said he hopes this same technology will resurrect his dead father.

• Members

Hyperion

The Fall of Hyperion

Endymion

The Rise of Endymion

Read 'em now, y'all.

Those books are AMAZING. Absolutely, without doubt, my favorite books ever. And, ultimately, the story is not so much about doom as it is about the endless ability of humanity to reach both the pinacle, and the utter trenches of the human condition, sometimes at the same moment.

Anyone reading them for the first time should be made aware they were written before the true rise of the Internet. Some of the concepts are just "well duh" today, but at the time it was written the concepts were completely unheard of outside of a few nerds here or there with crazy sci-fi ambitions.

As for the subject at hand, my greatest hope is we reach a point where a human mind can be "copied" into hardware and operated from that hardware. So many possible applications. Exploring deep oceans, deep space, mining, so SO many possibilities.

Everyone else seems to think that day would be the end of everything. I see it more as a new beginning. Humanity's greatest strength is in its ability to embrace change when it is thrust upon them. It's greatest weakness at the moment seems to be it's near inexhaustable ability to fight it when it's only a concept.

• Members
Those books are AMAZING. Absolutely, without doubt, my favorite books ever. And, ultimately, the story is not so much about doom as it is about the endless ability of humanity to reach both the pinacle, and the utter trenches of the human condition, sometimes at the same moment.

Anyone reading them for the first time should be made aware they were written before the true rise of the Internet. Some of the concepts are just "well duh" today, but at the time it was written the concepts were completely unheard of outside of a few nerds here or there with crazy sci-fi ambitions.

As for the subject at hand, my greatest hope is we reach a point where a human mind can be "copied" into hardware and operated from that hardware. So many possible applications. Exploring deep oceans, deep space, mining, so SO many possibilities.

Everyone else seems to think that day would be the end of everything. I see it more as a new beginning. Humanity's greatest strength is in its ability to embrace change when it is thrust upone them. It's greatest weakness at the moment seems to be it's near inexhaustable ability to fight it when it's only a concept.

Actually, what he said (since he said it better)! :D

Archived