The amp over the gun: advice on a new amp for me?

cacheek

• Members

Made a sale and now I have some cash. I was going to buy a Glock Gen4, but I went to the music store and started gassing again. My buddy who owns the place said he might be getting a DRRI in tomorrow. That's one of the amps on my wish list. BUT, I'm also going to be selling (hopefully) some other stuff soon. I'm loving the Legacy I bought, and I know I'll like the DRRI with a pedal for gain.

So, my dilemma is this: I'll have somewhere between 700 and 900 bucks to spend on something else. I'm thinking another guitar with some humbuckers, or I might switch out the pickups in two of my guitars, pick up a JCA22 head, and get some pedals (I have a wah and an MXR Classic Overdrive).

Which route would you go?

• Members

Depends what you wanna do, soundwise....So you will have the legacy and DRRI? Then either another guitar or a JCA? Those amps should cover TONS of ground already. Id think the legacy would be capable of getting JCA ish tones, and you could probably do the same with the DRRI and some pedals, so that would eliminate that option in my head. What/how many guitars to you currently have? Id probably lean toward switching some pickups, grabbing some pedals, and banking the rest.

However, I like to plug right in to my 5150...so take that for what it is lol.

• Members

do you already have an amp? is it pretty good?

if so, get the damn glock

Right now, I have five electrics: A 98 Les Paul Standard with the 500/498 pickups (490/498? It's stock and doesn't have burstbuckers), a 2009 Les Paul with burstbuckers, Les Paul special with P90s (would swap out these for Duncan noiseless), a Schecter C-1 Exotic, and a Fender Standard Strat (I switch out the pickups here to a stacked hot rails in the back, something stacked in the front, and a noiseless in the center plus sperzel tuners).

Pedal wise I do want a delay, a really nice gainy pedal (like a fulltone or something similar), and a Boss Loop pedal.

Guitar wise, well, I like guitars period, so lots of stuff.

• Members

Do you really want to buy either or just like the feeling you get from buying stuff? An amp and a gun are two totally different things .... I can see changing your mind between a stratocaster and a telecaster .... but going from gun to amp is a pretty big jump. Maybe wait a day or two and your desire may change to want a new TV ... or a nice leather bag ... or a Dyson vacuum ... or you could pay down some bills, credit cards ... maybe save it ???

Archived