I found a guitar at Guitar Center unexpectedly...

colejustesen

• Members

I usually go in there to get minor things like strings, picks, etc. I was browsing the used guitar wall and found a Yamaha RGX-620Z for a pretty good price. Though, whoever had it before let the muck really build up on it (around the frets and on the body/neck), as well a scratchy toggle switch, and a loose volume pot. Other than those minor things, this guitar sounded really good (for having old strings and muck on them). The playability on this guitar was awesome, and to my dismay the lack of fret markers didn't throw me off at all...

They had it on sale for $229, so I put a $100 down on it to put it on layaway. I pointed out all the issues that I noticed, so they were going to tighten down the volume pot, De-Oxy the pots and toggle switch and clean it up for me.

This guitar was quite impressive! This is the model (but not the exact one, but same color)...

yamaha-rgx-series-rgx620z-trans-dark-red

Cole

• Members

Nice! I have owned two and they are exceptional players. Cool that it still has the trem arm, too!
:thu:

That picture isn't the one I am getting... They weren't sure if it has the trem arm or not. When I go in to pick it up, if they confirm that they don't have it, I am going to ask for them to reduce the price, as I will need to buy one. I think that is a fair request :idk:

Cole

• Members

That picture isn't the one I am getting... They weren't sure if it has the trem arm or not. When I go in to pick it up, if they confirm that they don't have it, I am going to ask for them to reduce the price, as I will need to buy one. I think that is a fair request
:idk:

Cole

Certainly. Pretty sure it is a 5mm arm. Is yours that color? I have had a blue one and a red one.

• Members

Certainly. Pretty sure it is a 5mm arm. Is yours that color? I have had a blue one and a red one.

Yeah it is that color... It looks pretty good, though I had my eye on one being sold locally that was the blue burst one... I really like the look of that blue color, but this one looks pretty sharp too!

Cole

• Members

Always wanted to try one of these. Love the weight. Not really my style though

I was quite surprised when I played it. I was expecting it to be meh, as most of the guitars that I try in the used section are horribly taken care of. The signs of muck on the guitar led me to believe that it was going to be a similar experience. So if it can sound/play good without the love, then I imagine it is going to be a real gem once it is all cleaned up!

The neck radius is just shy of 14", but the neck isn't super flat. It is more rounded, but it still plays effortlessly. The way it was setup, the action wasn't nearly as low as the Pacifica 912 that I just got, but it was low enough for me! Also, I was really surprised at the stock pickups. The bridge sounded nice and crunchy, and the neck was warm and clear. I played it through a Peavey 5150 1x12 combo and on the rhythm channel, with the gain lower it sounded really good. The amp responded really well to the volume being adjusted on the guitar, so I can imagine that it will be the same for my amp.

I will have to take some pictures for you all when I pick it up!

Cole

Archived