volume fluctuates on my PV windsor

hcprimerib

• Members

My Peavey Windsor, the volume fluctuates while playing. So chording, leads, whatever, the perceivable volume jumps around quite a bit. Has new preamp tubes. I put in some known good power tubes, still does it. I'm thinking maybe the old tubes that were in it might have knocked something out of whack.

Any ideas what it could be? Screen grid resistors? I don't think they'd fluctuate like that. Maybe caps? Any suggestions would be appreciated

• Members

Hmm not sure. I had a similar issue with an old Laney Protube. It ended up being something with the effects loop. What fixed it was putting contact cleaner on cable jack and then insert/remove a couple times into effects send and receive jacks.

Weird but it worked.

+1 If it has an effects loop, run a guitar cable between the send and return and see if the problem goes away. If it does, clean the jacks or leave a patch cable plugged into the S&R...

• Members

cleaned the loop with deoxit a couple of times. no better. so I started idiot testing it. playing through it while pushing and pulling on things. and BAM, I tap a preamp tube and the sound nearly cuts out completely. I jiggle it a bit and the volume is all over the place and cutting out. so it's most likely a bad preamp tube socket that is pcb mounted. I've never seen a preamp socket go before but this is chinese made.

• Members

cleaned the loop with deoxit a couple of times. no better. so I started idiot testing it. playing through it while pushing and pulling on things. and BAM, I tap a preamp tube and the sound nearly cuts out completely. I jiggle it a bit and the volume is all over the place and cutting out. so it's most likely a bad preamp tube socket that is pcb mounted. I've never seen a preamp socket go before but this is chinese made.

I see it all the time. Bad cheap manufacturing processes. You don't wave solder components that are going to be under high current, high voltage and high power dissipation. It just heats up and cracks over time.

Have to remove the board and resolder those socket pins.

• 1 year later...
  • Members
My Peavey Windsor' date=' the volume fluctuates while playing. So chording, leads, whatever, the perceivable volume jumps around quite a bit. Has new preamp tubes. I put in some known good power tubes, still does it. I'm thinking maybe the old tubes that were in it might have knocked something out of whack.

Any ideas what it could be? Screen grid resistors? I don't think they'd fluctuate like that. Maybe caps? Any suggestions would be appreciated[/quote']I recently picked up a PV Windsor from a private seller.This one, also, has the volume fluctuation issue.Did you ever find what was causing the problem with yours ?

• Members

I see it all the time. Bad cheap manufacturing processes. You don't wave solder components that are going to be under high current, high voltage and high power dissipation. It just heats up and cracks over time.

Have to remove the board and resolder those socket pins.

Welcome to the world of the modern tube amp tech. Most modern (PCB) Fender amps I get in my shop require resoldering on the circuit board. The input jack on a Blues Deluxe becomes an issue because it is soldered to the circuit board and it is a PITA to repair because the circuit board and all the knobs must be removed then put back together after a touchup with the iron.

Archived